Rate Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Rocket 750 vs Axiom M60
#62165 09/26/04 11:50 PM
lomb7 Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I just got my pair of Rocket 750's in yesterday, set them up and listened to a qick few songs. If anyone is interested in a full write up (after sometime) I would be happy to do this. Be warned, I am no tech and will not use sound meters, nor do I have a top of the line reciever (Outlaw 1050). My review will be honest and to the point. Ever since I came onto this board I have heard of the Rocket vs Axiom questions. Since listening to both brands is the way to go, and I needed two more speakers, I thought what the hell, lets get the Rockets. I do love the M60's and no matter what happens I will keep my Axiom line up for HT and use the Rockets for 2 channel only.

Anyway, if there is interest I will do a write up on what I hear but please keep in mind that this is a write up of Rockets top of the line vs an Axioms that is second to the M80.

See ya.

Re: Rocket 750 vs Axiom M60
#62166 09/26/04 11:59 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Give it a shot let us know your thoughts.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#62167 09/27/04 12:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Absolutely. In order to minimize the flames, I would recommend you just make it clear (actually you pretty much did) that this is one man's personal, subjective impressions of these two speakers, NOT a review, NOT a scientific comparison, just your own assessment. You have every right to do that, and I, for one, look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#62168 09/27/04 01:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Me to! I have always been curious on the 750's.

#62169 09/27/04 03:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Definitely!!! give us a comparison.

i like the look of the rockets, but i am curious if the sound is comparible with M60's, and will it justify the price difference.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#62170 09/27/04 07:26 PM
lomb7 Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Regarding the price. I thought the same thing yet once I saw that I could get B stock for the same cost of the M60's it was a no brainer. Still working on the review but it will take sometime, I jacked up my foot playing soccer so moving speakers may be a problem.

#62171 10/01/04 07:18 PM
lomb7 Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Well....I have had the rockets in place for a little over a week now. I have them hooked up to a weak Sony reciever that I have running my 2 channel sound around the house. I just ordered up a Denon 3803 that I will hook my Axioms M60 set up to and move my Outlaw 1050 to replace the Sony.

I know, I'm lagging on getting my review into you all but I am a little nervous about the crap I will get from those that are Axiom hardcores. So far here is what I have heard.

Disclaimers...
1) I am not an audio expert and this is MY experience with these speakers. I do not know anyone at Axiom or AV123 and have never leaned in either direction.
2) I am running the M60 against the top of the line Rocket 750. It may be that a better compairison would be the M80 vs the 750 but that is for someone elses review.
3) I am not running these speakers with a "top of the line" reciever so sounds may differ with another product.
4) The room that I am listening in may differ from the room you have so please do not remind me of tonal differences in smaller or larger rooms.
5) Again, I am not an expert so please do not point out the short comings of my review. This is what I hear, you may have another experience.

Specs-
Millennia M60ti Specifications
Max Amp Power 250 Watts
Min Amp Power 10 Watts
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 37-22K
Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz) 27-22K
SPL in Room 1w/1m 93 dB
Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 89 dB
Impedance 8 Ohms
Woofer Dual 6.5"
Midrange 5.25"
Tweeter 1"
Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 37.5x9.25x15
Weight 47 lbs per

RS750:
System: Multi-way, five-driver direct-radiating system, vented enclosure with two rear-firing flared ports
Drivers: Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, four custom 5.25\" long-throw aluminum cone woofers
Crossover: Tweeter at 3.8 kHz, progressive array, variable slope
Frequency Response: 38 Hz to 20 KHz (± 3 dB)
Impedance: 6 Ohms nominal
Efficiency: 88 dB (@ 1 watt / 1 meter)
Dimensions: 37.5" H x 15.5" D x 9" W (953 x 394 x 229 mm)
Weight: 56 lbs (25 kg) each; ship weight = 72 lbs each

I have to say that this did take some balls to post on Axioms web site because I know that I will catch some crap for it but as someone that loves HT and two channel I thought that it would give others the chance to look around at other products in the market place. Again, all speakers were run through my Outlaw Audio 1050 with a XV-S500 JVC Progressive Scan DVD player. The room is 20 x 28.

Cost-
I purchased the M60's A stock were $800.00 shipped. "B" stock are $720.00
I purchased Rocket RS750 B Stock were $980.00 shipped. "A" stock are $1500.00 + shipping.

First Impressions:

M60-
The first speakers that I picked up were the Axiom M60's. I have had these for a little over 4 mo now. I picked up the Boston Cherry to match my QS4's. All in all the speakers looked OK but then again I did not think it was that important to get something that looked like art when it was the sound that mattered.

Rocket 750-
Now after reading my comments above about not caring about the overall look of the speaker you will think that I have back tracked on that comment. The Rockets are beautiful to say the least. I purchased the "B" stock but I still cannot find anything wrong with them. My wife always complained about large floor standing speakers but when she saw the Rocket 750's even she made a comment about the look. I picked up the 750 in South American Rosewood. For the money (see costing above) this speaker looks to me like a $5,000 plus, just by the looks. It matches my older furniture to a T and they blend into the room very nicely. If I were to put the M60's in place of the Rockets my wife would not stand for it. So, if have a wife that is pickey about floorstanding speakers because they stand out then go with the Rockets. I cannot stress how nice these speakers look.

Review-
This review is for two channel only since I thought that it would not be fair to run a HT test when I have the QS4's.

I tried to get a full spectrum of music so that I could see how each speaker reacted to differing music.

CD's played.
1) The Sundays (Summertime, Folk Song)
2) Dave Matthews (Under the Table and Dreaming)
3) Amadeus Mozart, Movie Soundtrack ((Symphony No. 25 in G minor)
4) Bob Seger (Rock and Roll Never Forgets)
5) Big Head Todd (It's Alright)

On all the music listened to (except mozart) the Axioms seemed to have higher pitched vocals with the music/band coming second. At times I wanted to get up to readjust the settings thinking the treble was set too high. When a word with an S was in the song, at higher volume, it made you flinch a little. I also noted a HUGE difference in base. The RS750's really stood out. The M60's seemed to have a muffled, or lost base when a kick drum would hit where the RS 750 produced the base very nicely.

By CD- (these were notes that I jotted as I listened)

M60-
1) The Sundays
a)Summertime
High treble, horn section lost on ocasion to vocals. S's hard on the ears on occasion. Almost no base. Great vocals.

b)Folk Song
Nice Guitar seperation, vocals stand out nicely. All in all nice.

2) Dave Matthews
a)Under the Table and Dreaming
Very in your face, not in a good way. Treble too high?? Chimes a little too much. What happened to the base, kick drum. Vocals stand out nicely.

3) Amadeus Mozart, Movie Soundtrack
a)Symphony No. 25 in G minor
Great highs with very good rep of the violins, base is a little weak with very little serperation of music and sections.

4) Bob Seger
a)Rock and Roll Never Forgets
Nice main guitar again, no base, very bright, band lost to vocals.

5) Big Head Todd
a)It's Alright
Base guitar lost, no base, nice vocals, bright.

RS750-

1) The Sundays
a)Summertime
Base guitar very nice, very nice vocal blend with great horn seperation.

b)Folk Song
Great vocal with nice accustic guitar work, not in your face.

3) Amadeus Mozart, Movie Soundtrack
a)Symphony No. 25 in G minor
Violins washed a little. Great seperation in sections with amazing horns. Very nice blend of music.

4) Bob Seger
a)Rock and Roll Never Forgets
Great intro with drum and base. Again, sounds like a band not just vocal. Sometime vocals lost.

5) Big Head Todd
a)It's Alright
Base! Great drum and guitar work. Very complex. Listening to a band not just vocal. Great base guitar and horns.

So, there is what I heard in short hand. All in all you have two VERY different speakers here. In two channel I would take the RS750 because after listening to them both the Axioms were more in your face and after time my ears got a little tired. Compaired to the RS750 they were bright to say the least. I read one review that said that RS750's were like being in the 25th row of a concert where the Axioms were like being in the 3rd row. I would agree with that in that the RS750's were like being in the 10th row, right in the middle of that row so that you could hear the ENTIRE band, where as the Axioms felt as if you were in the third row, right next to the speaker set up. I love my Axioms and will not replace them anytime soon and I cannot say what the HT set up would sound like head to head. I loved how the RS750 presented you with the entire musical experience where sometimes the Axiom presented you wth the vocals in a very bright manner. I think that with the right sub you would get a much better review of the M60 but all in all I loved how the RS750 blended both the lows with the highs.

RS750- 10
M60- 8.5

#62172 10/01/04 07:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well done and I doubt you will catch any flak for that review.......... I thought it was more then fair.

#62173 10/01/04 08:52 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
lomb- i am no professional either, but what you had to say seemed to be exactly what you thought. there is nothing wrong with that.

oddly enough, the custom finishes is one of the reasons i went with the axioms. my wife wanted them to match the rest of the furniture.. and they do.

i really dig my 60's, and i am glad you dig both of your sets of speakers. everyone hears differently, and everyone has different preferences.. i think your review is fair to your likes and dislikes.. no shame in that..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#62174 10/01/04 09:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
lomb7, tactfully put. You never felt that the Rockets highs were rolled off or lacking? I remember that being described as one of their flaws. Thanks.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters