Rate Thread
Yamaha RX-V750 Setup - Please help
#81360 02/12/05 05:22 AM
C
cjpao Offline OP
OP Offline
C
All,

I am a beginner trying to setup a Yamaha RX-V750 with a Denon DVM-1815 DVD changer and connect TV and cable (no cable box).

This may sound silly, but I cannot figure out where I should be connecting the coaxial cable to? In the previous setup there was a DVD/VCR that had a coax cable connect that I plugged into and then ran a/v outputs to the receiver. I want to swap this older DVD/VCR with the new changer but the new changer does not have any input options. The Yamaha 750 does not seem to have a place to plug in the coax cable signal into either. There are digital inputs but they seem to be different types of jacks.

The TV is older and only has cable/ant jack, one S-Video input option and the standard RCA audio and video input jacks. It only has audio output.

I think I could just connect cable directly to TV and the audio out to the receiver but not sure this is the right way to do this. Should I be looking for a converter that will allow me to plug the cable directly into the receiver?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Yamaha RX-V750 Setup - Please help
#81361 02/12/05 06:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You've got it right. If your TV is mono (which I imagine it is since only one audio out) then connecting the cable directly to the TV will work fine.

The catch is that you will need to switch between DVD and cable TV by selecting "TV" or "Video" using the TV remote, and switching from "DVD" to whatever audio inputs on the receiver you have connected to audio out from the TV.

I'm not sure if the modern converter boxes have video outputs as well as RF connectors -- if they do then picking up a converter at some point is probably worth it for convenience. The main benefits are :

- sounds like your TV may be mono (not sure), imagine the convertor would be stereo

- depending on age of your TV it may not be able to tune all cable channels

- switching from TV to DVD would be one click on the receiver remote, no need to switch on the TV as well

Anyways, get it running by hooking up as you suggested then look at convertors at your leisure.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082