Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Soliloquy 6.5 Speakers
#81742 02/16/05 02:22 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I have a chance to buy a demo pair of these for 2,200. has anyone heard these and what is your opinion? I know they are a considerable jump in proce from the axioms but would like to know what you think.

Re: Soliloquy 6.5 Speakers
#81743 02/16/05 09:54 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
This Sounstage Review makes them sound pretty sweet! Apparently their only drawback is a slight weakness in resolving microdynamics (somthing Axiom speakers excel at).

Enjoy the Music has also reviewed them very favorably. They are gorgeous speakers.

#81744 02/17/05 03:42 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I did listen to the Soliloquy 6.5 Speakers yesterday and all I have to say is WOW. They were truly amazing. The base was insane and the overall sound was excellent. I have two concerns.
1) They are BIG. Don't think you can appreciate their size until you see them.

2) Limited budget, I can afford these speakers but not much else. Where I can buy the 60's, VP150, QS8's for less than this pair.

I just have the opportunity to buy some really hi-end stuff and thought I should jump at the chance. It's not often you can buy a pair of $6,000 speakers for $2,200 (1 1/2 years old).

Could you also explain the concept of resovling microdynamics and why this is important and how Axiom excels in this? Let me know your thoughts.

#81745 02/17/05 04:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
14falcon,

I've not heard the Soliloquy 6.5 speakers, however, I do have many years of doing National Research Council listening tests and interpretation of the anechoic frequency response curves on various brands and models of speakers. These NRC curves have a very high predictive correlation with the sound of the speaker in typical listening rooms.

Based on Soundstage's NRC measurements of the Soliloquy, there is a pronounced and consistent dip in midrange response (up to 5 dB, which would be very audible) from 1.5 kHz through to 4 or 5 kHz in the crucial midrange (look at the Listening Window curves). Compared to speakers that are more linear through the midrange--like the Axiom M22ti's, M60ti's, and M80ti's--I suspect the Soliloquys would not have nearly the midrange detail and clarity. Indeed, I suspect they would be rather dull-sounding on immediate A/B comparisons.

"not resolving micro-dynamics" is one of those fancy-schmantzy Stereophile phrases that to me mean a midrange dip, with a consequent lack of clarity and detail.

The Soliloquys do have extremely low harmonic distortion and excellent deep bass output, but in my view that isn't sufficient compensation for its non-linear midrange output. Most instrumental and vocal content resides in the midrange, and if the speakers lacks linearity there, it will suffer in side by side comparisons with speakers that have smoother and more linear midrange response.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#81746 02/17/05 04:27 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm sure the Soliloquy's handle microdynamics just fine. Every review has to have some kind of negative so as to add credibility as a reviewer that said product is not perfect. It quite possibly could have been that the reviewer just wasn't particularly "impressed" with the Soliloquy's microdynamics as he was with the mid-range and bass. I would bet that they microdynamics are fine on that speaker. And your deal sounds excellent. If I were in your shoes, I'd be awfully tempted...

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044