Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Wow...from a new owner...
#65353 10/21/04 07:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Man I don't doubt what your saying at all but the M3's bright? I have had a few of these and I found them all to be very laid back right out of the box. Are you sure there is nothing wrong with them?

#65354 10/21/04 07:14 PM
old hand
old hand
"So when I left for work this morning, I threw some CDs in the CD changer, hit repeat, turned up the bass, turned the HK AVR230 up to about -18dB, and walked out the door. When I came home for lunch, a miracle had happened."

I did basically the same thing with my M22's and my HSU STF-2 with the same result -- the sound improved significantly in my absence. Since they were broken in -- there, I said it -- the sound has not continued to change. Not one bit.

#65355 10/21/04 07:16 PM
K
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
K
I guess it was a mistake to post my personal experience. Obviously I must be halucinating. Even though I wasn't AT home during this "break-in" process, my ears and brain have become accustomed to the sound of speakers I haven't been listening to.

Obviously I'm the only one who's ever bought new shoes and found them uncomfortable because they were not broken in. Wait, I guess that means that if they became comfortable in a week or so, they would be on the verge of decay at the end of the month since the process must obviously be linear and continuous.

The discussion of the break-in theory of speakers was not the point of my post. I just posted my subjective personal experience. If you want to believe that I didn't experience it, fine. Keep it to yourself, or in another thread. If you would like to talk about my plan for my home theater, or if you also own some M3s or M40s, please, chime in.

Chris

#65356 10/21/04 07:31 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
easy fellas.. everyones perception of sound is different.. what one finds bright, someone else might find flat..

we all have our opinions, and we all dig our speakers.. thats a good thing. we dont need this to be a negative thing.

kenturkey- hopefully one of the guys that have M2's or M3's as centers will chime in. i would suggest to use the QS4's or QS8's for surrounds.. the quadpolar design makes for one of ther best sounding surrounds i think i have heard, regardless of price. and front firing speakers are usually considered better for rears, so an M2 or M3 would be perfect for your rear channel.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#65357 10/21/04 07:35 PM
K
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
K
John,

I guess I should have mentioned... My livingroom sucks for HT. That's why I've gone with direct radiators. My TV has to be in the corner, because of a large obtrusive fireplace dead center of the wall I WANT to put the TV on. So, the whole thing has to be "cocked" to the side in sort of a diamond shape. The surrounds are technically behind the couch because of it. I'll whip out the MSpaint here in a minute and draw a diagram. I just don't think the surrounds are gonna present the proper imaging in this setup.

#65358 10/21/04 07:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey I'm not sure if you are taking a shot at what I posted but I really meant what I said. When you first posted I thought there may be something wrong with them. I have owned the 3's and dam near everything else Axiom makes and I thought they were a laid back speaker. As I said above, I have no doubts you heard what you heard I was just asking a question!

As for the tone in general of this thread, ignore it. Some don't buy into speaker break in and some do. I have yet to be convinced either way but I listen to both sides!

#65359 10/21/04 07:53 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
Kenturkey,

I have 3 M3's that I use as my back left, right and center. I have M22's up front. It sounds as if my listening environment is similar to yours. I have my TV in a corner and my room is very open. I went with 3 m3's because I like direct radiating speakers in the back. Nothing against the QS4 or QS8, I have not heard either. I am thinking about purchasing some QS8's to compare. My pics are in the Home Theater, under My HT pics. My system sounds great the way I have it set up.

Scott

#65360 10/21/04 07:58 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Spiff - I hate to misquote Alan, since he hates when he's taken out of context, but I believe it was him that said break-in takes a few seconds, not hours.

Kenturkey - I have the M3s, great speakers, they stand alone very well and work well with a sub. They get the black sheep of the family tag though, being the only bookshelf with a 6.5" woofer.

Bren R.

#65361 10/21/04 08:03 PM
K
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
K
Okay, here's a horrifying picture of my terrible livingroom. Sorry this was about time, not accuracy. Anyway, F is fireplace, A is aquarium, C is couch, T is table, S is sub, RM and LM are right and left mains respectively, E is equipment (Receiver, CD changer, etc). The living room is half of a large room with cathedral ceilings. The divider is an 8ft wall that separates it from the kitchen. (There is open space over the wall.) There are glass french doors between the Sub in the corner and the Right Main. I'd like to put my 6th (rear surround center) somewhere along the wall between the two surrounds. But, there's a closet door in there somewhere. Ugh.

#65362 10/21/04 08:04 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Put the TV in the fireplace and everything becomes simpler!

Bren R.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020