Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yamaha RXV1400 vs Pioneer VSX1014TX vs HK AVR630
#68741 11/21/04 03:18 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Over the last few weeks I have been lucky enough to help some friends get on the road to HT. They all had unique budgets etc so it has been very interesting. I also served a little of my own purpose by not getting any of them the same receiver. They all knew it and nobody had a problem with it.

It was an absolute blast to play around with these 3 receivers and to also keep in mind how my Denon 3805 does against each of them. Anyway, does anyone have any interest in hearing me ramble about my thoughts on these 3 receivers? I had all 3 hooked up at my house on my own speakers for at least a full day and almost 5 day's with one of them! (I didn't want to give it back!) Guess which one? :-)

As always these will be my own thoughts and mine alone!.........................and to give you an idea as to how this went for me. If I had to rank them from the best on down, my Denon 3805 would not take top spot! Drives me nuts to have to say that but I'm dead serious.

Re: Yamaha RXV1400 vs Pioneer VSX1014TX vs HK AVR630
#68742 11/21/04 03:25 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Of course we want to hear what your thoughts are.Might as well say yes as I know we will hear them anyway. Just kidding,I'm interested.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#68743 11/21/04 03:31 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Yes we want all the gory details.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#68744 11/21/04 03:46 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
In reply to:

Might as well say yes as I know we will hear them anyway.

smartars! lol...........but your right! Gimme a bit and I will post my thoughts. They will however be short and sweet and I will try hard not to use any audio buzz words. lol

#68745 11/21/04 05:11 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hurry Hurry!! You got me excited!

#68746 11/21/04 05:23 AM
M
local
local
M
Cool Neverhappy. Definitely put me on the interested list!

Not surprised you've found a "better" reciever though, you gotta live up to that name (Neverhappy) after all...

Cheers, Jag

Pioneer VSX1014TX
#68747 11/21/04 07:27 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well it's late and I should be in bed, but I will bang off some of this now. Please ignore my bad grammar. It sucks and I know it and I don't care! :-)

First things first. All of these are very nice receivers. Some do things better then others but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'm also not real sure on how fair this is anyway. Some of these receivers are worth double and then some compared to what others are worth. The Pioneer can be had for $350.00 all over the net and the HK for example is double that at most places. The spread gets wider if you take into consideration MSRP................. But life is not fair so we press on!

If there is one thing that this has proved to me yet again, it's that not all receivers sound the same! Some think they do but I don't think so......at all. Anyone who can say that a HK and a Yamaha sound the same have never had the chance to listen to them one after another! DISCLAIMER.....remember I said this is my view and my view only.....so back off! :-)

Let's start with the sleeper in the group. The Pioneer. I can honestly say I was not expecting much from this thing. Not sure why, I just wasn't. Maybe it's because I have owned several DVD players made by Pioneer and I didn't like one of them. I also had an older Elite receiver several years ago and I hated it. No power, no bass, no nothing......but I digress. The Pioneer is what I would call a straight ahead receiver that does HT well and music even better. The one thing I really liked about the Pioneer was its ability to do an almost true bi-amp on the front channels! Thanks to DJ Stunna for clueing me in on this! The method that Pioneer employs is by far and away better then what is going around for the Denon 3805 and some others. I watched a few movies using the Pioneer and it did everything well (crossover flexibility is lacking in the Pioneer) but I always found myself spending more time with it listening to music. It does really well with audio! The Pioneer also seems to have decent power although I must admit I did get it to clip twice when I was getting really silly with the volume. Under normal circumstances I would never listen to anything this loud but I was playing and being stupid! As I did with all of these receivers, I played with the respective auto set-up or room calibration etc etc...........I don't like Pioneers. To be fair however, I hate them all. My Denon 3805 doesn't get it right either and the Pioneer was no different. Anybody who has there respective system set with this feature may want to check it again with a SPL and see if your missing out on anything.

End of the story is this. The Pioneer would not be my own choice for HT out of the bunch listed here nor would I give up my Denon 3805 for it, but don't pass by it to fast. I should also mention that if I was ranking these receivers, the Pioneer although not my top pick, would also not be at the bottom of the heap either. For the money this thing is a steal of a deal. However when it comes to just kicking back and cranking some tunes, the Pioneer is at the top of the heap as far as I'm concerned. It could use a little more power but other then that, not bad at all!

Re: Pioneer VSX1014TX
#68748 11/21/04 07:48 AM
devotee
devotee
I'll back you up 110% NeverHappy. I've now owned both the H/K 630 and the Yamaha 1500. They sound as different as night and day. The processing is different, the clean/warm amplification is totally different.

This comparison was based on all the same speakers in all the same positions.

For one to say..."it's all about the features"...is the wrong thing to say. It should be more like..."features are imporatant, but not everything."

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#68749 11/21/04 12:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I am delighted that you liked the 'sleeper' so much for 2 channel! (Especially considering 2-ch direct is the only thing I use my 1014 for 95% of the time. )

On a side note: I am very, very impressed that you were able to make it clip and you still have your hearing intact - heh. I guess your room must be much bigger than mine or I must be a wuss when it comes to loud volumes.

Out of curiosity, which would be the HT pick? I would guess the Yamaha, with your Denon beating them all, correct? I assume this due to Yamaha being the pioneer (no pun intended) of the auto calibration idea and being the clear DSP technology leader.

#68750 11/21/04 02:39 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I find very interesting the fact that you had the chance to test all these Receivers at home, but I find even more interesting the fact that you liked the Pioneer the most!

To be honest, I'm not surprised. The 1014 is one of the best regarded receivers in its class in other forums (Really, people loves it in AVS forum). I'm not a Pioneer owner, as I like Onkyo's processing better. In fact I just bought a TX-SR602 to replace my year old TX-SR600 and I'm enjoying my terible speakers as I never did...

I guess things change, so did Pioneer...Cool!

Don't die wondering...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020