Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How Should I upgrade? Athena Owner
#67143 11/04/04 12:14 AM
CedMan Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all, I'm new to this and after coming across Axiom and reading info about it for weeks I'm more confused than when I started.

It all started when I was unhappy about my sub and went shopping for a sub, I was looking for a good sub to replace my old JBL PB8, since then I was bitten by the bug and can't stop looking for ways to inprove my setup. Eventually I've landed on the Mirage Omni 10 that I have now and been very happy with it, here's my sub setup, that's set and good.

First thing I auditioned was a set of B & W, 602.S3 I believe, with the LC60 center and I was just blow away from the clarity from those speakers compared to my Athena setup. The dialogues were just so much better. Now reading all these reviews about the axiom I believe that the M22ti is a much better speakers than the B & W ... I am having a hard time believing small bookshelf like that would be a good replacement for my big Athena ASF2 Tower.

I would really like to try it out ... any ideas of how I should upgrade? It's kind of a big hit finanacially to upgrade all speakers altogher, I was wondering if someone can advice me a sensible upgrade path? If I get the M22ti do I have to get a matching ceter and surrounds to go with them? My surrounds are not exactly the best as well ...

As I mentioned I am more confused than when I was started.

Here's list of all my equipments:
Receiver Yamaha RX1400
Fronts Athena ASF2
Center Athena ASC1
Side Wharfdale WH-2
Back Wharfdale WH-2
Sub Mirage Omni 10

My room is about medium size, it's a L shape room with a big 100 screen and the center speakers sitting about the screen.

I know it's a long post ... I'm really sorry about it, but I am just too confused ... lol.

Yamaha RX1400 Athena ASF2 Athena ASC1 Wharfdale WH-2 Wharfdale WH-2 Mirage Omni 10
Re: How Should I upgrade? Athena Owner
#67144 11/04/04 12:54 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Where do you live? There might be someone who owns Axioms in your area.

Check this page.

#67145 11/04/04 12:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Funny you checked out the B&W's. When I finally bought my M22s two years ago, it was the B&W 602S2 that started me down this path. I've listened to them since (not the S3's, though) and what I've noticed is that the B&Ws are a little bloated in the bass, and kind of relaxed overall. That's not to say they're not a fine speaker, but I don't regret my decision to go with Axiom for even a second.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#67146 11/04/04 02:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome CedMan. Nothing wrong with a long post. It helps us understand your situation better. The m22's will work fine in a medium size room with a good sub. If there isn't anyone near you that can give you an audition, you might want to order a pair of m22's and try them out yourself. Return shipping shoudn't cost much If you decide you don't like them. But if you do, it would be wise to match them with and axiom center so you get a seamless transition while watching movies.
Concerning your upgrade question, try the m22's first. No need to buy everything at once. Add a center and surrounds when you can afford it. I've had my m60's for three months and still don't have an Axiom center or surrounds. Of course it might take a while longer because I blew my budget on an HSU stf-2 Saturday. lol.
By the way, what are the dimensions of your room anyhow? Later, Mike.

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

#67147 11/04/04 04:37 PM
CedMan Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks ... I got a drawing of the room in my computer, however I don't know how I can attach a picture to the post ...

Anyhow ... the room dimension is 19' Wide X 21.5' Deep ... with an opening on the left side being a L shape room, the opening is about 6' wide and 10.5' deep, I am setting everything to the right of the opening, ignoring that area and using the room like as a retangle shape with a big 10.5' side opening on the left side, that way the retangular shape is only 11' wide and 21.5' deep. I am setting my Sofa around 13.5' from the screen. Ceiling is only 7' tall.

Hope that would help understand my room better ...

Yamaha RX1400 Athena ASF2 Athena ASC1 Wharfdale WH-2 Wharfdale WH-2 Mirage Omni 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044