Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: MP3 vs Lossless Compression - the proof
#63448 10/06/04 05:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just suggesting that I'd rather buy two drives, if I need to rip them at a file size that is rather large to retain the quality, than go cheap, use only one drive and rip at a smaller file size and suffer a quality loss. Make sense?

#63449 10/06/04 05:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The largest bitrate for MP3 I believe is 320....so even at that, with a 250gb drive, you are looking at close to 2000 CDs.

#63450 10/06/04 05:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
320kbs is in fact the max at this point in time.

#63451 10/06/04 05:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Here are my criteria:
1. Sound quality virtually indistinguishable from the CD
2. File sizes small enough to get 400-500 CD's on readily available, competitively-priced hardware
3. Ripping speeds appreciably faster than real time.
4. Ripping and Music library management software that is easy to use and compliant with listener-area-controllers
5. No super geeky or extremely obscure software/hardware solutions. I am not the alpha geek that most of you are.

1 - That can be done even with a MP3 at 192kbs if it's done right......I prefer 320kbs. Better safe then no Bass! lol

2 - Already out there!

3 - Speed can be a two way street. Rip to fast and you can get read errors and a few other problems. One thing with EAC and LAME is it's not the fastest way to go. I can use MusicMatch and rip a CD in under 3 minutes but it does not sound the same as when I do it with EAC and LAME. Some do but not all so I take my time and do it the way I think it's right the first time. My method however can take upwards of 10 minutes per.

4 - Tons and tons out there..............you know what and how I rip. As for how I look after my library, Winamp!

5 - It's not the hard once you decide on what software you want use and what codec it is you prefer.

As for LAME being slow and obscure. Not at all. LAME is all over the place and very popular. As for the speed, it all comes down to what software you use, what codec and how good is your CD drive that you want to rip from.

Does that help at all?

#63452 10/06/04 06:18 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yes, John, it does. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it to me. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with those of us who are new to that process.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#63453 10/06/04 06:46 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I'll point out that if you're going to use iTunes for management (and you're not streaming through something that requires MP3s) you can rip with iTunes, using AAC with a high bitrate (160 or above-it's different for AAC) or with the Apple Lossless (assuming you've got tons of disk space).

Oops, I just made it more complicated, didn't I?

Anyway, you don't need a separate program to rip your stuff. I've read a few articles showing AAC as ripped by iTunes to be higher quality than other formats, but I don't have the links, and I've also read articles that say different.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#63454 10/06/04 06:49 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Great discussion.

I'm currently going through the process of ripping my CD collection to MP3. I'm using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with the LAME encoder running variable bit rate (VBR). The detailed settings are modeled after the suggestions here

I've been ripping mp3s fast and furious for the past few weeks. I've only listened to a small subset of what I've ripped so far, but I've been extremely pleased with what I've heard.

I have noticed that the compression logs often show "timing problems" occurred during the process, but ultimately there are no errors and I haven't heard any adverse effects in the mp3s themselves. Can anyone explain what these timing problems are? How might they affect the sound of the mp3s if at all, and is there any way or need to try to avoid them?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)