Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
AS5 First Impressions
#6685 11/01/02 06:13 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Despite FedExs best effort to prevent it's arrival, and destroy it, I just got my AS5 stand today.

They tried to deliver it around noon today but I wasn't home, so once I got home and got the door hanger I called to make sure it was available at their shipping center to pickup. They confirmed it was available and they were open until 7:15pm. Out the door I go, I get there and the guy tells me, sorry it is at the other FedEx office 15 minutes away, but they are for another 45 minutes (7:00pm) I get directions and head on my way, crawling through evening freeway traffic. I get there and tell them what the guy at the first place told me, and they immediately said, nope, it's not here, it's at the main FedEx office at the airport 5 minutes away, and they are open until 7:30pm. Again, I get directions and head out. I get there and see they have already pulled the box and have it on the counter. As the gal is scanning the package and getting ready for my signature I comment on how the box has seen WAY better days. She said "Yep, that happens all the time. That is what you get when they put something heavy in a weak box." I asked her to put a note in that the box was damaged, as I feared the stuff inside didn't make it intact. Who knows if she did or not. As I carried it to the car, I could hear and feel parts moving around in the box and I was sure it was going to be a mess.

I got home and started opening it up, I took pictures of the box before opening it so I could show them what it looked like if there was a problem, about half of the staples were already ripped out of the box, but once I got the lid off I could see that as with the speakers Axiom packed it very well. I went through everything and it all appeared to be just fine.

I started assembling it, and I could say they could give you a little more instructions that just a basic diagram. The biggest problem I had getting it together was there was WAY too much paint in the threads. I had to take it back apart and clean the threads to get it to screw together and tighten up.

Now my biggest issue is that my receiver is about 7.75" tall but there is only 7.5" between the shelves, and I wanted to put a phonograph on the top. (Axiom: any chance of selling some longer tubes to space a shelf out more? I can get all-thread easily, but I don't know where to get the aluminum tubes from.)

Failing that, can anyone recomend a slide-out-tray to put a turntable on? Failing even that, can anyone recommend a 1/2 way decent turntable that can be operated in 7.5 inches of space? (Mine is an older 'linear' techics, so the lid is an integral part.)

Michael

Re: AS5 First Impressions
#6686 11/01/02 03:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

"Interesting" FedEx experience. But good news: we can get you longer aluminum tubes for your stand, although it takes about 3 months. Actually, the order has already been placed.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#6687 11/02/02 07:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
You know, the fact that the quality of Axiom products is very high for the price would likely keep me as a customer, but the absolute devotion to customer service is what will ensure I do and I'll happily recommend the company to any and all that have the need.

Keep it up guys.

#6688 11/03/02 01:02 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
On of the things I left out of my first impressions post, due to my FedEx fiasco, was that I really like the look and feel of the AS5 stand. Very nice indeed.

Now for what I think of it now:

When we were first putting it together we thought it might be a little wobbly but after we tightened it up, it became VERY solid. The shelves are coated with a VERY smooth satin black finish, which looks and feels nice.

I do question using carpet spikes for feet, is there a good reason for that? I currently have it sitting on the aluminum spike shoes on a little carpet. (So it can be moved around for re-wiring, etc. without damaging the floor.)

I finally got a chance to move all of my equipment on to the AS5 rack, and it looks very nice.

Overall I am very happy with it with my three wishes/suggestions to improve it would be:

1) Supply/sell longer tubes to space the shelves out further. (Alan said they can do this)
2) Have cut outs on the right side, as well as the left, for cable management. The cut outs got pretty jammed and I'm not done yet. An alternative would be to just make the cut out on the top shelf bigger
3) Sell an additional shelf kit (consisting of a Shelf, Tubes, and rod extension), or just the shelf and tubes, and let us find our own rod/all-thread.

In summary for my main HT system the AS5 would be perfect by having one more shelf, with the top two shelves 1.75" to 2" taller, and slightly more cable management.

Thanks Axiom!

Michael

#6689 01/14/03 07:47 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Alan,

Any word on taller tubes and/or extra shelves?

Michael

#6690 01/14/03 07:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That's what I'd like. I have large equipment and a lot of it plus I'd prefer a rack that was about as high as my bigscreen. As is, I'll probably go with Bell'O once I've cleared a few purchases.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044