Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How about the best dvd's for sound and quality?
#72976 01/16/05 05:13 PM
devotee
devotee
I too am a huge fan of the Dan's Two against... I'm still waiting for my SV150 and EP350 to arrive before putting it on with the Qs8's and M60's, but I am sure it will sound great.
A couple other's that I think have really good sound are;
The Who; Live at Royal Albert Hall- from before John died- these guys really have no right to sound and play this good after all these years!
Pete Townshend; Music from Lifehouse
The Stones; Four Flicks- again, after all these years? And These guys are closer to my parent's age than mine! Even if you do not like the music, you have to respect the level of playing at this stage of their careers.
Talking Heads; Stop Making Sense- A Monster. Reminds me what had us driving down to that seedy theater in the Village every Saturday night for the midnight showing, over and over and over again.
and a new REM one that I cannot remember the name of right now. Something about a Circle or Square...
The 1st Bonnaroo sounds pretty good too. Have not seen a second. Is it out there?
And, the other one that I think is just great is the bonus DVD included with the new Sessions for Mr. Johnson by Clapton. Really, Really, Great Sound. Even my sweetie had to sit up and take notice when I put this one in.
I have not heard the Crossroads thing that is out, mostly because I shy away from the whole "Guest Player's" kind of thing. Too much Weenie Wagging for me... Would rather hear what comes out of one solid, well-rehearsed band, than a bunch of guys just sort of thrown together. Never really thought the Last Waltz was all that good, even though I am a massive (Top 5 All Time) fan of the Rock of Ages disc (THANK GOD They finally got around to remastering that Gem!)
Cannot, no matter how many times I try, wrap my ears and eyes around the Closing of Winterland by the Dead. I spent 10+ years back in the 70's and 80's (Got out of that gig when all the "Grey" Heads came on board...That and watching the band let Brent kill himself with the H really turned me off...) standing in the 10th row at Dead shows, and for some reason, now it all sounds like a train wreak. (A buddy of mine says that is because all of the THC has finally left my system!) That one gets great reviews by all of the Dead Heads out there, but to me it is not synched very well, and Garcia seems terribly intent on playing to a different rhythm section than the one I hear.
I would love to hear what others have to say about some of the Miles that is out there on DVD. Especially the electric stuff.
Is any of the Hendrix that is out there worth anything? I guess I am leery of the older stuff that is surfacing and being released on DVD. The one older one that I bought, just because I am such a Townshend/Who fan is the Live at the Isle of Wright show. Sounded OK, Very good for it's age, and I think Pete did a fantastic job of synching the sound and video, but the full version of the Leeds show is just so much better of a performance from that era that I have trouble with the playing. Hell, they went on at 3:00AM after god knows how much bombage backstage.
Anyone here know of a good site out there to wander around looking at all of the stuff that is out there as far as music on DVDs?
TjB

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
Re: How about the best dvd's for sound and quality?
#72977 01/17/05 02:36 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sure, TJ, should be enough here to keep you busy.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082