Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I hit "submit"
#83421 02/28/05 09:42 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
There.

I've been in almost constant contact with Amie (and more recently, Brent) at Axiom since November 2004. They are nothing but wonderful, helpful people.

I read every review of loudspeaker systems in the 2-3k range I could find. I dragged my wife to more audio equipment stores than I've been to scrapbooking stores (well, ok...that might be a stretch. But that was my argument, and she went with it).

I've exchanged emails with Clint from Audioholics, and I've auditioned Paradigms and Infinity Betas and some other speakers that I'm less likely to admit to having heard.

When I finished the basement, I placed 12 AWG speaker wires in the wall, made sure that the wires didn't run within 6" of any power lines, and terminated them with nifty little binding posts that are keystoned right into what looks like an outlet (looks sharp, if I do say so myself).

I like to believe I've done my homework.

After completing my tax return (yay, I don't owe), I placed the order for the M60ti pair, QS8 pair, VP150 center, EP175 sub. In black/black (wife's rule, all electronic equipment is black, even if the speakers are the same size as a bookshelf).

I just wanted to share my joy with people who would understand.

/** Not UBBCode Compatable */ while (lon != audiophile) { you.educate(lon); }
Re: I hit "submit"
#83422 02/28/05 09:55 PM
devotee
devotee
Let me be the first to say "Welcome"!
Love the idea of terminating the wires at the wall with binding posts! Brilliant.
Get ready to start doing the Happy Dance on Wed!
;-)

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#83423 02/28/05 09:56 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
you must be doing something wrong... i got out of going to scrapbook stores about 2 years ago.

sounds like a great system you are building there. what kind of receiver are you going to push it with? those 60's can take plenty of wattage and keep asking for more.

congrats on your order, and hope the system is everything you hope it will be. i have confidence it will. BTW- just for $hits and giggles, make sure and have your wife scrapbook a page for "THE DAY MY AXIOMS ARRIVED". at least she will feel more involved that way!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#83424 02/28/05 09:59 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Congrulations. I hope you get out as much as you put in (I think you will, but am an axiom owner and very biased!).

Impressions/pics to follow?

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#83425 02/28/05 10:02 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I was just informed that my speakers should arrive Thursday. My wife is going out of town for the weekend (scrapbooking retreat).

I think the boy and I are going to be watching "Monsters, Inc" and "Finding Nemo" in surround sound! (and probably Dora and some Thomas the Tank Engine, too)

Oh, for a receiver, I bought a Denon 3805 from Ultimate Electronics during their Presidents' Day sale.

Hey, a scrapbook page...that's a great idea for involving the spousal unit. I'll have to make sure we get a lot of pictures. Like I said, she'll be out of town, so...I'll have to get some of my 'scrapbook widower' friends over for a setup party. After I get some pics, I'll see if I can't find a place to post them.

/** Not UBBCode Compatable */ while (lon != audiophile) { you.educate(lon); }
#83426 02/28/05 10:14 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
the 3805 is a great unit.. it will power that system with no problems what-so-ever.

'monsters inc' and 'finding nemo' are great movies on a good HT system. in fact, most of those animated features have great sound effects in them. plus, the darla scene in nemo will give you a great idea of the performance of your sub. when she is tapping on the fish tank, it will feel like god is tapping you on the brain. get ready for the rumble. and in monsters inc when they are riding the doors on the conveyor belt, the surrounds will really be working.

i see you are a scrappers husband also. ? my wife wont start doing retreats til the summer, but she will definitely go. but, i think its agreat hobby, and she is doing a great job of preserving our families history. i say, more power to her!!

EDIT- you can use photobucket.com to host your pics. just upload them from your computer, then you can use these instructions to help you get them on the site.. good luck!!

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 02/28/05 10:24 PM.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#83427 02/28/05 10:16 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I dragged my wife to more audio equipment stores than I've been to scrapbooking stores

Now either this is just "blue car syndrome" (where until you buy a blue car you never notice every second car on the road is blue)... but this scrapbooking thing, I knew there were a few people doing this... but since we've been innundated by women running scrapbooking layout businesses about our free fonts, it seems I see it everywhere I look.

At least all these scrapbooking women have been very polite and educated, don't mind so much getting emails from them.

Bren R.

#83428 02/28/05 10:52 PM
devotee
devotee
"scrapbooking"
Is this just what it sounds like? Or am I missing something?
There is a sub-culture of people out there who just make scrapbooks? Don't they run out of stuff to put in them after a while?

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#83429 03/01/05 12:45 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Welcome LonKelley, It’s good to have fellow coders around... I’m now mainly working with .NET C# ; yes the enemy

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#83430 03/01/05 05:43 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Don't they run out of stuff to put in them after a while?

No, they just drop the minimum requirement for how cool something needs to be to be scrapbooked I think...

Baby's First Steps - I can see being a good page...
John Gets A Coil Pack From The Auto Salvage - not so much...

Course this means we'll have a whole generation of babies growing up with their pictures mutilated into flower and heart shapes.

Bad enough I grew up in the 126 cartridge era... all my young days are captured in square prints, usually taken at a 45 degree cant. Those a few years younger in the 110/disc era have prints that are barely recognizable at any size larger than 3.5x5, then guys like Jack and Ray - they have to up and fly to the cave where their youth pictures were painted on walls using berry mush and animal blood with a chewed stick and bone marrow.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,353 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup