Setup question before ordering
#65243 10/20/04 05:36 PM
S
syrinx Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I want to order a pair of M60i's, QS8's, a pair of EP350's and the VP150 but before I do, can anyone tell me how the M60i's sound in a room that is 30' x 25' (750 sq ft)? I will be using a Carver AV-806x THX certified 6 channel amp (133 watts per channel)to drive all of this (except the EP350's) and because of the cost of this speaker system, I just wanted to make sure that the sound quality, realism and cinema attributes were acceptable. Any advice, comments or help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Re: Setup question before ordering
#65244 10/20/04 05:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You should be fine with that setup. You could even get away with a pair of M80ti's in a room that size, but the M60's won't let you down.

How did you come to the choice of two EP350's?

#65245 10/20/04 05:45 PM
S
syrinx Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
I was just playing around with Axiom's "Home Theater Wizard" and it reccomended 2 EP350's. My current speaker setup has 4, 12 inch woofers inside the floorstanding speakers and I have some adjustability there so I guess two subs won't hurt. By the way, I have never used a sub seperate before and the performance of the 12's in my current speakers are terrible.

#65246 10/20/04 06:14 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have a 28x26 room, and my M60's, VP150, QS8's are great. they fill the room with PLENTY of sound. in fact, i have yet to crank the thing to FULL volume because it becomes painful, it soooo loud.

i am only running 1 vega 12-inch sub, and it could use some help. with the receiver pushing that kind of watts, and 2 subs, i think you will be more than pleased with your results.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#65247 10/20/04 06:27 PM
S
syrinx Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
Thanks for your input bigjohn. I am starting to feel that warm and fuzzy feeling about the speakers. I was going to buy a Klipsch system but did't for several reasons. 1) No one sells them in my area and they don't allow anyone to sell there stuff online, 2)don't need the speaker boxes made out of over rated materials, 3)lack of options.

When you watch movies, do the QS8's give you the "in the scene" experience?

#65248 10/20/04 06:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

do the QS8's give you the "in the scene" experience

in a word, YES!!!

the QS8's are extremely amazing speakers.. during some scenes, you almost think they arent on.. then , the scene will pick up, or some action will happen, and suddenly, you are in it.

someone once said that a good surround, is one that you forget is even there.. and thats the QS8's. it is a seamless transition of sound from front to rear, that the sound seems to be coming from everywhere in the living room.. it is a real neat experience when you first get to power them up.

i dont wanna turn this into a DVD hijack thread, but here are a few movies to show the range and ability of the QS8's.

open range
the bourne identity
any of the lord of the rings trilogy
the others..(this is a scary movie). if you havent seen this one, the QS8's make you think someone is breathing on the back of your neck.. its kinda creepy.

bigjohn

#65249 10/20/04 06:48 PM
S
syrinx Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
Awesome! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. The Boston Acoustic Surrounds that I am using now sound terrible. I have all of the DVD's you mentioned and yes, I will devote an entire weekend to "testing" the system (at least that is what I will tell my wife ha ha).

Thanks again

#65250 10/20/04 07:00 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have never heard the boston acoustics surrounds, but i friend of mine bought their 10 inch sub for $500 bucks, and it is a piece of crap.. extremely muddy, and muffled. it almost sounded flat, like the sound was being fed through a big fluffy pillow.. if thats what you get with the BA surrounds, then you are in for a treat.

bigjohn

#65251 10/20/04 07:21 PM
S
syrinx Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
Like I said before, I have never owned a sub seperate before and am looking forward to not only hearing movies, but music as well. A matter of fact, the BS surrounds that I am using were there top of the line bookshelf speakers. When I get that delivery from Axiom, maybe I will use the BS speakers as door stops...God knows they shouldn't be used to reproduce any sounds..

#65252 10/20/04 08:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Just to add some more comments here...

I have m60s, vp150, and qs8s. I love them. Have been happy with them since I got them back in Feb. When I moved into a new place and set them up again they still sounded great.

A few things I've found: I leave my sub off a lot for music, granted it's old and boomy, but the m60s can really hold their own over a huge amount of music. Now on movies, you absolutely want that sub in the mix. If I had a good sub, it would be on all the time.

The qs8s really are a little disconcerting at times (in a good way.) You'll be watching a movie and feel quite immersed, not really consciously thinking about surround effects or anything. Then all of a sudden a car will drive past you and you'll look over your shoulder expecting to see the thing cruising by in your living room. I recall one of my confused roomates looking for the telephone while I was watching a movie maybe a month ago. The telephone of course being in the movie, but my roomate was seriously digging around trying to figure out what the phone was buried under.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters