Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
amp/preamp suggestion, should i get them 1st?
#780 01/09/02 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in my computer room i have the following system:
bose 301 speaker
sansui 8080 receiver
bang ang olufsen beogram x2 turntable

i think, after reading goodsounds review i'm going to try the m3tise's. will i notice a big difference, with my present system from the bose 301, or should i upgrade to a preamp and amp first?
what are recommended preamp/ amp's for the m3tise's. is the sansui 8080 o.k. for now while i try the new speakers?
also i'm looking into a cd player for this system. i've read a lot about the cal dx-2, (used $250) are there any others in this price range i should audition?
thanks

Re: amp/preamp suggestion, should i get them 1st?
#781 01/09/02 10:55 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Certainly the biggest improvement you can make are the speakers. The M3s will work just fine with the Sansui for getting started and you will be very impressed with the difference.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#782 01/11/02 02:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your biggest area for noticable improvement would be to replace the B&O turntable with a higher quality turntable. Your receiver would be next, and then your speakers (Sorry Ian....)

BBIBH

#783 01/11/02 02:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm actually going to replace/upgrade everything. I going to do the turntable last simply because it's fine for the records I'm playing right now. I want a nice turntable and I want to save up for it.
Any integrated amp suggestions?

#784 01/11/02 05:40 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
I am curious to know why you would upgrade in that order. Take another look at the list of existing equipment. Budget concerns aside, I would go speakers, turntable, amplifier.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#785 01/11/02 06:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, the list clearly indicates a poor source, poor amp, and ok speakers (this assumes nothing is broken). The poor source played through the best speakers will not improve the sound, but simply allow you to hear with great clarity how poor the source is. If the budget alows, the source (CD or LP) should be as good a quality as can be purchased. I have several distinct systems, with equipment at all ranges of quality, and by mixing and testing, one thing has been clear - a poor source will not be masked by excellent speakers.

BBIBH

#786 01/11/02 08:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LIke I said I'm going to wait on the turntable and focus on an integrated amp and CD player first. I'm waiting to demo a used AUDIO AERO PRIMA INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER , any one have any knowledge or experience with this integrated amp?

#787 01/11/02 08:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have not heard of this make or model.
Can you provide anything further? What are you looking at? Budget? Features you require?

While your Sansui is in need of being retired, you might think about the CD player before the amp. Conventional flat earth type magazine thinking will tell you to design your system based on speakers 1st, power amp 2nd, and whatever money is left for the CD player. This I find will provide for a very musical system that clearly details how bad the CD player is.

Anyway, best of luck in your "journey" to hifi!

BBIBH

#788 01/12/02 02:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The spec for the integrated amp ($750) are at the bottom.

I'm trying to stay under $2000, hopefully $1500 for the whole system. so if i buy the axiom m3ti, with stands ( total $355), and i stay at a budget of $1500 that leaves $1145 for cd player and pre amp/ amp.
Any suggestion on a cd player. i've been told a decent dvd with a good dac converter 24/96 is a good budget choice.
the only thing about the prima integrated amp is it has no phono input, but i do not mind buying a nice phono pre amp later when i up grade my turntable.
Honestly how mad is the B&O turntable I own. it says beogram x2 on the front and on the back it says type 5833? just curious !

This hybrid integrated amplifier is composed of a 6021W subminiature tube preamplifier and DMOS semiconductor amplifier. This special configuration allows to merge tube softness, texture and soundstage and transistor precision and power. Including 5 line inputs and a tape ouput, this alliance of two technologies will easily convert the incoming signal into soft, fast and detailed music, bringing life in each instrument and voice.

Specifications:

Typical audio performance :

Frequency range : 7 Hz - 50 kHz (-1dB)
Output power : 50 W / 8 ohms
Rise time : 2 µs
Signal to noise ratio : 70dB
Total harmonic distortion : < 0,1 %

Power supply :

100 / 120 / 230 / 240 VAC, 50 / 60 Hz selected at factory. Voltage visible at the rear on the fuse drawer.
Power consumption : 40W

General :

Tube : 6021W
Inputs : single-ended RCA
Outputs : isolated and gold plated binding posts
Chassis and cover : 15/10 steel
Weight (each) : 9 kg. / 19.6 lbs.
Dimensions (W x L x H) : 435 x 320 x 95 mm / 17.12 x 12.60 x 3.74 inches

#789 01/12/02 08:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I recently purchased the M22tis, and there is no comparason at all between *anything* bose makes and the Axioms. My family owns the 301's and a "high-end" (yeah right) Bose lyestyle system. Neither of the boses have ANY treble response, and the bookshelfs roll off the bass at about 100 hz. The whole sound is artificial, muddy, dark, and has a strange surround sound effect that is far from neutral.
The axioms are so much bettter in every way, with accurate, detailed sound that no electronics upgrade (you can buy a $30 000 audio note DAC and a $50 000 class A amplifier and it will not make as much difference as the change to axiom)

Look at the reviews at audioreivew for axiom and bose, my comments will be added shortly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters