Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
YOU may be an Audiophile....if
#65647 10/23/04 03:57 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Being a curious Person, I have wondered why in many of the posts here, when the term "Audiophile" comes up......it's usually in a negative context.

A couple examples are: "Axiom HAD to put the four post terminals on some of their speakers because of the Audiophiles"..... and another:" I've read too many Audiophile manifesto's".

So,.. I then decided to do a search of this forum.........for the word "Audiophile"...........and to my amazement,.... in almost every post I pulled up, were the words: "I am not an Audiophile,"........almost in a "I Am not ONE OF THOSE" vein, like it was a "badge of shame"....why?

Hmmm,......just who ARE these,.....these,.....Audiophiles anyway?,....what is their agenda?...do they have a mandate?

I decided to dig deeper, and clicked on dictionary .com, for THE definative answer.

Here it is:

Audiophile: "A Person having an ardent interest in stereo, or high-fidelity sound reproduction"

THAT'S IT?.... sounds "innocuous" enough, so where's the rub?
I think EVEN I may be one, after reading that.

YOU TOO may be an Audiophile.......................imagine that!

LT

Last edited by LT61; 10/23/04 04:04 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Re: YOU may be an Audiophile....if
#65648 10/23/04 04:11 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
That's a good one.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#65649 10/23/04 04:27 PM
aficionado
aficionado
It's funny how a simple term like "Audiophile" has gained a stereo (a pun ) type for a person that is rather extreme when it comes to every aspect of the hobby or profession.
We all think of "audiophiles" as people that own high dollar cables (that are exotic) and equipment.

I think of an “audiophile” as a person that has a quest trying to achieve a realistic (out of respect to the artist) level of a performance in other words, as close to the original performance as possible.
The extreme piece that is tied to the stereotype is the next level to “upgrade-itus”. Or is it?

Last edited by tleigh; 10/23/04 04:28 PM.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#65650 10/23/04 05:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree tleigh. The search for equipment which most accurately reproduces music - someone for whom audio components are not just appliances, someone who cares about the output from their sound systems and desires to maximize the quality of the output, these are the distinctive characteristics of an "audiophile." I'd guess everyone who posts on this site is an audiophile or they would have bought Bose.

Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15DT, Ah! Njoe Tjoeb with upsampler, Siemens output tubes and Power Kord, Michaura M66s, Vance Dickason Titanic Subwoofer, Mapleshade Clearview Double Golden Helix Speaker wires, Maple Audio Ambience interconnects.

Soney E9000ES processor, Yamaha M80 amp, 2xOnkyo M282 amps, Toshiba SD9200 DVD Audio player, 4 Michaura M55 speakers (modified with Jensen Paper Oil capacitors and Caddock Resistors), highly modified Merak MC6H center channel (2 Axiom 6.5" aluminum drivers, Audiocap Theta capacitor) Mapleshade Clearview Double Golden Helix Speaker wire to center speaker, Monster MiniElect Flat speaker wire all around, Dahlquist PDQ1500 15" sub, and Klipsch LF10 sub, modified Radio Shack Super Tweeters (Audiocap Theta capacitor)

Integra DTC 9.4 Processor, Onkyo M504 amp, Anthem PVA 5 amp, Philips SACD1000 player, Outlaw ICBM, Slim Server, Michaura M665 towers, modified RS Super Tweeters, Modified Merak MC634 center channel (Axiom drivers, Audiocap Theta cap, Mills resistors, cabinet damping), QS8s, M2e back surrounds, SVS 20-39 and Velodyne CHT10 subs.

If you have upgradeitis, you are an audiophile. Live with it.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#65651 10/23/04 06:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Holy cow! You have one KILLER system! I bet it sounds phenomenal!
I wouldn’t want to leave the house.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#65652 10/23/04 07:12 PM
D
Dlo Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
For me, and I may be wrong on this one, but for me an audiophile is someone who spends more money and thought on electronic equipment than they do on music or movies (if you're into HT). Here's a funny article I found on this topic (apologies if it offends anyone):

http://www.cyclesoft.com/Audiophile.html

#65653 10/23/04 08:29 PM
devotee
devotee
I spent $900 CDN on cables and brackets

*hangs head* They're all axiom interconnects...and yeah I probably could've gone cheaper, but I know Axiom, now where they came from, and had no hesitation about ordering from them

I just don't mention that a $200 cable connects my tv to my receiver.

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
#65654 10/23/04 08:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That'd be 3 systems, and pretty much staying home is not painful.

I don't think the test for an audiophile is how much money you spend, but your intent, i.e., the search for more lifelike musical reproduction.

Anyone who buys Axiom speakers, I'd consider an audiophile. Among audiophiles there are those who throw their money at the task, and those who try to get the most for the least. Everyone here falls into the latter category, or we'd be talking about our Harbeth's, Reference 3a's, Walsh Ohms, Thiels, etc., instead of Axioms. We'd be talking about Krells instead of used Yamaha M80s, or Outlaw Mono-blocks. I don't think the distinguishing characteristic is being more interested in the equipment than the music, but I do believe audiophiles are more thoughtful and educated concerning their equipment choices.

Those 3 systems I listed up above are each superb. I've heard $40,000 tube amp/CDP/speaker systems which don't sound as good as my modest tube outfit. Anything made by Axiom compares well to speakers costing much, much more. That's a kick, same for ASL tube amps, Ah! CDPs, Michaura (uses Axiom drivers and tweeters), and my highly modified Merak center channel speakers.

Modified Merak MC634 center channel speaker with modified RS super tweeter, Michaura M665 towers ...

Modified Merak MC6H center channel w/super tweeter ...

Last edited by 2x6spds; 10/23/04 08:50 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#65655 10/25/04 04:36 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Why does "audiophile" get a bad rap?

Because things marketed towards "audiophiles" usually represent the smarmiest money grabbing schemes in the industry.

Same kind of idea in a lot of industries... like "car afficienados" (I think I spelled that wrong, ABCD, can you run a spellcheck?) get handed BS like "the new Mazda Miata - we drilled out the brake pedal to save weight in this lean,mean, racing machine"... uh... holes in the brake pedal? That saves, what, a gram? Have a good crunch before you get in the car and you'll save more weight than that!

Ran into Future Shop today to get a 6' S-video cable (had a 3' and some <24') kid catches me buying a Recoton/Belkin/whatever it was and mentions they have a great selection of Monster products right over here.

Just looked at him and said "don't make me hit you" and smiled.

Bren R.

#65656 10/25/04 04:41 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I like Your racing parts analogy..........although by themselves...it seems kinda silly, but...............
it's amazing, (no matter what you race) how much these miniscule "tweeks", IN TOTALITY, create "the racer's edge"......sometimes the difference between"racing",............ and just driving around.
I wonder if this principal can also work in the manufacture of audio products?

Let's see...what else?.....oh yeah..I don't have "spell check".....sorry.

About Monster products......you really should go back to that store, and see that "salesman" again............I don't know if You are aware of this or not, or if You have any portable audio, but Monster now makes Batteries!!!!

Although I don't have any, (I saw some AA's the other day in Circuit City) I Am sure that like ALL of Monster's other products, they will cause a subtle bass improvement, as well as improved sound. (Monster: in portable audio now)................

heh heh.

LT

Last edited by LT61; 10/25/04 04:42 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940