MP3 vs Lossless Compression - the proof
#63418 10/05/04 09:59 PM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
Now the MP3 guys and FLAC guys can weigh in against each other.

I made a quick little audio WAV file (sorry Mac guys - hope you can play this somehow) that shows the data that's missing from an MP3 that appears in an uncompressed or lossless compressed file.

I was actually surprised at how little detail is lost.

The MP3 was encoded with the Fraunhofer encoder for DOS (s-l-o-w but the best encoder I've heard - they started the whole push, so it made sense to use them as the standard) at 256kbps - which is a good balance of archival quality and file size, though some encoders do go higher, once you get past this bitrate you start getting into nearly the same file sizes as FLAC - why use a lossy codec if you can get a lossless for the same file size?

Sample for sample phase cancellation was used to produce a perfect copy of the differences between the two files, I have not adjusted the levels or "normalized" this file in any way, so it is quiet, you may have to turn up your speakers.

The sampled song used is New Model Army's "Queen of My Heart" - why? Was the closest thing I had at hand that's a pretty good mix of rock and electronic.

A 15 second clip - right click this link and choose Save As to save it to your local drive.

Bren R.

Re: MP3 vs Lossless Compression - the proof
#63419 10/05/04 10:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bren, I would love to use FLAC, but there is no easy/inexpensive way to stream FLAC to my audio system from my PC.

#63420 10/05/04 10:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Fraunhofer may have started it but they have lost faith with more then a few over there high charges for license fees for any of there A codecs and the speed as you have mentioned, is brutal to say the least. However Fraunhofer is by far the way to go if you rip at lower bitrates. LAME and a few others are designed with a higher bit rate in mind and are not user friendly for the most part. As you know I do it all at 320kbs which is overkill and I know it but when you have almost 300gigs of storage I don't lose any sleep over it.

As for Lossy Encoders vs. Lossless Compressors we can be here all day going over that one. In the end it comes down to which encoders make better decisions regarding what to keep and what to discard. One review that I read awhile back that stuck with me is this:

Downside of Lossless Codecs

"If lossless codecs are so good," you might be wondering, "why isn't everyone using them? Why do people even bother with MP3s and lossy codecs?" Good question. The bad thing about lossless codecs is that they offer poor file-size reduction .. compared to MP3s and lossy codecs.

In other words, a song compressed with Monkey's Audio or other lossless codecs will consume more hard drive space than the same song encoded with an MP3 or other lossy codec.

Lossless codecs typically reduces file sizes to half their original bulk. The exact amount depends on a number of factors, such as the type of music and the specific song. Live music doesn't compress well because of the background noise. Each song will be different.

High-quality MP3's typically require bit-rates of 175- to 225-kbps. Let's use 200-kbps as a happy median for purposes of making a comparison. Wave files from the original CDs are 1411-kbps. This number is calculated like so: 44.1 KHz * 2 channels * 16 bits = 1411.2-kbps [or nearly 10-MBytes/min].

Note that this calculation assumes k=1000-bytes. Most computers assume k=1024 bytes. So if your actual sizes differ slightly from what you calculate, this is why. Also the "b" in kbps = "bits" [not Bytes].

A 200-kbps MP3 file is ~14% the size [about 1/7th] of the original wave file [1411-kbps]. In other words, lossless files [typically 600-900 kbps] will be roughly 3 to 4 times larger than MP3s [consuming 3 to 4 times the hard disk space], but half as large as the original wave file ripped from the CD. You should now have a good feel for the pro's and con's of how lossy codecs compare with lossless compressors.

#63421 10/05/04 10:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Seeing as how this thread will end up in some debate over compression we should go down the Dolby Digital vs. DTS road next!

All in favour say I! :-)

#63422 10/05/04 10:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
.....................and I have no real thoughts on VBR. I tried it, didn't like it and never went back. I should however try it again as it does make for a nice file size.

#63423 10/05/04 11:17 PM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Bren, I would love to use FLAC, but there is no easy/inexpensive way to stream FLAC to my audio system from my PC.

Again, this is just to illustrate what is missing from an MP3 to drop the file size to 1/6 the size. Play what you will at home, this post is for educational purposes only.

Bren R.

#63424 10/05/04 11:35 PM
shareholder in the making
BTW, Bren, WAVs are no problem for us Mac users. We can pretty much play any audio format... with the right software. I have a feeling I'd need extra software for FLAC, and I know I do for WMA and (hahahahaha) Real whatever it is, but WAVs...we got that covered.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#63425 10/06/04 12:01 AM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Fraunhofer may have started it but they have lost faith with more then a few over there high charges for license fees for any of there A codecs and the speed as you have mentioned, is brutal to say the least. However Fraunhofer is by far the way to go if you rip at lower bitrates.

And if you have time on your hands, you get a darned good quality MP3 at the rate. As for it's speed, well, for someone like me, I compress a few songs a month for bands' websites as their new singles come out, and the difference between encoding at 1/5 real time and 4x real time is kind of moot. I'm more concerned about total quality for file size.

In reply to:

LAME and a few others are designed with a higher bit rate in mind and are not user friendly for the most part. As you know I do it all at 320kbs which is overkill and I know it but when you have almost 300gigs of storage I don't lose any sleep over it.

If you'd like to put your encoder where your mouth is, I'll gladly supply the same uncompressed 15 second WAV for you to compress at 320kbps with LAME and we can compare again.

Bren R.

#63426 10/06/04 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

If you'd like to put your encoder where your mouth is

To much coffee today? LAME can be had all over the net as can EAC. Go nut's! Post your graphs, post your notes, hell put up whatever you think you need to. At the end of all of this, I will still be using EAC and LAME. I have been having this debate with people since the dawn of MP3's and I'm not going to change now.

I'm a little lost as to where your going with this. Not once did I state that LAME in anyway shape or form was any better then Fraunhaffer. I just pointed out a few problems that Fraunhaffer has these day's. If you disagree with my comments on LAME being intended for a higher bitrate, then state why. Another one I forgot to mention is that they got sold to the people who brought us MP3PRO. Great idea, bad end result.

#63427 10/06/04 12:27 AM
devotee
devotee
Well, a few things..

a) For those who're somewhat in disbelief that a 128k MP3 is not the 'CD-quality' it's advertized as, listen to this as a 128k MP3. Even at 320k, it has its flaws, with any MP3 encoder. I usually use this when people wonder why 128k MP3s off of kazaa don't satisfy me.

b) I'd suggest you try it with LAME and the --alt-presets. It's far better than the fraunhofer stuff now(except at very low bitrates), and it's been proven to be through ABX testing time and time again.

I find that lossy codecs don't make an immediate difference when encoded at high bitrates with well encoders, yet it does over a longer period of time. Up to 192k, if I listen enough, I can ABX 16/16 times the original from the MP3. Kind of tedious, but it was also nice to listen to music while on the computer. Sooner or later it becomes evident that something is missing, it doesn't sound as 'full'. With MP3, the higher frequencies sound somewhat blander and recessed at lower bitrates.

My Rio portable supports FLAC and Ogg Vorbis, so that is what I use. MP3 is a somewhat outdated codec, so if I choose a lossy encoder, I'd rather use something newer with a better psychoacoustic model.

Last edited by Thasp; 10/06/04 12:29 AM.
#63428 10/06/04 01:10 AM
veteran
veteran
Wow! This was exactly the kind of debate I was hoping for.

BrenR, you mentioned that you were surprised at how little was lost when you compared the differences in the two formats. To me that sounded like a lot, but maybe that's just because I have a hard time imagining what the song would sound like without those bits. When you play the two versions back to back, how noticable is the difference to you?

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC
#63429 10/06/04 01:38 AM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

If you'd like to put your encoder where your mouth is
---------
To much coffee today?

Nah, it just sounds accusatory... doesn't have the same ring as "put your money where your mouth is"... that's all that was meant.

What I'm trying to do? It's purely for educational reasons... we know MP3s sound quite a bit like the original file, but what IS missing? What's the difference between them? Rather than using a bunch of flowery prose, I used some basic digital audio manipulation to actually hear the difference.

Everyone plays MP3s, but no one gives any thought to how they're compressed, and if you're not part of the team that designs the psychoacoustical model, you'll probably never understand what's rejected. Kind of cool to be able to see what's not in the compressed file.

Bren R.

#63430 10/06/04 01:50 AM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

b) I'd suggest you try it with LAME and the --alt-presets. It's far better than the fraunhofer stuff now(except at very low bitrates), and it's been proven to be through ABX testing time and time again.

Again, if anyone else has a copy of LAME and some time on their hands, I'll supply the original WAV and take back the MP3 and make a comparison. This wasn't meant as a "who's got the best MP3 encoder" thread, but if there's some interest, what the hell? Never hurts to learn... good discussion material at the next Star Trek convention, too!

In reply to:

Up to 192k, if I listen enough, I can ABX 16/16 times the original from the MP3.

Bro and I did the same testing between MP3 (his collection of downloaded material from Napster - as a practise, I don't download music, no... really - at most I have 50 MP3s - mostly deleted old punk vinyl and if Artificial Life want, I'll give them the $3 that their vinyl EP used to sell for)... back to the story, single blind A-B-C comparisons between MP3, CD-quality AIFF (raw rip of a CD) and "some Apple thing" (how I refer to anything on the Mac)... I could spot the MP3 (128-256kbps) every time, he played about 30 songs, but the "Apple thing" I couldn't distinguish from a full CD-quality AIFF. (I find out later the "Apple thing" is Apple's lossless codec. That cheater. )

But as I've mentioned before, I'm highly sensitive to digital artifacts, both in audio and video. Watching a BetaSX tape, especially speed-adjusted (slo-mo) drives me apesh*t.

Bren R.

#63431 10/06/04 01:57 AM
veteran
veteran
Yeah, I've noticed "artifacts" in mp3's that I've listened to, but was never sure if it was just a problem with the encoding or a fundamental weakness of the standard itself. Of course, I've never listened to any that were encoded at better than 256kbs though, and most of them were 128 or so. Also, I've only listened to them in the car, on the computer, or through headphones. Never on a nice system, since I don't even have one... yet.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC
#63432 10/06/04 01:58 AM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

BrenR, you mentioned that you were surprised at how little was lost when you compared the differences in the two formats. To me that sounded like a lot, but maybe that's just because I have a hard time imagining what the song would sound like without those bits.

It may sound like a lot, but it's really only some harmonics and sibilance on the vocal track, the shaker and the drums, the instruments are nearly spot-on identical.

If I get some time I'll post an MP3 of that part of the original track for comparison.

As for side by side listening, they're close, but I can tell which is which, same as any MP3. Is the WAV 7x better like the file size would lead you to believe? Of course not.

Bren R.

#63433 10/06/04 02:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Nah, it just sounds accusatory... doesn't have the same ring as "put your money where your mouth is"... that's all that was meant.

Sorry. I tend to get my guard up a little to fast around here these days!

All I know is this, if someone can show me a better way, I'm all for it! I would hate to go down the road of ripping everything again but if I have to, I'm in. Problem is I have gone down this road to many times in the past and nothing every beats what I do now in terms of quality, file size etc etc............at least to my ear. Is the MP3 format outdated?, dam straight it is but what do I turn to that will play on my computer, my Denon 2815 and the MP3 stacker I have in my van? lol That is one of my problems! I bought into this format long ago but nothing has come along yet that makes me want to switch.

If someone wants to say that a MP3 is technically flawed, you will get no argument out of me as I agree it's not perfect, but when it's done right, it isn't bad. MP3's at 160 and lower are not worth the time of day if you ask me. 192 is darn good and 256 has a little bit more going on then 192 but not by much. As I stated before, 320 is overkill and I know it but to me it's the truest reproduction I can get as far as a MP3 goes.

#63434 10/06/04 02:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I've never listened to any that were encoded at better than 256kbs though, and most of them were 128 or so.

Say this with me 3 times.................128 is not CD quality! lol :-) Some putz made that statement years ago and it stuck. Most 128 and 160 MP3's that I have heard all seem to lack something.

I remember I ripped a track called Return Of the Mack by Mark Morrison. Not my type of music but the wife likes it and well It's a decent funky tune with lots of bass etc. Anyway, I ripped it at 128kbs and it sounded like crap. My sub was sitting there looking at me all confused! Had no real midrange, no nothing. I then ripped it at 160 and it was better but flat...............my sub was still feeling left out. Again at 192kbs and it came to life. Sub was feeling it but still not happy. Now this is the part I still don't get but is one of the main reasons I bought into 320kbs. I re-ripped it at 320kbs and my sub came alive! I did a check with my sound meter and everything and at 320kbs and at the same volume I was getting much better bass from my sub and my mains. Now this example is song specific and must have something to do with the original recording but I figure better safe then no bass!........................so everything gets done at 320kbs.

#63435 10/06/04 02:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh crap. Now I have that dam song in my head............................

Streem thread dejavuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....................................

Return Of The Mack
Mark Morrison
Album: Return Of The Mack

Oh, oo-o-oh, come on, ooh, yeah
Well I tried to tell you so (yes, I did)
But I guess you didn't know, as I said the story goes
Baby, now I got the flow
'Cos I knew it from the start
Baby, when you broke my heart
That I had to come again, and show you that I'm real

(You lied to me) all those times I said that I love you
(You lied to me) yes, I tried, yes, I tried
(You lied to me) even though you know I'd die for you
(You lied to me) yes, I cried, yes, I cried

1-(Return of the Mack) it is
(Return of the Mack) come on
(Return of the Mack) oh my God
(You know that I'll be back) here I am
(Return of the Mack) once again
(Return of the Mack) pump up the world
(Return of the Mack) watch my flow
(You know that I'll be back) here I go

So I'm back up in the game
Running things to keep my swing
Letting all the people know
That I'm back to run the show
'Cos what you did, you know, was wrong
And all the nasty things you've done
So, baby, listen carefully
While I sing my come-back song

2-(You lied to me) 'cos she said she'd never turn on me
(You lied to me) but you did, but you do
(You lied to me) all these pains you said I'd never feel
(You lied to me) but I do, but I do, do, do

(Return of the Mack) here it is
(Return of the Mack) hold on
(Return of the Mack) don't you know
(Return of the Mack) oh little girl
(Return of the Mack) wants my pearl
(Return of the Mack) up and down
(You know that I'll be back) round and round
(rpt 2, 1)

(You know that I'll be back) don't you know

(Return of the Mack) here it is
(Return of the Mack) hold on
(Return of the Mack) be strong
(Return of the Mack) my little girl
(Return of the Mack) wants my pearl
(Return of the Mack) up and down
(You know that I'll be back) round and round

#63436 10/06/04 02:23 AM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Sorry. I tend to get my guard up a little to fast around here these days!
(snip)
If someone wants to say that a MP3 is technically flawed, you will get no argument out of me as I agree it's not perfect, but when it's done right, it isn't bad.

The funny part is, we're arguing the same point from different angles...

"No, you idiot, let's attack the lizardmen with daggers!"
'No, you fool... I say we slay them with arrows'
*fight erupts, Lizardmen fall over their treasure laughing*

Again, I was surprised at how little is lost in the translation. MP3 is outdated (look how fast it came out on the tail of MP2s) and now that it's almost a trade name and has an installed base of, like, 8 billion players, there have been no major changes to it.

Bren R.

#63437 10/06/04 03:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The "Apple thing" is called aac. I've found it to sound much much better than an mp3 (both at 192kbps).

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#63438 10/06/04 03:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One mans junk is another................ah you know the rest! lol

In reply to:

Conclusions
If you care about audio quality and listen to a lot of electronic music, avoid MPEG-4 AAC, particularly if you use bit rates below 160kbps. iTunes MP3 at 160kbps is better than AAC at 128kbps if you can afford the extra file size. If you really want CD quality, you'll need to use Ogg Vorbis or LAME MP3 encoding.

http://www.xciv.org/~meta/audio-shootout/

This is what is fun about this stuff. For every 10 people that say AAC sounds better, 10 more will say it doesn't.

#63439 10/06/04 03:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is another good one to read (Although it's tough to figure out what the hell he actualy likes!):

http://www.recordstorereview.com/misc/aacmp3.shtml

#63440 10/06/04 05:09 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Guys, I'm fascinated by this discussion. And I continue to be grateful for the generous sharing of knowledge and experience that takes place here.

And you've got to either speak slower, or send me to the "Ripping all those CD's to a Hard Disk for Dummies" page.

Seriously, I admire the scienctific and experienced way you approach this question. Problem is, I'm looking for a consumer-based recommendation. Right now, I'm still loading CD's into a carousel player that won't die. Sounds pretty good.

But, like most, I am seduced by the power of an uber-jukebox. If I were to invest the requisite time, money and energy into ripping my entire collection to a HTPC-type-device, I'd need real-world help. And I'm more confused that ever at the moment.

Here are my criteria:
1. Sound quality virtually indistinguishable from the CD
2. File sizes small enough to get 400-500 CD's on readily available, competitively-priced hardware
3. Ripping speeds appreciably faster than real time.
4. Ripping and Music library management software that is easy to use and compliant with listener-area-controllers
5. No super geeky or extremely obscure software/hardware solutions. I am not the alpha geek that most of you are.

I somehow get the impression that the LAME solution is slow and/or obscure. Is that correct?

Is just using something like Musicmatch Jukebox and cranking the bitrate up to 320 going to get me the same kind of results?

Be gentle.

Thanks for your guidance.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#63441 10/06/04 05:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tom,

I use CDex to rip CDs...take a few minutes per CD. It uses the LAME engine. It can also rip to other formats as well.

I have a 250gb drive for storage in my PC that cost me $120. That size of drive, at a rip bitrate of 256, should hold close to 2500 CDs.

For library management, I like iTunes....but there are plenty of others.

#63442 10/06/04 06:16 AM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
I also use CDeX for straight audio rips... as discussed, I use the Fraunhofer engine separately to compress MP3s, but CDeX will rip (calling the LAME command line) directly to MP3.

Bren R.

#63443 10/06/04 08:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I was just about to post a message EXACTLY like Tom...

I beginning to like this idea, but all this mumbo jumbo about ripping cd's a million different ways is making me light headed.

#63444 10/06/04 03:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
spiff....the process is extremely simple.

#63445 10/06/04 04:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm sure it is. I just want to be sure to get the highest quality rips I can. I'd rather get two drives, then be listening to something of lesser quality than I could be with my cds.

#63446 10/06/04 04:59 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Bren and Curtis, thank you both very much. I appreciate the clarification.

Craig, I was thinking of you, and hoping that I was not the only one who got a little lost.

Keep us posted on your project.

#63447 10/06/04 05:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
spiff...you really need to come over and listen. Bring one of your CDs, we will play it and rip it, then you can compare.

Why two drives?

#63448 10/06/04 05:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just suggesting that I'd rather buy two drives, if I need to rip them at a file size that is rather large to retain the quality, than go cheap, use only one drive and rip at a smaller file size and suffer a quality loss. Make sense?

#63449 10/06/04 05:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The largest bitrate for MP3 I believe is 320....so even at that, with a 250gb drive, you are looking at close to 2000 CDs.

#63450 10/06/04 05:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
320kbs is in fact the max at this point in time.

#63451 10/06/04 05:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Here are my criteria:
1. Sound quality virtually indistinguishable from the CD
2. File sizes small enough to get 400-500 CD's on readily available, competitively-priced hardware
3. Ripping speeds appreciably faster than real time.
4. Ripping and Music library management software that is easy to use and compliant with listener-area-controllers
5. No super geeky or extremely obscure software/hardware solutions. I am not the alpha geek that most of you are.

1 - That can be done even with a MP3 at 192kbs if it's done right......I prefer 320kbs. Better safe then no Bass! lol

2 - Already out there!

3 - Speed can be a two way street. Rip to fast and you can get read errors and a few other problems. One thing with EAC and LAME is it's not the fastest way to go. I can use MusicMatch and rip a CD in under 3 minutes but it does not sound the same as when I do it with EAC and LAME. Some do but not all so I take my time and do it the way I think it's right the first time. My method however can take upwards of 10 minutes per.

4 - Tons and tons out there..............you know what and how I rip. As for how I look after my library, Winamp!

5 - It's not the hard once you decide on what software you want use and what codec it is you prefer.

As for LAME being slow and obscure. Not at all. LAME is all over the place and very popular. As for the speed, it all comes down to what software you use, what codec and how good is your CD drive that you want to rip from.

Does that help at all?

#63452 10/06/04 06:18 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yes, John, it does. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it to me. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with those of us who are new to that process.

#63453 10/06/04 06:46 PM
I'll point out that if you're going to use iTunes for management (and you're not streaming through something that requires MP3s) you can rip with iTunes, using AAC with a high bitrate (160 or above-it's different for AAC) or with the Apple Lossless (assuming you've got tons of disk space).

Oops, I just made it more complicated, didn't I?

Anyway, you don't need a separate program to rip your stuff. I've read a few articles showing AAC as ripped by iTunes to be higher quality than other formats, but I don't have the links, and I've also read articles that say different.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#63454 10/06/04 06:49 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Great discussion.

I'm currently going through the process of ripping my CD collection to MP3. I'm using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with the LAME encoder running variable bit rate (VBR). The detailed settings are modeled after the suggestions here

I've been ripping mp3s fast and furious for the past few weeks. I've only listened to a small subset of what I've ripped so far, but I've been extremely pleased with what I've heard.

I have noticed that the compression logs often show "timing problems" occurred during the process, but ultimately there are no errors and I haven't heard any adverse effects in the mp3s themselves. Can anyone explain what these timing problems are? How might they affect the sound of the mp3s if at all, and is there any way or need to try to avoid them?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)