Print Thread
Rate Thread
Adding an EP175 Sub to a 2-Channel System
#7520 12/31/02 05:17 AM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Have never used a separate sub before, but am considering adding an EP175 sub to my 2-channel system. I am currently bi-amping a pair of M60's with a Cambridge Audio integrated (A500) and power (P500) amp.

I believe that I can run the sub out of one of my amp's pre-outs. Will this still allow the M-60's to run full-range when the sub is powered-up, or will the sub take over and limit the low-end response of the 60's? Are there options or better ways to hook up the sub, other than going through the pre-out on the amp? With a sub added to my system, will the low-end still sound balanced, as opposed to coming from a focal point based on the subs location (i.e., corner of the room)?

Appreciate any input/advice/comments.

Cheers.

Joe

Re: Adding an EP175 Sub to a 2-Channel System
#7521 12/31/02 12:25 PM
old hand
old hand
I believe that I can run the sub out of one of my amp's pre-outs.

--

Yes, it's a active subwoofer, as in it has a built in amplifier. Line level input is fine.

--

Will this still allow the M-60's to run full-range when the sub is powered-up, or will the sub take over and limit the low-end response of the 60's?

--

If you hook up the sub from your pre, the towers will still be running full-range.

--

Are there options or better ways to hook up the sub, other than going through the pre-out on the amp?

--

Yes, you can connect the speaker outs into the sub (instead of line level from the pre), then connect your speakers to the sub pre -> sub -> speakers.

Using the sub's XO, you can adjust the frequencies that will be handled by the sub instead of the speakers.

Different, yes. Better, depends.

--

With a sub added to my system, will the low-end still sound balanced, as opposed to coming from a focal point based on the subs location (i.e., corner of the room)?

--

Not supposed to, as the sounds coming out of a sub is not SUPPOSED to be directional; but just as speakers can sound boxy, so can a sub.

As far as if the sub will overwhelm the speakers, well it depends on how you tune/tweak/place them

Re: Adding an EP175 Sub to a 2-Channel System
#7522 12/31/02 04:56 PM
Joe90 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the info OGS20...much appreciated!

Joe

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters