Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M3ti vs Monitor Audio Silver S2 vs Boston VRM50
#82702 02/24/05 09:37 AM
barok Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I have heard both the S2s and the VRM50s, and intend to audition the M3s soon, but i'd like to get an idea how they sound compared to the other two. I'm not concerned on price vs. value, just the sonic qualities. So if anyone has ever had the chance to compare the M3s to either or both, I'd like to hear your comments.

I like the S2 better than the VRM50. The VRM50 if I remember goes deeper but I find that on the higher notes it's too harsh and there's some sibilance that I didn't find as much in the S2.

Re: M3ti vs Monitor Audio Silver S2 vs Boston VRM50
#82703 02/24/05 02:00 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have a friend with a complete boston acoustics HT set-up, and i was very unimpressed with it. he has the floor standing models, and i have no idea of the model number, but i know he got them in the last 2 years or so. the whole system sounded very muddy and almost muffled. the highs were not defined at all, and the mids and bass just seemed to be squeezed into one dull sounding mono-tone. the sub was the worse.. it sounded like it was sitting in an echo chamber or something.

i cant say anything about the shelf speakers you are looking at, but just as a whole, i think the boston acoustice are highly over-rated after my listening session.

just my opinion.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: M3ti vs Monitor Audio Silver S2 vs Boston VRM5
#82704 02/24/05 03:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
barok,
I have not heard the M3 or the Silver2s but i have heard the Silver 8s and 6s and i own the Axiom M60s.
If you think any detailed information i have would help you, send me a PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: M3ti vs Monitor Audio Silver S2 vs Boston VRM50
#82705 02/24/05 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I did a pretty thorough in-home demo with the M3, the MA Bronze 2, and some JBL E30s.
The JBLs were pretty bad in comparison to the other two. The Monitor Audios went deeper than the Axioms (the S2s will go even deeper judging by my in-store comparison of the B2 and S2) and they had a little softer more forgiving tweeter. But the B2s also have a little boxiness and kind of a nasal, resonant midrange.
The M3s, of course, were detailed, open and transparent, but lacking in bass in comparison. Mids were much better. Highs could be a little fatiguing on poorly mastered/recorded material.
In the end I kept the MA Bronze 2s for a number of reasons: they are in a "hard" secondary listening room (just a drywalled square), no sub being used, I ordered the M3s in the wrong finish for my decor, and because I have a roomful of Axiom speakers downstairs already. I'm pretty sure I could have been just as happy with the M3s (and saved a few bucks, too), but in your case I don't think the M3s vs the Monitor Audio S2s is a fair comparison. The price difference is considerable, eh?
And I'll second bigjohn's opinion of Boston Acoustics - ick!

#82706 02/24/05 06:15 PM
barok Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Honestly I think I would agree with the comment on the Bostons. I had expected better but when I heard them the first time I was put off by the harshness of its highs. I was impressed by how deep it goes for a such a small bookshelf but on the overall of it I didn't like it.
In reply to:

but in your case I don't think the M3s vs the Monitor Audio S2s is a fair comparison. The price difference is considerable, eh?

I sort of didn't get what this mean really (sorry). Assuming the S2 will sell for the same price as the M3, or just maybe take price totally out of the equation and just consider the sonic qualities of both, how do they compare to each other? I do like the B2s, and like the S2s even better. But I'm still very inexperienced as to trying to identify what nasal, bright, or warm sound is. And that's why I'm trying to get an idea. The only thing that I know is what sounds harsh to me. The VRM50 is, but Klipsch is worse (I have a pair of KG1.5). No offense meant to owners of those brands, but my ears just don't like em.
I never felt MAs are harsh at all.
So what about the M3 vs. S2 (pls. disregard price/value).

#82707 02/24/05 06:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
While speaker preference is highly subjective, I think most people would think the Silver 2 is a better sounding speaker.
I liked it alot but wasn't going to pay $500-700 for bookshelf speakers when one can buy excellent tower speakers for that price.
If price is not a concern, why not buy them all?

#82708 02/24/05 07:29 PM
barok Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
In reply to:

I liked it alot but wasn't going to pay $500-700 for bookshelf speakers when one can buy excellent tower speakers for that price. If price is not a concern, why not buy them all?

I wish price isn't a concern, but it is. However, since both speakers is within my budget, I thought I'd consider the sound first before the price. I just wanted to get an idea where the S2 and M3 stand in terms of sound quality. Then I'll weigh in the price as soon as I decide which sounds better to me.
I can't go with towers at the moment and somewhat limited to bookshelves due to placement issues and I have kids that I'm sure will just topple them over (or scribble over the nice finish with permanent markers, scrape them with their toys--oh the list can go on ).

Any idea how much it will cost to send the M3s back (shipping/brokerage fees)- in the peculiar event that I'd prefer another brand despite the M3's very good price? I'm in California, (bay area)

#82709 02/24/05 07:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
On the cost to send back, email Axiom. I did when I sent my vp100 back for a vpn150 instead (from San Francisco). They gave me an estimate (sent via USPS) that was pretty on the mark. I don't recall how much I paid, but it was not enough to make me regret sending back the speaker.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#82710 02/24/05 09:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It was $26 from soCal for the pair of M3s I sent back. I definitely think it was worth it to be able to audition them in home. At their price point I didn't hear any speakers that were better.
Good luck.

#82711 02/24/05 09:19 PM
barok Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
James & Will
Thanks!
I just didn't want any surprises (well, unpleasant ones at least). I also e-mailed axiom, but it looks like it's not going to be a big deal! (My issue here was if I do choose the S2s which are already more expensive than the M3s and add to that the cost of returning the M3s it can make auditioning both prohibitive. Fortunately/Gladly.. it doesn't seem so!)
I can just think of it as a week's worth of gas for my hungry SUV. / don't know if it's funny or pathetic

Last edited by barok; 02/24/05 09:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters