Component vs DVI and cabling?
#68781 11/21/04 06:08 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
After wiring my room for the surrounds I had the thought that it may be a good time to wire up the room for the projector that I'm hoping for in the future.

The wire would be running from one end of the room to the other. That is the reciver, DVD player would be in the front and the projector on the back wall. So we're probably talking about a 35'+ length of cable.

1) The question is should I wire up for a component video and/or a DVI connection?

2) Besides one being analog and the other digital is there any advantage of DVI over component?

3) What kind of wire would I use for one or the other or both? I'm thinking of putting in the wiring and then adding connectors later. I don't know the wire requirements for either of these but I'm HOPING I could use one kind of wire and decide at a later date which type of connection I want to use.

Thanks for the advice, Jag

Re: Component vs DVI and cabling?
#68782 11/21/04 06:10 AM
shareholder in the making
DVI uses at least 15 pins, so it's not going to be the same cable as the component. There's also HDMI, which I think goes for longer distances than DVI without a booster in the middle.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#68783 11/21/04 10:41 AM
xj8 Offline
regular
regular
Just wired in component cable to my projector which is ceiling mounted. Same set up as yours with the receiver/dvd at the front. My decision was based on cost as the component cable for 35 feet was just over $200 dollars. You will find the the DVI cabling will be a lot more, probably double, and the advise was that I would need a booster. The gain in picture quality was supposed to be negligible.
Probably the best advise that I got off the web is if you can, place your wiring from one wall to the other in PVC piping along with a pull string or wire. If you ever want to change the wiring to whatever is invented next, you can easily pull through the new wire versus trying to run it around the walls. (Obviously this is done pre-drywall stage)

#68784 11/21/04 01:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Jag, if you're trying to "future-proof your wire run, you should definitely run an HDMI cable. It is the coming standard for video and audio. Already, displays and sources are hitting the market with HDMI ins and outs.

And, as Ken mentioned, you can make longer cable runs (a common thing with projectors) without running into the problems that some have experienced with long DVI runs. HDMI is backward compatible with DVI (using an adapter, or HDMI/DVI cable). But, if possible, avoid a source with HDMI out connected to a projector (or HDTV) with only DVI in. Some (but not all) have experienced a problem with that combination. In the near future, I'm going to have just this setup (HDMI out DVD player to a DVI in HDTV. I'll try to remember to post if I have any problems). A source with DVI out to a projector with HDMI in has worked fine and, of course, HDMI to HDMI works fine.

If you REALLY want to be safe, run both a component AND and HDMI cable. You'll REALLY have your bases covered.

And yes, the HDMI (or DVI) cable will probably be more expensive than the component cable, but the picture will be commensurately improved.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68785 11/21/04 04:09 PM
This might be a dumb suggestion, as I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but...

Why put ANY expensive cable in your ceiling if you're unsure if it's the right one? Why not run a 2" PVC pipe behind the sheetrock to an appropriate position, then put a single nail in the sheetrock at that position, so when you paint it you'll remember the spot. Afterwards, either the tiny hole from the nail itself or a small added mark will identify the location for you in a year or two or whenever you're ready for the projector. THEN you can go through the sheetrock and fish the appropriate cable through. Hell, you can install the pipe with a string already through it.

Basically, you're giving yourself an easy way to install the projector later without committing to it with $$$ or by cable choice...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#68786 11/21/04 04:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like a great idea to me.

#68787 11/22/04 05:08 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
Hey Mark, not a dumb suggestion but the thing is my room was finished before I ever conisidered getting into Home Theatre. All that's left is some molding and baseboard.

This is how I have been running the cables. Along the perimiter of the room and the up inside the walls. Once its all done I'll be installing baseboards over it all and that is why I'm thinking of doing the wiring now. Once I've put the baseboards on there's no turning back.

I like the idea of 2" PVC and wish I had considered using the room for HT before finishing it, but that was 5 years ago. After getting into HT I have often thought that running a conduit like 2" PVC would be an awesome way to go.

Next house....

Cheers, Jag

#68788 11/22/04 05:12 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
Thanks Ajax. So it looks like HDMI is the way to go especially since it will likely be awhile before I get a projector. ( that EP500 burnt all of my projector budget )

So can anyone tell me then what kind of cable do I get to run an HDMI line. That is, I"m thinking of just the bundled wire not a cable with connectors on it. I figure this will be alot cheaper considering the distance I have to go.

Thanks for the help, Jag

#68789 11/22/04 06:29 AM
Do you have experience terminating serious multi-pin cables (such as parallel, SCSI, etc)? If not, get the full on cable and save yourself the grief. If so, then you need to find a retailer who will sell you cable specific to HDMI. I imagine there is a spec for it.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#68790 11/22/04 09:29 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
Well I have a bit of experience doing network cables....?

Anyone recommend a retailer for HDMI specific cable. I'd prefer this DIY route as it will be REALLY expensive for the length I need if I get a full on cable.

Cheers, Jag

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020