Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: OT: One crappy weekend
#86525 03/23/05 06:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That was the last concert I saw, except with a few extras.
The line up was Keb Mo, Jackson Brown and Steve Earle.
They opened with an acoustic set of all three playing an insrument.
Steve Earle on guitar, Jackson Brown on a mandolin, and Keb Mo on a banjo. They played "Cocaine Blues" (one of my favorites that Jackson Brown has covered) together and changed up the words a little which made you realize that each one had a battle with it (cocaine) at some point.
It was a GREAT concert.
I hope you enjoy the one your going to.
Sounds like you need it.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#86526 03/23/05 06:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

so whats his issues?

Mostly political. Tips on how to survive the next four years, for example. Personally, I like the guy's music, and I'm really not all that conservative. But there's a difference to me between making a point or expressing your view cleverly (say, oh, I don't know...in a song, perhaps?), and beating me over the head with a baseball bat when I paid good money to be entertained.

Frankly, I couldn't possibly care less what his political views are. I resent being made to feel that I'm somehow less of a person or not entitled to like his music because I don't agree with him on some points. He makes artists like Billy Bragg or Michelle Shocked look positively genial. And I really hate that, because he's tremendously talented. I just don't care to hear it.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#86527 03/23/05 07:04 PM
local
local
John, I can't speak for the man, but in his own words "the last election was all about the war". His last work "The Revolution Starts Now" was an interesting piece of work, he absolutely recorded it "from a soapbox". He's been outspoken on his anti-death penalty stance at the last couple of shows I've seen, but I'm sure this one will see him bashing George W. I haven't been to a club to see a show for almost a year (twins will do that to you), so I don't care if he sings the songs from Mary Poppins - if he and the band perform with his usual intensity, I'm going to have a good time.

Speaking of Billy Bragg-has anyone heard what he's up to lately. He usually passes through the Twin Cities once or twice a year, but we haven't seen him for a while. He's one of my favorite live acts, partly because Ian McLagan plays keyboards for him. I've had a chance to meet Mac a couple of times and he's one of rock and rolls most unique individuals (and also lives in Texas).

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#86528 03/23/05 07:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I just don't care to hear it

fair enough. i have never seen steve, but i would have to say i agree with what you are saying.

i reckon those people that paid $150 bucks a ticket to see U2 this summer are gonna get plenty bored hearing Bono go off every night. they will get a 3 hour show, but too bad 1 hour of it will be Bono ranting about ending the war, or saving the whales, or curing aids. dont get me wrong, i am all about doing whats right, but i dont need his political essays inbetween 'sunday bloody sunday' and 'vertigo'.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#86529 03/23/05 07:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Don't get me started on U2. Friggin' unbelievable band and astonishing guitar player, except for that whole Bono variable.

Q: How many members of U2 does it take to change a light bulb?

A: One. Bono holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

Q: What does Bono use for birth control?

A: His personality.

...Thank you, thank you, you're too kind. I'll be here all week...

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#86530 03/23/05 07:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mike,
That's exactly why I have passed on seeing them on their upcoming tour. A little bit of Bono goes a long way!!!
You get kind of tired of his (Bono) rants during songs. No doubt about it, they are one hell of a band live. Seen them enough to pass on this tour. On a side note, U2 have been hanging out in Vancouver rehearsing for the upcoming tour.

#86531 03/23/05 08:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I guess it all depends on whether or not the artist follows your brand of politics or not.

If I'm watching someone that's really immersed in world politics, I don't mind hearing their point-of-view. On the other hand, those without a real grasp just throwing out whatever they believe (ie: the Toby Keith "Let's hang us anyone that ain't white, yip-raaaht" or the emo-kid "I hate the president... ya ya ya ya" stuff)... keep it to yourselves - it's like watching an Amish man discussing his views on Linux.

Bren R.

#86532 03/23/05 08:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That's a pretty poor stereotype of U2 and Bono. Bono's pretty good about holding in rants nowadays. I saw them 3 times on the last tour, and never got anything approaching a rant. He'd say a couple sentences here and there, but it wasn't anything close to soapbox stuff. Actually, now that he's so politically involved with Africa relief and all that, he can't afford to go off on rants like he did before - he'll lose the support he's gained from conservative politicians.

#86533 03/23/05 08:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

poor stereotype of U2 and Bono

not U2 as a whole, just Bono. its not like the edge is ever gonna talk anyway...

but, i agree with your point. after years and years of ranting, he has found a good nitch of people that want to listen. not to mention, he does have his hand in many different buckets right now. so, it would not be smart of him to deliberatly try and piss any of them off.

but i wouldnt go so far as to say that was a "poor stereotype". i think it is right on!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#86534 03/23/05 08:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
One of Bono's classic rant's about religion "the God I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister"! I can't remember which concert video/song it is from however it is priceless! He does come up with some funny yet, hit you in the gut remarks at times. Still an enjoyable character...

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters