SUB-jective thoughts ?
#6945 11/22/02 02:19 AM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Like some others, I am sitting here at work, with some time to kill.. What better, than to stir up the old 'which sub' pot..
Really, I do have some questions to ask.. First, does anyone own both the SVS type as well as the more conventional box type ? If so, and if both have similar rated amps and cone size, have you noticed any difference in the sound ?
My basic understanding, low freq is low freq, and that subs are not rated for things like timbre.. More the quickness of the cone to handle fast passages, as well as long low tones, and it's ability to maintain it's shape during both..
As for the enclosure, I have it again on very good authority, that as long as it is done correctly, one is really no better over the other.. It's all a matter of taste and amount of money you have to spend ? I am sure there is much much more to it all, but I am personally interested in the Axiom (to match my other Axiom spkrs), and the SVS line.. Which brings us back to my question, has anyone heard both types in the same room ? Thoughts ?
Oh yeah, the SVS goes a bit lower, into the 20's, Axioms cutting off in the thirties.. Is this really something to worry about ? I mean, real life, seat of the pants, will this be a factor ? If I added a 2nd Axiom sub, would the small diff in low freg still be a concern ?
Closing comments of my own.. I love my Axioms.. NO complaints at all.. I have never heard an svs, or their type ? I, for one, don't mind the shape, as my room is on the Art Deco side, and the (ugly ?) black tube would not be that big a deal..
Well, there you have it.. Another example of what a boring day at work will do to ya.. I promise, this will be my one dumb post for the week.. Fridays are way too busy here for me to indulge in such behavior.. hahaaa

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Re: SUB-jective thoughts ?
#6946 11/22/02 04:06 AM
veteran
veteran
Is this why my Fed deliveries are always late? Now we really know how the world works .

I have just not that long ago tried the SVS sub, one of my friends has the CS-Ultra which he just purchased recently. When compared in the same location as my EP350 we really could not tell any difference between the two. When we switched the subs around once we had established the identical volume levels using the SPL meter niether of us could tell which one was which doing blind tests. The only sub I have tried that I could tell any appreciable difference was when I recently had the opportunity to bring home a Velodyne HGS-15 and the HGS-18 to play with for a weekend; but then we are into another completely different class of animal.

I could not be more pleased with the 3 Axiom subs I have. They provide enough earth shaking bass I am sure has loosened the tiles upstairs!

#6947 11/22/02 02:16 PM
devotee
devotee
Always ??? I for one hope not. My bonus might not be so big this year. You're typing on break...right Mikey?

#6948 11/22/02 09:01 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Busted ?!! haha.. Far be it from me to be hammering away on the old forum keyboards, when couriers and shippers are all in need of my attention !!? Well, maybe once in a while ?
Now, as to the dualing subs, I could not have asked for a better answer.. That's just was I was looking for.. An A/B blind test.. And, it's great news, as I do love my Axioms..
You have 3 subs yourself, eh ? All EP350's ? All in the same room ?
I will do two for sure, and possibly a 3rd in the larger (attached to theater) all purpose room ? Time will tell.. Maybe sooner, what with the cash back program going on with Axiom right now... !!

#6949 11/22/02 09:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi Mikey,

Actually I went with 2 EP175's and 1 EP350. I like the tighter bass of the 175's. I kept the 1 350 mainly for movies to give the little bit more bottom end for the special efffects. I did try all 350's and all 175's in the end I liked the overall setting I got from 2 175's up front and the 350 at the back of the room. Some time in the new year I will either add one more 350 to the back or I may just bite the bullet and buy 4 of the Velodynes, and retire the Axioms to my other ht setup in the family room.

#6950 11/22/02 11:21 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Whoo, just how big IS your theater room ? I mean, your 'main' room, not the 'extra' theater room.. haha.. And I thought I had a lot of space to play with ??
As for the 175's, yeah, that the word I hear.. Fast and tight, a hard combination to beat..

#6951 11/24/02 07:59 PM
veteran
veteran
My HT area is kind of hard to define, as it is a large open area of about 1500 square feet. The length and width of the main area if you were to take it as a rectangle and cut off the open room to the backside where the pool table is would be about 35x22. The back area is L shaped and is open to where the pool table is, which would be about 20x15. Then the front is open to a large hallway, which leads to 2 spare rooms the bathroom and the furnace room. The upstairs is a more traditional rectangular shaped family room open at the end with a large archway to the kitchen, this room is 27x16 so it too is a good sized room for a HT setup. This is where I have my first HT setup that I purchased, so if I am downstairs watching a movie, or some sports channel, and the kids decide too have friends over they can go up stairs and watch DVD’s without bugging me to leave my comfy chair just so they can watch a movie.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044