Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Disgruntled Bose Owner Seeks Axiom Setup Advice
#61791 09/22/04 05:34 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Like many others, several years ago I became mesmerized at a Bose store demonstration...how can such little speakers put out so much sound...and ended up purchasing a Lifestyle 25 system and a pair of 901s.

For years, the sound from the speakers never seemed to be as good as when I heard them in the store...I have tried using better cables, and even blamed the poor sound quality on the fact that I was living in small apartments at the time. After doing some internet research, I have come to the conclusion that Bose is just smoke and mirrors...and I am now considering replacing my system with an Axiom setup.

So I am looking for advice. I like all kinds of movies from Science Fiction to Action to Adventure to Comedies, so I want a setup that is flexible in that regard. As far as music, I listen to a lot of heavy metal, progressive rock and classic rock...the problem I have with Bose is that for bands like Metallica and Korn, the drums and guitars become a muddled mess of sound, with the lyrics lost somewhere in the mix.

I want recommendations based on different budgets, so I can determine bang for my buck value. I used the speaker selection wizard on Axion's webpage, but I am curious what other Axiom users would recommend.

As I am using a crappy Yamaha amplifier to drive my 901s, I will most likely be replacing that as well...so recommendations on what I should use to drive my speakers and play my CDs and DVDs would be appreciated...this will ultimately tie into a large screen tv upgrade at some point, but right now I want to go top end on my audio/video/speaker hardware.

Re: Disgruntled Bose Owner Seeks Axiom Setup Advice
#61792 09/22/04 05:37 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
On a side note, I am dealing with a room that is approximately 250 ft^2. While I understand that speaker placement and quality plays a huge role in speaker selection, I want a setup that is adaptable to my current space, but is also suitable for when I finally do move from my apartment into a new home.

#61793 09/22/04 05:37 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

and ended up purchasing a Lifestyle 25 system and a pair of 901s.

A Lifestyle system? Did you buy speakers or condoms?

New lifestyle with resevoir tip... the perfect companion when you unbutton your 901s!

Bren R.

#61794 09/22/04 05:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
easy on the guy bren, he just got here...

there are hundreds of combos you could go with to make a really bad-a$$ system for yourself. obviously, if budget is a concern, you must start there.

find yourself a price range that is within your means, and go from there.. mixing and matching different speakers is common, so there is no real set way of doing things. i would suggest to get the QS4's or QS8's as surrounds cause thats what they are specifically designed to do. both are great speakers and will work well with any front and center combo. if you are looking for big sound from a small speaker, look at the M22's as fronts. you will need a sub to fill in the bottem end void from these speakers, but a sub is a necessity for any true HT set-up. if you have a bigger space and more money, then move up to the M50's or M60's for fronts. those can just about handle anything you can give them. the VP100 or VP150 are both great centers. once again, depending on budget and room size, i am sure either will get the job done.

as far as the sub, i think if you are looking for the best bang for buck, you can find it elsewhere.. the SVS and HSU brands of subs are slightly cheaper, and are rated slightly better than the axiom subs. they are not available in the same 'custom finishes' that the axioms are, but thats the trade off.. looks or sound?? you choose.

i know this was vague, but its a start. the axiom line are ALL great speakers, and you wont go wrong with picking them. good luck in your research ahead!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#61795 09/22/04 05:56 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I realize you get a lot of newbies with shotgun blast, hey what should I buy questions...I know it also depends alot on personal preference.

Let's say a budget of around $1500 on speakers, give or take a few hundred. That is my budget for speakers alone at this point...although I am also researching CD/DVD player and tuner upgrades as well.

Re: Disgruntled Bose Owner Seeks Axiom Setup Advic
#61796 09/22/04 05:59 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Where do you live? Perhaps you could audition some of Axiom's lineup with one of us. (see the top thread in the Questions and Comments section for a list of who's where with what.

Does that $1500 include a sub? Because it should.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#61797 09/22/04 06:01 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

easy on the guy bren, he just got here...

Nah, wasn't a potshot at him... I like new guys - the lifeblood of any forum, new questions, new opinions and new points of view.

I was just joking about the naming conventions for Bose speakers.

Didn't mean it to sound like a shot, Starbuck... didn't think it'd be taken that way. Welcome aboard.

Bren R.

#61798 09/22/04 07:05 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
nice avatar--battlestar galactica--i used to love that show!

OK.. made a little list here, a good place for you to start within your budget.

M22ti's for mains, $400 or $360 from factory outlet.
VP150 center, $350 or $315 from factory outlet.
QS4's surrounds, $370 or $333 factory outlet.

thats a total of $1120 for new speakers, or get the factory outlets for $1008, saving you around $110 bucks. now, the factory outlets are still great speakers. they have small 'dings' or 'flaws', but sound just the same. in fact, most who have ordered from the factory have never even found the defect it was supposed to have.

and, to finish up the system, get the new SVS PB10-ISD sub. it runs $400, with an additional shipping fee.

so you are getting a GREAT HT and music system, for around $1520 new, or the factory outlets will be around $1410.

plan on spending around $100-$150 bucks on speaker wire and interconnectors, and you will be good to go.. now we need to look at some receivers!!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#61799 09/22/04 07:24 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Big John, interesting that your setup gave me a very similar layout on speakers as the online wizard did. I kind of figured that the various speaker functions and components (front, center, rear) is kind of a sliding bar in terms of what I can afford and the space I am working with. Of course the whole, bigger must be better logic is kicking in, so I will probably go well over budget to have monstrous floor speakers.

Interesting that you are recommending a sub from a different company as opposed to what Axiom has to offer...any particular reason?

One thing I have never understood is the difference between Receivers and Amplifiers...the thing is I really dont know what to take into consideration in terms of capabilities when looking at a particular tuner...so I guess the obvious question is either what you guys use or recommend.

I also know that not all CD/DVD players are created equal, so what should I be looking at for that component.

#61800 09/22/04 07:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

One thing I have never understood is the difference between Receivers and Amplifiers

Again, there's some leeway in nonclamenture here.

Most simply:
A receiver is what you're used to seeing, it has a radio tuner and switches audio sources at line level, amplifies them and sends them out to the speakers.

An A/V receiver is the same, but it also switches video sources.

An amp simply amplifies the signal, no source switching.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020