Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Epic Micro setup
#6604 10/29/02 03:26 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Just received my Epic Micro System last night from Audioshop(a big thanks to Marc). I am going to be driving this setup with an Outlaw 1050 receiver. My questions are, is anyone else using the same setup and what settings are you running? The outlaw has settings for large and small speakers (I am assuming with the micros everything should be small) and for the x-over for the sub. For the record, the room the system is setup in was a bedroom and is pretty small (12'Wx13'D) and speaker size was part of the wife acceptance factor.

Re: Epic Micro setup
#6605 10/29/02 03:58 PM
veteran
veteran
arachide,

I have not had the pleasure of matching Outlaw with Axiom, however it is currently very high on my list.

Please let us know how well your Outlaw performs with them, and if you have compared it to similar products like Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, what your impressions are.

I would set all speakers to small, crossed over at 80 hz. This will eliminate directional bass coming from your subwoofer and will let your speakers play the high's and mid's.

The room you have is slightly small. I believe your set up will play fairly loudly when you crank it up.

happy listening!

#6606 10/31/02 06:02 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Patchwork-

Finally had some time yesterday to set up the Micro system. I used the Sound and Vision test DVd and set up as follows: all speakers small and the sub x-over set to 100 Hz on the receiver. Also set the phase at 180 degrees as this sounded better to me. I have to say that overall I am very happy with the Outlaw- it is a steal for the price. With my previous receiver, an Onkyo SV-343, I would notice clipping on my Cabridge Soundworks satellites. The Outlaw is rated at 65 wpc, but that is continuous, not peak. The overall build quality is better than any other receivers in it's price range but it does not have a lot of bells and whistles on the front panel (which I am grateful for) The FM reception is not that great, but then again there aren't many FM stations in the area worth listening to. I've heard other say this receiver is more "musical" than an Onkyo or Sony, but I have not compared a newer Onkyo or Sony to the Outlaw. It does not sound as nice as my Rotel amp I have for my stereo system, but I tend to mainly watch movies in the home theater and listen to music on the hi-fi.

And for the record, the Micro is plenty loud for such a small room (converted bedroom). Watched Hard Day's Night DVD yesterday and the Axiom's sound great, but I think they need to be broken in a bit before they hit their peak. I did have to put the spikes on the sub instead of the rubber bumpers as they were vibrating the hardwood floor too much. Hopefully the wife won't see the spikes in the newly refinished floors. ;-)

Andy

#6607 10/31/02 10:46 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Andy, just one point; since the 1050 is handling the crossover duties, the crossover on the sub is unnecessary and should be turned up to the max setting to get it as far away from the receiver setting as possible.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#6608 11/02/02 12:34 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
arachide,

Spikes on the hardwood floors?

You are a FAR braver soul than I.

#6609 11/03/02 03:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
arachide,

You can purchase small metal discs to place underneath the spikes so they don't dent the hardwood floor for pretty cheap. In fact you might even be able to use a solid washer or something similar from Home Depot.
If i find a link to what i'm talking about i'll post again.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters