OT- A Bugs Life THX opening
#85334 03/15/05 04:30 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
my wife bought the new collectors edition of 'A Bugs Life' this weekend, and we watched it last night. shannons sister and her sisters boyfriend, and one of shannons college girlfrinds are staying with us for a few days during spring break, and they wanted to watch a movie. so i put in 'bugs life', and once again, was really blown away by the surrounds in this movie.

it starts with the opening THX demo, but it is different than anyone i have seen before. pretty neat, with even better effects than the cows on nemo. the movie itself, great sound effects. the ambient noise coming from the bushes/trees/wind/crickets/birds/etc. you just feel like you are in a forest. and the QS8's really get some work in the scenes where the 'bugs' are flying around the TV screen. i almost went to get a fly-swatter. very impressive, definitely a movie to use as a demo.

everyone was impressed and surprised by the difference a good HT makes. shannons college friend even said she has watched this movie several times with her nieces, but the HT really added a new element. she said the grasshoppers were even MORE scary. thats what i am talkin about!!

anyway, just thought i would share. its always cool when you get to see the faces light up of people that havent heard a good HT before. sometimes i get so used to it, i forget just how awesome it is..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: OT- A Bugs Life THX opening
#85335 03/15/05 05:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Is this the one with the bugs that act like they are riding motorcycles (they have helmets and so forth) and they fly through the weeds/grass, and turn into a glowing THX logo with a couple of them getting flung at the screen?

If so, I saw that on a DTS Demo DVD set I bought on eBay (not the DTS DVDs from DTS themselves, but a collection of THX, DD, DTS trailers, and movie trailers)...

Pretty cool.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#85336 03/15/05 06:08 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

they are riding motorcycles

actually, no.. its not that at all.. but, i have never seen the one you are talking about, so now i am interested in that

the one on bugs life, does the normal THX orchestrial build-up, but then it like stalls, and skips like a bad cd.. then the little flying robot comes out to fix it, and he bangs on it a few times, then flies off into the right suround and bangs a hammer, then flies into the left surround, and uses a power drill, then flies back to the front and kicks it off again. ending with the same large cresendo of THX glory..

i think it would be almost cool to have all of these THX pre-movie demos for show purposes. they always make everyone in the room smile!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#85337 03/15/05 06:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The "Sound and Vision" disc has a few THX and (i think) 6 DTS demos.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#85338 03/15/05 07:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ahhh, Tex the Robot.... Gotta love that one.

The demo DVDs I got on eBay are quite good and seem to have all of the current trailers on them for the audio companies. I paid something like $35 for it, but the discs themselves are not-copyrighted. Not sure if there is a legal issue there or not. Basically, some guy collected all of these (in VERY high quality video and audio) and put them on 2 DVDs with a nice menu system.

Not sure if they are still for sale or not (they just look like home-burned sets which seems like an easy money maker, but the particular seller seems to be selling DVDs full of movie trailers now), and I have verified that they are easy to backup myself (in case one gets scratched, I don't want to drop another $35)...

Anyway, I looked under Definitive DTS Demo DVD and didn't see anything today. Checked the seller and they haven't sold one in a while (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hometheatersignsanddemos&frm=1728)

It has all of the DD, DTS, THX trailers that I can think of.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#85339 03/15/05 07:14 PM
devotee
devotee
The S&V HTTU disc has all the DD demos, one from DTS, and the THX Calvacade in three different aspect ratio's.

I like the THX opening you are refering to John, but I my favorite is still the one before Speed. That one was put on alot of LD's.

#85340 03/15/05 07:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
DTS puts out a new demo disc every year for CES.

I have #8 which has scenes and musci from:
DTS Logo
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Marshes (DTS-ES 6.1 discrete)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Deeping Wall (DTS-ES 6.1 discrete)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - Storm (DTS-ES matrix)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - Battle (DTS-ES matrix)
X2
Daredevil
Gangs of New York
Casper
Chicago
Medeski Martin and Wood: Uninvisible (Music Video) (DTS-ES 6.1 discrete)
Heart: Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters (Music Video)

I am getting disc #9 (I have a friend that works for DTS) which has:
HERO / BLUE ROOM (dts)
HERO / ARROWS (dts)
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (dts)
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)
I, ROBOT (dts)
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW (dts)
KILL BILL VOLUME 1 (dts)
KILL BILL VOLUME 2 (dts)
GHOST IN THE SHELL: INNOCENCE (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)
BLUE MAN GROUP / SING ALONG (dts 96/24)
THE CRYSTAL METHOD / BORN TOO SLOW (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)
SIMPLE MINDS / ALIVE AND KICKING (dts 96/24)
THE POLYPHONIC SPREE / HOLD ME NOW (dts)
PORCUPINE TREE / SOUND OF MUZAK (dts)
LTJ BUKEM / UNCONDITIONAL LOVE (dts-es 6.1 Discrete)
SWEDISH RADIO / THE RUN (dts)

#85341 03/15/05 08:22 PM
shareholder in the making
John:
That opening sounds familiar, but I've never seen "A Bug's Life" on DVD. It sounds to me like the same one at the beginning of Toy Story or Toy Story 2... and considering Pixar did all of those......

Yes, I own the Toy Story Collector's Edition Boxed Set. And I don't have kids!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#85342 03/15/05 08:38 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

That opening sounds familiar, but I've never seen "A Bug's Life" on DVD. It sounds to me like the same one at the beginning of Toy Story or Toy Story 2... and considering Pixar did all of those......

I was thinking the same thing... I know I've seen that opening on my own HT but I also can't think of any Pixar movies I would have seen here except "Nemo" (with the significant other's little sister)

Bren R.

#85343 03/15/05 08:50 PM
Did you guys EVER go to the movies in the mid-90s? That intro was ALL over the the theatres. Probably half of the movies I saw during that time had that intro....

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (spiroh), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup