Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Diana Krall DVD in stereo
#73604 12/26/04 04:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
edvacdude
I just purchased a cd, dvd combo by Eric Clapton called "Sessions for Robert J". If you like old delta blues I highly recomend this cd/dvd.
I thought I was just buying a cd, but was pleasantly surprised, to find it also included a dvd of Eric Clapton doing Robert Johnson tunes in one of the locations they were originally recorded. It also has many insights on how the music was originally recorded. None of this dvd is of a concert, but instead, its just Eric Clapton and another guitar player (and sometimes a whole band) just playing accoustic blues in a room with a camera and sound crew. Havent finished watching or listening to the whole thing yet, but what i've seen/heard is great.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#73605 12/26/04 08:25 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Bray

Thanks for the pointer to what looks like a must-purchase. Do you have "Me and Mr. Johnson"? If so, how do the performances compare? Thanks for your input.

-dale

#73606 12/26/04 11:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
UCONN
No, I've started to buy that on several occasions, but for what ever reasons, I never seem to make out of the store with it.
A few of the songs on "Sessions" can be found on the "Unplugged" cd but are arranged completely different; so different its almost hard to tell they're the same song. Eric comments on this on the dvd when talking about Robert Johnson. "Robert J probably had 20or more arrangements for any given song."

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#73607 12/27/04 12:23 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Thanks Bray. Interesting stuff. I've been meaning to pick up Me & Mr. J. for a while but I think I may grab the DVD first.

#73608 01/13/05 02:28 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
joema, ajax:
THANKS for your suggestions in prior posts.

Latest status: I bought the Denon 2900 (thanks to Ray's input ). Build quality is excellent.

Joema: Since I wanted to audition your SACD/DVD Audio recommendations, I bought a copy of Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon SACD, and a SACD recommendation I saw at CNET (Ladysmith Black Mombazo - Raise your spirits Higher). I'm fixing to also buy Hotel California (DVD Audio) and Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (DVD Audio).

Ajax, you convinced me. I finally bought Blue Jeans Cable's 6 channel audio cable (Belden 1505F). The staff at BJC were helpful both on the phone, and through email. I was reviewing more information on Monster Cable's sue-happy tactics. I typically don't like to choose between companies on this basis (take Microsoft, aren't they predatory, but I still use Windows ), but if they sued a used clothing firm because they used "Monster" that's too much

Thanks again guys.
Ananth

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

#73609 01/13/05 02:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Glad to be of service, Ananth.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#73610 01/13/05 06:48 AM
local
local
In reply to:

I bought a copy of Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon SACD, and a SACD recommendation I saw at CNET (Ladysmith Black Mombazo - Raise your spirits Higher). I'm fixing to also buy Hotel California (DVD Audio) and Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (DVD Audio).

When you hear these and get excited, just bear in mind these are the pinnacle of audio engineering. There are many mediocre and poorly-mixed surround albums out there.

There's a complete difference, a total disconnect between the artistic quality vs. the engineering quality of the surround mix.

The artist can be great, the song great, but the surround mix poor, gimmicky, or amateurish.

I won't repeat my above recommendations but after recently buying some more surround albums, I stand by those recommendations.

Well-mixed surround albums are acoustic miracles. Poorly-mixed ones are junk. Fortunately (or unfortunately) our great Axiom speakers make this difference easy to hear.

Let us know your review of the albums you get.

#73611 01/17/05 03:25 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
joema,
Here are my (initial) impressions on Rumors (Fleetwood Mac) and Hotel California (Eagles), both in DVD Audio.

Rumors
My favorite tracks from an acoustic perspective are Chain, and "Never Going Back Again". In chain, there is an instrument played at the beginning (harpiscord?), it sounds so incredibly clear and present that it wowed me. The various guitar sounds on "Never going back again" were clear, immersive and powerful. Great album on DVD audio, glad I bought it I found no difference between the surround tracks and the stereo versions because they are both recorded in 96Khz, 24 bit.

As far as "Hotel California", the surround tracks were great. Especially, "Hotel California" I haven't listened to it as exhaustively as the Rumors album because of a technical issue that drove me nuts as I tried to work it out (unsuccessful) BTW, if you have any insights on this issue, please feel free to comment in the thread, "Hotel California DVD Audio issue with Denon 2900".

BTW, I haven't received my SACD selections yet.

Again, thanks for the recommendations!
Ananth

Last edited by edvacdude; 01/17/05 03:29 AM.

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020