Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Screen question
#77867 01/19/05 03:24 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
When are you getting your Z3? It would be interesting to see how the actual scaling works since I too want to do upconversion of the video, but need to know if it will be at the DVD player end, or the projector. If the projector does that well of a job, then I could get this nice 300+ DVD changer and let the projector do the work, or does the player need DVI or HDMI to allow the projector to upconvert the image?

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#77868 01/19/05 03:30 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
No sure if I could get a large enough screen, but that is interesting. As for getting and keeping waves out, I was talking with a guy from Dazian and he said that they recommend putting grommets in the matterial every 9 inches or so and then using bungie cord matterial to stretch the fabric. He was saying that if you staple it down and ever need to adjust it, you have to unstaple and restaple, which will put extra strain on the matterial and possible cause small rips.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#77869 01/19/05 04:20 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
As far as the Z3, it all depends on my buddy who claims he wants to buy my Z2, I have very low hours on the Z2 and it has had no issues right out of the box. I also plan to build a DIY ceiling mount for whatever projector I end up using. If you read this P.C. article they talk highly about the scaler on the Z3. I've been looking at the upconvert players and read many forums, currently momitsu, bravo, and a few others allow for component upconversion. Most U.S. brands you have to have DVI or HDMI. I believe projector centrals article states you can use a regular DVD player, but turn off the progressive feature and let the Z3 do the scaling, so I like your 300 changer idea...

In regards to Dazian, yep I know what your saying, I'm actually in the process of building a Dazian screen, well as soon as my other basement projects get wrapped up...I purchased off the Ebay Dazian store their PVC Matte White textured non-perf material that they sell to movie theatres. It was a little pricey, about $80 for 54" x 108". Actually when the material arrived it was almost 55" x 120" so I'm planning on building a 2.05:1 screen. It has a little stretch to it, but not a lot like some of the other material Dazian sells on Ebay. I talked to the tech guy also, not very personable, but anyway he talked about the grommet/bungee ties also. I'm not sure I'm going to go that route as you have to double up the material to reinforce it, and with the grommets I'll lose a few inches around the entire perimeter. I purchased some Industrial Strength Velcro from Home Depot, and my plan is to place the adhesive backed velcro around the perimeter on the back side, and attach it to the front of my frame. I will not be using any masking border, as my back wall is going to be either painted black, or I'll hang some black material. This will give the screen a floating in space appearance. The frame is being constructed out of 1" x 1" x 1/8" thick aluminum square tubing I bought at a local steel dealer. It is very light weight and strong....

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082