LITTLE A THIS, LITTLE A THAT
#72523 12/17/04 03:06 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
well, my quest to build my sister an HT is almost over. i have patchworked equip from here and there, and managed to build her a very respectable system on a tight budget.

the power is coming from an H/K AVR130, that bray had laying around after a bad case of upgradeitis. he also had a spare velodyne CHT10 taking up space once his new SVS arrived, so he let me take that off his hands too.. lorenzo had an old school axiom CTC-20 center channel sitting in a box, so he decided to let it live again, and made me an offer i couldn't refuse. i want to thank BOTH of them for giving me the opportunity to get this equip from them. great guys, and i was very happy to deal with them.

and as mentioned before, the fronts and surrounds are going to be axiom M1ti's that i got from CanadianHiFi.com at an awesome price. that is a really great company to deal with. their service is on par with axiom.

so, i still need to get some speaker wire and interconnectors, and maybe a mounting bracket or two, but i am pretty much done. all i have to do now is wait for the speakers to be delivered. i plan on doing some testing of the M1ti's here at my house. if i am impressed, i may even buy another pair for a second system in my bedroom.

the HT system is a christmas gift, and i wont see my sister til new years weekend, so the system wont be set-up til after that. once it is up and going, i will post the results, and give you my impressions.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: LITTLE A THIS, LITTLE A THAT
#72524 12/18/04 01:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
John
Glad I could help. And I wanted to thank you also. Being a freelance photographer this time of year sucks. I've worked 3 days now in the last 2 months, so cash flow hasnt been great. I'm just glad I've had a great year overall and was able to save some money despite the upgradeitis.
Anyway the money I got for the H/K and Velodyne has gone into Christmas presents for loved ones...........so thankyou again.
P.S. I have the HSU VTF3 MK2 not a crappy ole SVS.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#72525 12/18/04 01:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Those guys at canadianhifi must be on vacation. I emailed them two days ago about some Mzero's and haven't heard peep.

#72526 12/18/04 08:07 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Those guys at canadianhifi must be on vacation

i hate that you haven't heard back from them. my experience with them was excellent. in fact, the M1ti's i ordered got here yesterday, so i was going to post a quick review.

the M1ti's were delivered yesterday morning. once i got home, i busted open the boxes and hooked them up. the build quality was as i expected, solid.. no real surprises, since i already am familiar with axiom products. they only have the single set of binding posts in the back, unlike my 60's, which have 2. they were also a little lighter than i had expected. i simply placed them on top of the 60's, and started playing music. right off the bat, i was impressed with the amount of sound coming from such small speakers. the highs were very crisp, the mids were medium to strong, but the bass was lacking. thats OK, i expected that , they are bookshelves. i adjusted the crossover from 80Hz to 100Hz, so the sub could help out more, and it made a nice difference. it did make the bass seem more 'located', but it was a quick test, i am sure i could have worked that out with placement. as far as the M1ti's, there sound is very impressive. i keep trying to compare them to my 60's, which isnt fair, but they could really hold up on their own. in fact, my wife came in the door as i was playing some AC/DC at pretty good levels, so i turned it down a bit. after about 5 minutes, i asked her what she thought, and she asked, "about what?" i said "the new speakers". she just kinda laughed and said, "i didnt even realize you wernt playing the big ones". with just the M1's playing, she said she thought it sounded as good as the 60's. now, i wont go that far, but that lets you know just how clean and loud these little babies can go. i gotta admit, i was extremely impressed overall, and have no reservations about recommending them to anyone with a small to mid-size room to fill.

just wanted to give a short list of CD's/DVD's i sampled.

fleetwood mac- rumors
AC/DC- back in black
norah jones- come away with me
system of a down- toxicity
staind-dysfunctional
police- greatest hits
allison krause and union station- live
eminem- M&M show
pink floyd- darkside SACD
scenes from band of brothers, DTS
scenes from jurassic park, DTS
scenes from pulp fiction, DTS
scenes from fight club, DD

i plan on listening to a few other CD's and movies today. i am really gonna put the power to them, and see just how much they can take. i didnt come close to making them struggle last night, but i never really pushed them super hard. these bookshelves are very impressive, and i am just blown away. it pleases me to know that my sister will have one good HT very soon!!

bigjohn

#72527 12/19/04 01:23 AM
devotee
devotee
BigJohn - Great to hear you're satisifed both w/ the M1s and w/ the vendor. They had a rapid turnaround for me, which was great. Like you, when I hooked the M1s up, I was pleasantly surprised. For their size and price, they are a great set of speakers. I hope your sister enjoys them.

#72528 12/19/04 02:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>i am really gonna put the power to them, and see just how much they can take.

If they're anything like M2s they will get unhappy if you run them "large" but will surprise the heck out of you at high volumes if you run them "small" and cross over at 80-100 Hz.

Would be interested to know how the M1s work out. On behalf of all of us thanks for rescuing another potential victim from a bad sound system. I'm trying to do the same with my brother-in-law but he's putting up a good fight...

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#72529 12/19/04 05:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I sent another email to one of their more direct email addresses and received a reply back pretty quickly. (and a heck of a good offer on some MZero's)

I'll let you know if I take them up on their offer.

#72530 12/19/04 05:34 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Anyone know if either of those speakers are well shielded (ie tested against a CRT TV?)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#72531 12/19/04 07:03 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

they will get unhappy if you run them "large"

i am running them "small", with the crossover at 100Hz. i never really got the chance to 'open' them up, cause my wife was home all day, and her and the baby dont like it when i do that. so, maybe today.

another thing i noticed about these speakers that i forgot to mention, is their sound stage. when sitting directly in front of the speaker(about 5 ft back), and the speakers at ear level, the soundstage seemed very wide. my ears had the impression that the sound was coming from the extreme right and left, when the speakers were actually directly in front of me. and strangely enough, the sound stage covered well from the floor up. i actually thought at times, that it sounded like my center channel was on, but it wasnt. the sound just seemed to be emitting from above me, almost. it was kinda cool.

anyway, sorry to ramble. i am just still surprised, and extremely impressed from what i am hearing from these little troopers.

KEN- here is the link for the M1ti's. it says that they ARE video shielded, but i have no idea if its "heavy" enough to protect against a CRT screen? when looking at the link for the M0ti, it does not specify if it is shielded..

bigjohn

#72532 12/21/04 10:47 AM
Ned Offline
veteran
veteran
Your Sister should appreciate your help immensely!

Axiom Denon Paradigm SVS

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters