Shrek 2 audio probs
#68373 11/17/04 04:31 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
for any of you that might get the shrek 2 dvd, let me know if you hear any probs with the DD 5.1 mix..? there were several times in the movie where i heard what seemed to be a bad recording, and other times, just a plain bad mix.

here are a few examples.

-when shrek and fiona are in bed in the castle, and shrek cant sleep, there is a song playing as the camera does a close-up of the clock on the wall. the song has very hollow chimes and the voice of the singer seem to make my right front speaker get a buzz or muffle to it.

-when shrek, donkey, and puss are approaching the potion factory, there was an audible buzz in the left surround channel. now, it could have been intentional to simulate the 'factory' sounds that might be coming from the building, but it seemed out of place. not to mention, it was in the left surround, but the factory was on the right side of the screen.

-and the last thing i heard was when donkey has been changed into the horse, and he and shrek are trying to get back to the castle to save fiona. there is a part when he runs across a cobblestone street, and his hoofs make a clankty-clank sound. the mix in this scene is poor cause it sounds like the hoofs move from left surround, to the center channel too fast. almost like he hopped from one speaker to the other. just didnt sound natural.

anyway, those are the few things i can remeber. if any of you get a chance to watch this dvd, let me know if you have the same audio abnormalities. thx.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: Shrek 2 audio probs
#68374 11/17/04 06:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
John,

I think that the Fioan/Shrek bed scene (that sounds worse than it is) is supposed to sound that way. I think that the band is caleld the Eels and the singer's voice is supposed to soudn that way. I too thought that something might have been wrong in the recording of the soundtrack, but listened to it elsewhere and heard the crackling (like a distorted recording).

About the other two things, I can't comment, except to say that I didn't notice any problems in those scenes when listening/watching. It may be your copy of the disc or your impecable ears.

#68375 11/18/04 03:38 AM
devotee
devotee
bigjohn:

Other than the lack of any dynamics from the audio track, I didn't notice anything wrong. It's possible that one of the screws on the speaker need tightning. I may give the disc a spin tonight.

#68376 11/18/04 07:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey MiniRock, I noticed that you have an outlaw m200 in your setup driving your center channel. Can you describe any noticeable differences using it as opposed to your receivers' internal amps? Thanks, Richeydog.

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

#68377 11/18/04 07:54 AM
devotee
devotee
It makes a big difference man. With just the receiver the sound was strained at reference levels, but adding the M-200 has totally opened up the center channel. Everything that comes through it is crystal clear, effortless. I have had amps from B&K, Krell, Mac, Rotel, you name it. The M-200 is well worth the price; I couldn't recommend it enough.BTW, I watched Shrek 2 earlier, and the song in Fiona's bedroom does have a distorted sound, but it is intentional. Also the scene where Shrek is riding Donkey up to the castle, the sound from the rear left does go straight to the center as they pass by. It seemed natural, and I didn't find it distracting. Hope that helps.

#68378 11/18/04 02:12 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

and the song in Fiona's bedroom does have a distorted sound, but it is intentional

well, thats good to hear. i almost reckoned it had to be since it was so blatently obvious. i just coulndt see how something that bad, if not intentional, could have made the final cut. and thanks for the input on the donkey scene. it did seem 'extreme' to me, but we are blessed with a different pair of ears. so, makes sense we heard it different. i was out of the sweet spot a little, so i will re-examine it again. lord knows, my son will want to watch it about 20 more times, so i will have plenty of opportunitues.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#68379 11/19/04 12:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for you advice MiniRock. I thinking of buying a couple of b-stock m200's in the near future. I like my movies loud and would like the extra headroom for my m60's.

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

#68380 11/19/04 05:58 AM
devotee
devotee
Not only will it play loud, but also clean and clear.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,000 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup