M80 Placement
#640 12/16/01 12:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a set of M80 Ti's on the way. Some have stated that placement too close to walls with these speakers can cause a boomyness effect due to the port design and that putting them about 2 feet away from the walls resolves this issue. The problem is due to my room size and solid oak intertainment center I am not going to have this much space and will only have about 15" off the back and maybee 6" on each side. Would raising the speakers off the floor with 12" stands also help reduce a possible boomyness effect from the close placment... They will be corner boxed in on 3 sides, thats my main concern. Any suggestions or thoughs on placing them on 8 to 12 inch stands?

Thanks,

Rob Schwartz
Speakers in route! : )

Re: M80 Placement
#641 12/17/01 03:00 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Placement close to the walls is a room related not speaker related issue. I have my own within 5 inches of the corner and they work great there in my room. The M80s come with your choice of spikes or plastic feet for isolation from the floor so you will not need a stand. I would put them where you want in your room and see how that works out. There is a very high likelihood this will work out just great for you.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
Re: M80 Placement
#642 12/23/01 05:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ian,

Due to my space limitations the speakers are about 8 inches from the wall and inclosed on both sides by about 12" like a cubby hole... with them in a corner like this the bass reflects too much off the walls from the rear porting and gives it a little bit of a boomy effect. I was able to move them out just a bit more without obstruction a door that opens to the back of my townhouse and this helped some, I also messed with turning the speakers a bit so that the ports would not be reflecting directly back into the rear wall but at an angle to the wall and side wall/entertainment center. This again helped a little. Lastly my VP150 and my M60's for rear music came in and this really helped as the M60 placement has more "breathing room" which makes the tiny bit of boomieness dissapear with the rear speakers. To be honest I don't think I could have made a better choice in speaker for the money, I am so amazed with your speaker and just thrilled with the sound quality, build quality and the awesome purchasing and customer support your company has provided! I just can't say enough good things about them. I was considering PSB Stratus Bronze as the alternative but really think I made the correct choice going with the Axioms. I love listening to the music in 6 channel stereo mode with my Marantz SR6200 pre-outs to my Adcom GFA 5006 bridged to 175 x 3, my Adcom GFA 5400 and my GFA 5500 on the mains. I will be ordering a set of QS-8's after the first year to complete my speaker purchases as I want the system to be of "dual" purpose and run the QS-8's for rear surround effects when watching movies and use the M60Ti' rear speakers for 6 channel music/stereo. Also considered your subwoofer to match my set but am currently running 2 velody CT-100. Again the reason for this was due to my room constraints I had to place the sub on a side wall closer to the listening area. On some bass notes this made the sub seem a bit directional so by adding one to the opposite wall and using a remote subwoofer gain controller (xantech) I can set the sub volumn on both subs via the remote from the listening area. There is enough furniture between the subs to keep them from interacting with each other and the resulting sound is absolutly incredible. I have spent hours and hours listening to all my CD's again and the more I listen the better the speakers sound, how much time is required before the speakers are fully "broken in". Again I appreciate your responses and assistance.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: M80 Placement +
#643 12/24/01 06:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ian,

Kyle here, I picked up a pair of your M3Ti's yesterday and they do, as everybody else has stated, sound incredible, the only place I have found bass slightly lacking was on Massive Attack's album Mezzanine, especially the first track Angel. Ani DiFranco, Muddy Waters, Sada, Donald Fagan, Tom Waits, Moonshake, Arling & Cameron, Neil Young, Goldfrapp, Joe Jackson, Underworld, Dire Straits and Aimee Mann are just a few of the discs that have already been listened to and passed with flying colors. Now all my other 600+ discs are fighting to be next in line to be played, even Roger Miller and Do-Wacka-Do need to be realized in all their glory! I was thinking about purchasing a pair of your M22Ti's but for the application right now these little guys fit the bill, thanks and thanks again Ian.

My question is break in time as well, like Rob, and what exactly is good break in material, music/static/radio station/etc. and sound levels, etc..

Kyle

#644 12/24/01 03:48 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
About 4 hours of music with deep bass is a good break in time. Normal volume levels will be fine.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#645 12/26/01 01:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good deal on the break in period. I think I have that covered more than enough by now. ; ) Over Christmas has ton's of people over watching movies and they were totally amazed with my system since the addition of the axioms. A side note, I took and old set of wood speaker stands and cut them down to 7" and put the M80's on those. Terrible. I would not recommend putting the main M80's on stands... I opted for pulling them out from the corner a few inches and putting them on a slight angle so that the rear ports were not firing directly at the back wall but on an angle and this works perfectly. I'm all set. Well almost, got the M80's up front VP150 and the M60's on the rear for music which also work okay for HT but am going to pick up a set of QS-8's for HT mode. : ) Throughly impressed with the Speakers Ian! Thank you much for all your help.

Rob

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters