Print Thread
Rate Thread
M22's as fronts and M3’s as center?
#6164 10/03/02 03:51 PM
Bfreq Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I’m thinking about getting a set of M22s to run as fronts and a set of M3’s to run as a center (using both of the M3’s as center). The reasoning of this is because I’m on a budget, so I would like to build my system in stages. I also would like to compare the M22’s to the M3’s. Going the M22/M3 route would enable me to make the M3’s rears when I decide to upgrade, or I could even put the M3’s as a second bedroom system.

Would this system sound OK for an interim setup (M22’s as fronts and M3’s as center), or should I look at different center options? Even though it is an interim setup, I would like it to be acceptable. I’m going to be using my system to listen to music 70% of the time, and movies the other 30%. As far as the music side, I listen to a wide variety of music, but lean to rock and pop, but would like a system that would enable me to enjoy any kind of music. Are the M22’s going to perform OK for this since I have a sub? I might upgrade my sub eventually also depending on if my current sub matches the axioms OK for me. If anyone has any other options and ideas, I would like to hear these also.

Re: M22's as fronts and M3’s as center?
#6165 10/03/02 08:46 PM
shareholder in the making
B,the ideal would be to have the center sound identical to the mains, or at least as similar as possible. A single M2(no reason to use 2 and Axiom sells them singly)would match the M22s more closely than the M3 would. The M22s should be excellent combined with a good sub.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#6166 10/04/02 09:17 PM
Bfreq Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Why does the m2 match the m22 better then the m3? I hadn’t thought of this option, so I thought it over for a day…..Would the m2 sound full enough? If the m2 would sound full enough, the only problem with going that route is it limits my flexibility. I would like to build my system in steps. So using the 2 m3s for center temporarily lets me get the vp100 or vp150 later and put the m3s on as the rears (or even put the m3s on a different system, and get the qs4s or qs8s as rears). I think I would probably prefer the vp100 or vp150 sound over the m2 as center. Also, if I get 1 m2, then when I upgrade, I only have 1 m2, and I cant use it anywhere else. But on the other hand, if using 1 or 2 m3s as center isn’t a acceptable interim solution, and I would be happy with 1 m2 as a center permanently, then this would be a good consideration.

#6167 10/05/02 03:45 AM
B, the M22 and M2 use the same mid-woofer( the M22 has 2, of course). The M3 has a different one and has a slightly depressed midrange compared with the others. You can check this on the M2, M3, M22 reviews by SoundStage which can be found at ecoustics.com and which include the NRC measurements showing frequency response among other things.

If by "full" you mean low bass, the answer is definitely not, but you said that you'd be using a sub, and that is what will supply the low bass to the other speakers.

On flexibility, understand that if you get one M2 now, you can get a second later if you want them as surrounds. Also, don't assume that you'd prefer a VP to a vertical M2 as center. Many prefer the sound of a vertical center speaker similar to the mains to that of a horizontal array. Don't be surprised if you prefer a M2 center and QSs as surrounds.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020