Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Aftermarket Rubber Feet For Floorstanders
#84415 03/09/05 04:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Niece is correct. I'm not worried about her. She can handle herself. I'm very proud of her. She works for Texas Instruments (get this! ) designing computer chips. Not "building" chips, but DESIGNING them. She has told me what she does a number of times, but she speaks in a language I can't understand (I know it ain't English), so I just smile and nod my head like I know what she means. DUH!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#84416 03/09/05 07:08 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Woohoo... does this mean we'll see a new Texas Instruments home computer? the TI-99/4B?

Bren R.

#84417 03/09/05 02:55 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

have them delivered

what speakers did you decide to go with? 60's are nice, but the bookshelves will work fine in a small space with a good sub. so can we expect a visit to the metroplex from jack to help you with set-up? or, if you think you need any help, i reckon we could find some guys up there willing to assist.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#84418 03/09/05 04:14 PM
buff
buff
> Any niece (it is niece, right? Name like
> Beth? Not one of those Boy Named Sue
> things right?) of Jack's is a friend
> of mine...

Heh. You got quite a giggle out of me there! Not anything like a "Boy named Sue". Uncle Jack's the best

> Welcome aboard.

Thanks,

> Guys, on your best behav... who am I kidding...

Yah. Right. Think I haven't been swarming all over this forum the last few day checking things out? It's =ALL= in the archives! ;}

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.
#84419 03/09/05 04:23 PM
buff
buff
Jack writes:
> I'm very proud of her.

<Blushes>

> She works for Texas Instruments (get this!)
> designing computer chips. Not "building"
> chips, but DESIGNING them. She has told me
> what she does a number of times, but she
> speaks in a language I can't understand
> (I know it ain't English), so I just smile>
> and nod my head like I know what she means.

Long and short of it is that I write programs that describe the hardware inside a chip using an odd computer language specifically designed for that purpose. Then run these programs on a computer to see if it behaves like we expect it to. After a BUNCH of bug fixes we send the program to the factory where a chip gets built. We are REALLY careful about testing on the compputers before building the chip because once it's built it can't be patched or upgraded like software, and you can't deliver a new one by sending it over the web.

Right now I'm working on PCI-Express, wihch will eventually be replacing the PCI and Cardbus slots in your computers. I've already seen PCI-Express Graphics Cards for sale at the local computer stores. In another few years, prettty much everything will probably be moving over to PCI-Express. It's many times faster than PCI and uses a lot fewer connections.

Did I get it in English this time? I really do keep trying.

Bren R. writes:
> Woohoo... does this mean we'll see a new
> Texas Instruments home computer? the TI-99/4B?

No, but It's a good bet you've got some TI chips in the computer you're using right now... especially if it's got a USB or Firewire port.

#84420 03/09/05 04:37 PM
buff
buff
bigjohn writes:

> what speakers did you decide to go with?
M60ti, VP100, QS8. I still need to get a sub, but that's later. I'll use the toy sub that comes with my receiver until then.

> work fine in a small space
The room is 20' X 20' with a 10' ceiling and there are 2' beveled corners between the ceiling and walls. Probably not what you'd consider a "small space"

> so can we expect a visit to the metroplex from jack

Alas, no. There's a good reason he's in Cleveland and someday when he can come for a visit, I'll be very sad. It brings a tear to my eye even now to think of it. But I visit him as often as I can, and that hasn't been as often as I like, but it will be annually now that I have a specific reason to be in Ohio every year.

> if you think you need any help, i reckon we could
> find some guys up there willing to assist.

Thanks for the offer! I doubt I'll need any help with the initial install and connect. Once I re-configure the room to a better orientation (BIG job!) for ceiling mounting the video projector and replace the sub with a real one, I'll need to calibrate everything. Don't know how to do that, yet. I'll be paying attention on these forums to learn a bit more about that. Perhaps if I don't learn what I need to know by the time I come to that, I may have an opportunity to take you up on your offer.

And back to the topic... do the M60ti's come with spikes, rubber feet, or just what, exactly? They'll be going on carpet. I have teenagers. They're tall and I'm wondering if they'll be at all tippy without the spikes.

#84421 03/09/05 04:39 PM
veteran
veteran
Are you personally responsible for the DLP chip? Those things are amazing...

#84422 03/09/05 04:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite

I told ya she doesn't speak English when she talks about her job.

The M60s will come with both spikes and rubber feet. The spikes are kinda small, though. If you find them TOO small, you might look into the aftermarket spikes I linked to earlier in this thread.

The tricky part of aftermarket spikes is you must ensure that the threaded shaft of the spikes will properly fit the threaded hole in the M60s. Diameter and thread count are what's important, I think. But, experiment with the enclosed spikes first to see if they'll suffice.

Most importantly tell those teenagers that GREAT uncle Jack (emphasis on the "great" ) says to learn to behave around ALL of this expensive, quality equipment. Toys it ain't!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#84423 03/09/05 04:55 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
the 60's come with spikes and rubber feet, and you can interchange them to whatever conditions you have. or, you can just plop them straight on the floor, its up to you. i use the spikes and i have a medium thickness carpet.

they can be a little "tippy" with the spikes, but not overly so. if you give them a real solid nudge, they will rock a little, but i think they would still do it with the rubber feet, or directly on the floor. i think thats one of those deals you will just have to decide once you get them in your house.

good luck..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#84424 03/09/05 05:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome Beth! (woohoo another Texan)
If you run into any problems at all be sure and let me know. I would be tickled to help Jacks niece. I'm in Rowlett so I know you cant be too far away.
BTW: do you work at the plant at 635 and 75?
I have aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends that work there.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082