Rate Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: More MX-700 Questions from an ignorant remote
#68815 11/22/04 12:38 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Whew! Lotsa questions. Mark, Jack is correct - there aren't many things you can't program into the MX-700. However, as Curtis points out, the whole 4 Sony thing might be problematic if they all use the same codes (this would be aproblem then for ANY remote you chose).. I suspect they may not. One way to check is this - get each of those remotes out and hit the power button for each one. If the remote only turns on the unit it is specific to, you are in business and can program each separately. I have a similar issue right now in that the same commands operate my Denon 2900 DVD player and my Denon 4800 5 CD changer. The only solution I had (they both have a standby function) was to turn off the 4800 and leave the 2900 in standby. In this way, the 700 only operates the 2900. When I am going to use the 4800 for music, I simply turn the 2900 off. Simple to do, if a bit kludgy. Once you do the individual remote test, call Mike at Surf Remote Control. Ask him about 1) the daisy chain, 2)the 4 Sony unit thing and 3) the timer issue. Mike's customer service rivals that of Axiom.

If each of your cmponents has atimer function, then you simply need to find the command and program it into the 700. Don't forget that the 700 is also a learning remote, so you can use the individual remote(s) to teach the 700.

As far as the 3805 goes, the MX-700 is nothing short of hog heaven. There is a "Philips Pronto and Pronto Pro" Files section at Remote Central for Denon receivers that has a file created by a gentleman named David Grey. There are 2 files there and you would want the earlier one. Unfortunately, no sleep or timer command. However, the file (which comes with an excel spreadsheet listing each command) has EVERY Denon receiver code available. Better than a toy store.

Ooops - forgot. Battery life is pretty much a non-issue. About 4 months for heavy usage and it uses 4 AAs.

Last edited by Ray3; 11/22/04 12:40 AM.
#68816 11/22/04 01:31 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Curtis wrote:
In reply to:

one thing to remember is if the different CD players use the same codes, there is no way to differentiate which CD player you want to receive the code.

For instance....if you have two Sony jukeboxes, and choose to hit "play"....both those jukeboxes will get that command.

The Sonys have a button on the front panel (and a switch on the remote) to designate whether you are controlling the "master" or the "slave" jukebox. I think the jist of how it works is that the remotes' signal is basically always going to the Master unit, but then the control cable that connects the two allows the Master unit to then control the slave unit.

Unfortunately, my aforementioned Sony universal remote would not allow the programming of the button that allows you to choose whether you're controlling the Master or Slave. In other words, my gut feeling is that the MX-700, if fully programmable, would allow that function to be assigned.

My concern was whether or not there's a limit to the number of a certain "type" of component. In other words, you may be allowed to control up to 20 components, but it might be limited to three disc players or something, and the fourth would have to be a modified "mini-disc" function or something.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#68817 11/22/04 02:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
No limit on any "type" of device. It controls 20 devices of any kind.

When you watch a DVD movie, you've got 3 devices operating - TV, DVD player, and receiver. If you program one of those 20 "devices" to control things when watching a movie, you can program any of the buttons to control functions for all 3 of the devices, without having to do a lot of switching from screen to screen.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68818 11/22/04 02:35 AM
OP Offline
OK, I'm sold.

Let me review the dealers mentioned above and I'll order one tonight!

Edited: I ordered one from Surf based upon everyone saying that "Mike" is a great guy. I went for two-day FedEx so I would hopefully get it before Thanksgiving...to give me something to do while vegging after the feast!

Of course, I have no idea if they ship "next business day" or if it takes three days before they ship. I kinda did this whole thing on faith.

You guys better be right! Oh. And "thank you" for all your help!

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 11/22/04 02:59 AM.

#68819 11/22/04 03:10 AM
veteran
veteran
Man I want this remote so BAD!!!

I went with the harmony 659 because I would have spent hours and hours just programing/playing with the mx-700!!!

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#68820 11/22/04 03:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, you DO spend hours and hours programming the MX-700. It kept me off the streets and out of trouble. Also, it's kinda fun .

Mark, you have any problems don't hesitate to call......................................................................Ray.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68821 11/22/04 03:18 AM
veteran
veteran
hehe, problem is I have homework to do...and I already have sooo many movies to watch...

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#68822 11/22/04 03:34 AM
OP Offline
In reply to:

Mark, you have any problems don't hesitate to call......................................................................Ray

COOL! Can you PM me his cell number? That way I can get hiim at something other than "normal business hours"!

#68823 11/22/04 04:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Unfortunately, my aforementioned Sony universal remote would not allow the programming of the button that allows you to choose whether you're controlling the Master or Slave. In other words, my gut feeling is that the MX-700, if fully programmable, would allow that function to be assigned.

Does that code actually exist? The question would be if there are actually codes to control the slave device seperately from the master.

If there is a code, chances are the MX-700 can handle it, if there is not a code...no remote will handle it.

Re: More MX-700 Questions from an ignorant remote user
#68824 11/22/04 04:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

If I finish my movie, and want to watch TV, I hit the "Main" button which takes me back to the "Main" screen, hit the "Page" button, which takes me to Page 2 of the "Main" screen, then hit "Switch" which takes me to the "Switch" screen where I have macros programmed to switch me from one function to another. It takes just 2 seconds to hit those 3 buttons, bing bang boom. Then I press the "RetTV" (Return to TV) button, and that one button closes the DVD tray; turns off the DVD player; turns on the cable box; switches inputs on my receiver and shuts it off; turns up the TV volume and switches the TV input from "DVI" to "S-Video 1". Viola! TV!

That all sounds fine to me, but I don't know if my wife would like it. She already complains that there are too many buttons to push to do things and that it is too confusing. I don't think hitting those couple of buttons that don't directly relate to the device being controlled would work for her.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters