Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: More MX-700 Questions from an ignorant remote
#68905 11/27/04 03:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Then the list in your IR Database should be up to date. If you have a piece of equipment that doesn't appear in that list, there are several things you can do.

1. In the IR Database, you can go down all the models listed by the manufacturer of your piece of equipment, and TEST The codes for each model to see if they work with yours.

Test the Code Set
A.Verify the MX-700/800 is loaded with fresh batteries and connect the MX-700/800 to the PC via the serial port.
B.Turn on the component
C. Point the connected MX-700/800 so that it is in range and within line of sight of the component.
D. Click on the Test button
E. Observe the component. If it stays on, click on another Model and continue until you find the
Code Set that turns the component off. When it turns off, click on Save.

2. You can go to The MX-700 section of the files database at Remote Central to see if anyone has uploaded the codes for your device. Remember that many manufacturers use the same codes for all, or many, of their models. So, If you can't find a file for your specific model, you might want to download and check some files for other models.

3. You can go to the Phillips Pronto & ProntoPRO section of the files database at Remote Central and look for .ccf files for your device. The codes in these files will work, also.

4. You can use the remote that came with your device to "teach" the MX-700 the codes. (Pages 25 to 29 in the manual). It's a bit more time consuming, but once you get into the routine, it can go quite quickly.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68906 11/27/04 05:10 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Zarak, Jack has laid the process out very nicely. Please read through the programming manual; it's an easy read and shows the way.

The main attraction for the MX-700 are the files at Remote Central. While the IR Database for the remote can get you functional, the rich set of files users have established at Remote Central can really make the 700 shine with additional codes and ideas for you. Concentrate on the .ccf files in the "Philips Pronto & Pronto Pro" section and this will require use of the Universal Browser piece of MX-Editor, as explained in the manual.

#68907 11/27/04 05:14 PM
regular
regular
In reply to:

1. In the IR Database, you can go down all the models listed by the manufacturer of your piece of equipment, and TEST The codes for each model to see if they work with yours.

That's a great summary Ajax.

With regard to the first step, start by choosing a model number that's closest to yours and take note of the 3-digit code that appears in the "Enter Code Number" box above the model listing. If the codeset you try doesn't work, choose a model number that has a different 3-digit code. This may save you some time going through a long list.

Also, even if your make and model is in the database, if it doesn't have discretes (ie: separate on/off and input commands) for the component your programming, go to the MX-700 and Pronto files mentioned to add discretes that may exist there.

Mike Surf Remote Control Surf Audio Video
#68908 11/27/04 07:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Geez Jack....a walking MX-700 user manual!

I am working on customizing my MX-700 even more. Testing would be a lot easier if my laptop had a serial port.

#68909 11/27/04 08:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank you Ray, Mike, and Curtis. Jeez, I'm truly flattered. When I post my explanations, like those above, I'm always cringing with the feeling that I'm just not making sense. That's why I often suggest going to the manual. It says it so much better than I can.

Curtis, I've had this thing more than 6 months, and I'm STILL customizing it. I keep feeling I can get it even more simple than I've got it. The GREAT thing is, it's so easy to make changes and download them, that I have no qualms about changing things. What a blast!

No serial port, Curtis? Yeah, that would make it simpler. I just leave my cable connected to my serial port and tucked neatly out of sight beside the computer. When I want to download, I just whip it out (the cable; THE CABLE! ), plug it in (the cable; THE CABLE ), and do my download.

Jack

#68910 11/27/04 09:08 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jack, let's not lose our heads here - nobody accused you of making sense! Like you, I tweak this thing often and it makes the whole experience just excellent. While the need for the manual is less and less over time, I keep it handy and seem to learn something new everytime I use it.

I absolutely dreaded fooling with the MX-500 and avoided it as much as possible. Then I needed to pull the manual out when I made changes because I forgot the routine and needed extra hands to use the manual/re-do the 500.

#68911 11/27/04 09:50 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
Is it easy to reprogram the MX-700 for a new, replacement piece of equipment?

As you may remember, I ordered and received the remote, but I haven't done anything with it yet despite the offers of help. I had company over Thanksgiving, and just really had too much to do before the company came. Now that they left and I had a free day, instead of programming the remote, I spent the day researching a Samsung DLP and ordered it.

So now I'm wondering, should I just wait a few days for that to come in and then reprogram the remote, or just wait for the Samsung to be delivered?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#68912 11/27/04 10:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have the Mx-700 and I love it. It has saved a lot of remote swapping. Most important my wife doesn't complain anymore.The frustration is gone
I would wait for the TV. That way you’re not duplicating your efforts.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#68913 11/27/04 10:32 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Mark - here's where the 700 shines. It has 20 devices available. Just use one of your empty devices and setup your DLP TV. You can continue to use the remote for your existing TV until the new one is delivered. Upon delivery, you are ready to go with the DLP (you will need to tweak any existing macros set up for the older TV for the new DLP).

Once your equipment is all hooked up, you can delete the entire device for the old TV and move the new DLP device around to where you want it.

#68914 11/27/04 11:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Jack, let's not lose our heads here - nobody accused you of making sense!

Sheesh! Rodney Dnagerfield, I tell ya. I'm Rodney Dangerfield.

Jack

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082