Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Odyssey amp with m80s
#8605 04/29/03 09:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Do you have any trouble seeing the interface cues on the TV. PC text can be a little weird with this sort of thing and the actual control elements can be hard to work with, or at least I expect them to be. It doesn't sound like you have much trouble with that though, which is enouraging.

Do you mean the interface to change the settings:
volume
channel
input
picture stuff (mostly adjusted once in the beggining so not need to control)
channel numbers
mute
last channel return
PIP - none existant in my TV card

The commands above can be mimicked via a keyboard so I bought a infrared keyboard/mouse. I put my infrared keyboard port against my Rotel learning remote port and transfered all the keystrokes to the learning remote. So now the PC does not meed a keyboard or mouse. All function can be done on the Rotel learning remote. The remote controls the Rotel, WinDVD, WinDVR, the Toshiba DVD, CAE Kareoke player, Marantz SE68 CD player.
When it comes to serfing which is connect on demand since I do not want to HTPC to auto update. Keeping the connection down until needed keeps it from having any further software issues or if someone has nothing better to do than to DOS attack me.

In reply to:

I would also be leary of that PSU, especially if you go with a P4 or something similar. 300W is even getting to the point of not quite being enough, depending on what hardware you have installed. The power consumption of these computers is getting to be absurd.

Point taken. I might need to ditch the small box method and go with a Mini-ATX factor. With that I can use the standard 450w+ silent power suplies. Some of the newer boards will be using Dual channel DDR(proposed increased speeds). Some new GForce cards even take up 2 slots and is supossedly HDTV ready mpeg2 decoding. Since it will natively support HDTV no need for Powerstrip for HD resolutions(maybe).

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/vga/vga_detail.asp?model=FX5800_Ultra-TD

Saturn

#8606 04/29/03 09:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I suppose as long as you don't have a problem and need to interact directly with Windows that would indeed be sufficient. I supose I'm more concerned with having to work on the desktop but it sounds like you minimize that sort of activity.

In reply to:

Some new GForce cards even take up 2 slots and is supossedly HDTV ready mpeg2 decoding. Since it will natively support HDTV no need for Powerstrip for HD resolutions(maybe).

That card is an abortion and won't actually make it to many stores. They only made a few before the enthusiast sites so thoroughly trashed it that nVidia gave up on the card. They're basically going to push right past to the next revision of their chip, the NV35.

If you want stellar MPEG decoding, get the ATi cards. They also have some post process filtering that result in a better picture. As to the need for powerstrip, check the supported resolutions of that card. Not a single one of them are HDTV resolutions so you'd still need powerstrip, unfortunately.

None of this stuff is really perfect yet...

#8607 04/30/03 01:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am myself waiting for the NV35. I noticed only ATI is partnering there fast GPU with a built in TV tuner. ASUS video used to do it a couple of years ago but may have stopped doing so.
I think DSCALER does not list any All-in-Wonders as a supported cards.
So would it be better to just partner a fast card that has the GForce GPU or an ATI GPU and have another card as a TV tuner? Or are the latest ATI All-in-Wonder card supported by DSCALER?

#8608 04/30/03 01:25 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I am myself waiting for the NV35.

You'll be waiting for quite a while...

In reply to:

I think DSCALER does not list any All-in-Wonders as a supported cards.

There are lots of people using AIW's with DScaler on Ars so it's probably just a lack of Dscaler updating their site.

In reply to:

So would it be better to just partner a fast card that has the GForce GPU or an ATI GPU and have another card as a TV tuner?

Personally, I believe so simply because your upgrade path is cleaner. The chances of you needing a new capture card in the near future are remote, but you may wish to upgrade your video card significantly quicker depending on how you use the computer.

In reply to:

Or are the latest ATI All-in-Wonder card supported by DSCALER?

Like I said, I believe they are.

I actually just bought a 9700 pro (non AIW) this weekend!

#8609 05/03/03 12:53 PM
prz Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
semi, so of course I couldn't let it be and went for reading on the jitter issue. The best description why all the professional gear syncs clock and why picoseconds make a difference (funny enough, it's not the timing of the main waveform recovery, it's the fact that he DAC starts to produce sidebands of a frequency when the world clock it's being fed is jittered, the numbers say that those can be heard (signal/noise ratio) in single nsecs for 16bit and in low psecs for 20bit conversions) I found in Harley's excellent book, appendix C. Before you cry bloody murder immediately, the assumption/fact there is that the world clock to the DAC _is recovered from the S/PDIF_ so no two independent clocks exist. Why syncing the clocks jitter should help rather than reclocking the signal in front of the DAC I could not find clearly. Me thinks that its seems that DAC components introduce so much clock jitter that it's better to feed the transport the resulting jitter and make sure it delivers the signal jittered in a way the DAC is jittering the world clock already?

So, at this point in time I think the jitter-proponents kind of made their case pretty well since this is logical and their numbers seem about on mark. However, your point that anything in silicon introduces picosecs jitter anyway is also very convienent and therefore all this reclocking in silicon and sending via cables to something else that takes it through silicon again maybe the correct architecture with the execution rendering it pointless again. I start thinking about wasting some money on the issue ;-)

real world's amazing

--- tony

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 715 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup