Print Thread
Rate Thread
A Small Tube Amplifier
#7656 01/04/03 08:15 AM
anno_k Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
hello, I am shopping for a new speaker system and am thinking the Axiom M60ti would be a good choice. It is just in my price range, and it claims it is usable down to 10W. Being that the Warfedale Pacific Evolution series is good to 20W/channel (and I hear not very well at 20W) and my amplifier is only 12W/channel, I am forced to begin looking into other brands. So now my question, will it preform well at ten watts or will it mearly "get by"? Will it's bass response or imaging suffer at such a low input? Will I have to crank my amplifier (and risk distortion) to get a "listening" volume out of it?

Obviously I don't expect a 12 watt/channel amplifier to be super loud, I don't have parties with lots of loud music. I love my pretty little grommes amplifier and for what I payed for it it does very, very well just not loudly.

But what I do expect from my speakers is soft, warm, though controlled, bass, the bass one would expect from an amplifier of it's type and era (early 1960's), present and forthcomming mids, sparkling highs which are light and airy, and of course accurate sound staging and a flat response.

thanks
-shawn-

Re: A Small Tube Amplifier
#7657 01/04/03 04:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Ano
I have an Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15 DT integrated tube amp, 5 watts per channel in triode and 15 wpc in pentode. I only use the triode mode because it is so much sweeter sounding. I've used this amp with Axiom M3Tis and at 5 wpc the amp had absolutely no problem driving the M3's. I currently use a pair of Michaura M66s which use the same 6.5" (2 each) drivers as the Axioms and the same 0.75" tweeter used in the Meraks. The sound stage is huge, imaging is breathtaking, and the music is sweet. I wouldn't worry about whether your amp can drive a pair of M60s since these speakers are even more efficient than M3Tis.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044