Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Best Rock albums on your Axiom M60's/M80's
#70149 12/21/04 02:36 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Since I started this post I will add another:

Crossfade

Really cool sound - hard rock/metal with intelligent/intelligable lyrics.

#70150 12/25/04 11:35 PM
local
local
I see some posts recommending a certain performer, without specifying the album.

In my experience specific albums can sound good (from an audio engineering standpoint, not artistically), and others by the same performer sound bad.

One of the most dramatic differences is the two classic Elton John albums "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player", and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road."

Both albums were by the same performer, recorded at the same studio, using the same producer, within 1 year of each other. "Don't Shoot Me" has great songs but they're flat, muddy and lifeless from an audio engineering and mixing standpoint -- even the latest digitally remastered CD. By contrast "Yellow Brick Road" is vibrant, clear, almost three dimensional (both stereo and SACD).

They had different engineers, maybe that's why the difference. Beware buying based on artist alone.

My favorite "demo" albums are (not all rock, but these are all superbly-engineered albums):

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD)
Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD)
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (SACD)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (SACD)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DVD-A)
Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-A)

#70151 12/29/04 06:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey,

More NIN fans that are audiophiles! I knew his music appealed to us

Yes, And All That Could Have Been on DTS is SUPERB! As is the 'still' CD, the last track is some of the best stereo imaging I have ever heard.

I hear the downward spiral is absolutely fantasticd on SACD. I'd give it a listen but I'm currently living where it is not sold and where I don't have my speakers

A big recommendation for NIN fans, and any music lover for that matter, is the SACD of UP by Peter Gabriel. Just brilliant!

#70152 12/29/04 01:20 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
I've been looking for the NIN "And all that could have been" DTS version. I've been having a hard time finding it. I went and saw this tour in Philly (Perfect Circle opened). It was awesome. I went into the show looking forward to seeing Perfect Circle and came out blown away by NIN.
Anyway, I just bought the Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD (has a DTS setting but it's not advertised on the box). It has some awesome performances not to mention fantastic sound. My favorite track is Santana and Clapton playing 'Jingo'.

#70153 12/29/04 05:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't know what the date is going to be in Philly for NIN this year, but I'm going. I hope perfect circle opens again. I've never seen NIN, so I can't miss this one. Do you live in Philly? Whereabouts?

#70154 12/29/04 07:33 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
I live in Lancaster County about an hour and a half south west of Philly. I didn't know NIN was touring again. I'm a big TOOL fan so when we went to the last NIN show I was only really looking forward to seeing Perfect Circle. Didn't really give much thought to NIN...but Trent definitly changed my view point of NIN.

I just got a SVS PB10-ISD sub (never owned a sub before) and I was looking for the NIN DVD (in DTS) because I figured it would have some real kicking bass to show off my new sub.

#70155 12/29/04 07:56 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
SonicFox,
I have two dredg discs...Leitmotif and El Cielo. I can't say I'm a huge fan of El Cielo but Leitmotif is probably one of the best CD's I own.

Any TOOL fans on here? The Lateralus disc is probably one of the best sounding CD's I own. Here's my list of best sounding stuff I own...
1. Metallica Cunning Stunts (DVD)
2. Led Zepplin (DVD)
3. Roger Waters In the Flesh (DVD)
4. Clapton Crossroads Benefits Concert (the Nov. 2004 edition) (DVD)
5. TOOL - Lateralus (CD)
6. Grateful Dead - The Closing of Winterland (DVD)
7. Janes Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual ...Janes has a DVD out but the sound, unfortunately, is sub par as far as DVD's are concerned.

Question: Does the Dark Side of the Moon SACD played on a regular CD player (don't have SACD yet) sound significantly better then the original Dark Side of the Moon on CD?

#70156 12/29/04 08:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
the SACD of darkside will only play on a regular cd player if it is a dual-layer disc.. in other words, it has BOTH formats on the disc, the sacd, and the regular. i would think that the sacd played on regular cd player would not be much better than the standard version.. however, the SACD of darkside, played on a SACD player, is simply AWESOME. the disc creates its own environment. voices and sounds seem to come from all directions. 'big gig in the sky' becomes a swirling vortex in the center of your living room. guitars breath and the instruments seem to come alive. to me, it is the reference standard to which all sacd's should be compared. i am amazed everytime i play it.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#70157 12/29/04 09:24 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
I'm pleased Pink Floyd is still setting the standard for amazing sound quality. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to enjoy it!! I may be looking for a SACD next Christmas. I'm kind of disappointed though. I thought more artists would would take aim at a better medium but the number of SACD's, around my area anyway, is slim pickins.

#70158 12/29/04 09:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Check out www.nin.com. Trent is planning on releasing an album around March time frame, with a tour to follow. No dates announced yet.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters