Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: OT -- DIGITAL CAMERAS
#70817 12/10/04 02:56 PM
veteran
veteran
I am not a photography expert by any means, but I have been using digital cameras since my .8 megapixal Sony Mavica. So take my comments/opinions with that in mind.

Deciding on what camera to buy really depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is use it for everyday picture taking and be able to print out regular sized pictures for a scrap book, then a 3mp - 4mp camera will be perfect.

How many megapixals to get really depends on what size pictures you want to print. There is no reason to get a 6+ mp camera if you will never print anything bigger than 8x10. I personally wouldn't get anything less than 4mp but the 3mp should be the bare minimun unless all you want to do is email and keep pics on your computer.

By all means the most important aspect of the zoom is the optical zoom. The digital zoom aspect is no where near as important as the optical.

Best Buys website has a quick little guide to digital cameras.

Guide to Photo Quality
Guide to Megapixals

Maybe do a web search on the above 2 topics to get a better description from a photography website.
I now own a 4mp Canon G2 and love it except for the fact that its too big to simply stick in your pocket.
I have had quite a few friends who have had the different versions of the Canon Elph and they loved them.

I personally would like to get the Sony Cyber-shot 5.0-Megapixel Digital Camera. Slim, compact and robust for something that can slip into my pocket. I just can't see spending another $500 on a camera when my G2 is still a great quality camera.

EDIT: Another consideration is what type of memery cards the camera uses. If you already have a digital camcorder, it may make sense to stay with a camera that uses the same memory cards. My Sony TV even has slots for the memory sticks so I can see my pictures on the TV screen. Too bad I have a Canon. Those memory cards won't fit. Sony is a little more proprietary with their memory cards.

Shag

Last edited by shag; 12/10/04 03:01 PM.

Shag
#70818 12/10/04 03:34 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

Another consideration is what type of memery cards the camera uses.

I personally prefer cameras that take AA batteries over proprietary designs as well. Not only is it much easier/less expensive to buy rechargeable spares, if you're on vacation and need some in a pinch, any convenience store will do.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#70819 12/10/04 03:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
gnrajagopal
I took the shots with a "Fuji S2 Pro". It is a 6.1 megapixel camera made for Fuji by Nikon. Its my fun camera.
My work camera is a Phase One H20 on a Hasseblad ELD body. 22megapixel.

Last edited by bray; 12/10/04 03:40 PM.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#70820 12/10/04 04:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOVED those photos, Brady. Those two little girls are dolls!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#70821 12/10/04 04:35 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Bray, thank you for sharing your art with us.

Mark, I hear what you're saying about batteries, but my experience has been absolutely great with the little rechargeable battery pack on my Canon. It holds a charge REALLY well (I've never had a problem needing more juice), it is extremely light weight, and it has saved me probably hundreds of dollars on batteries. I was skeptical before I bought it, but my experience has convinced me that it is a viable approach. Of course, you could mitigate some of that by getting a good-quality rechargeable AA setup as you suggest.

I'm not trying to argue, because I think the points you raise are completely accurate. I just wanted to share my perspective.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#70822 12/10/04 05:08 PM
I guess from a professional standpoint, I never wanted to run out of juice on a location shoot. You can never have enough videotape, film (sic) or battery power, and flexibility is King.

I recommend the same thing to consumers, because for MOST of their cameras, a day in Disney World would cause real problems in battery power (and memory as well). I usually carry 3-5 sets of rechargeable AAs, but know that I'd have to be pretty far from a convenience store to not get back-up if needed in a pinch.

It's not a deal-breaker to me if a camera has a proprietary battery setup, but all other things being equal, I'd choose a model that took AAs if I had to choose.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#70823 12/10/04 05:45 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well spoke, as always Mark.

You've got a professional frame of reference - I just take snapshots.

Like I said, I think your approach has advantages, and I was somewhat surprised by my overall positive experience with that little square pack thingy.

When did Flexibility succeed Elvis?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#70824 12/14/04 12:21 AM
through another website I read, I was pointed to a great explanation of current digital camera technology. It compares digital SLRs (the really expensive ones) to standard digital cameras. It uses Flash so it's all shiny and polished, but it still informs well.

A Tale of Two Cameras

#70825 01/13/05 07:00 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i thought i would revive this thread too.

as ya'll know, i ended up buying my wife the Canon A95 digital camera for christmas. i want to thank all of ya'll for the advice and links provided.. they were all VERY helpful. i just wanted to post a few of the pics she has taken with the camera. once again, thanks.

this is my 5 month old, jackson. i think he was hungry?

and here, turning on the charm..

once she learns all of the cameras features, she can teach me how to use it. so, i might start posting more pics, just cause i can...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#70826 01/13/05 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What a super cute and jolly looking little fellow.
Thanks for the pics bigjohn.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616