Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: Confession #2
#86823 03/24/05 07:42 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'd personally see it as a good thing. That the community is mature enough to let someone have a different opinion on something as subjective as speaker preferance is a good thing, no? Plus neither of them are saying "GO BUY THESE SPEAKERS!"

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#86824 03/24/05 07:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes...I see it that way too for established folks in the hobby as well. I am wondering more about the new customers and newbies.

Being the great guys they are, they would never say "go buy", but it is the action of the change making the statement.

Last edited by curtis; 03/24/05 07:50 PM.
#86825 03/24/05 08:10 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I was thinking the same, Curtis...

...but then I thought that it's really a healthy thing. If someone is easily swayed by a single person changing brands (and it seems to have as much to do with WAF as anything else), they're probably the same kind of person that looks at an eBay seller's profile and says "Hmmm... he averages an A++++++++ - GRATE SURVICE!, I like my sellers to usually get at least 10 'pluses'..."

My HT is going to soon be all Axiom (currently my centre is not, and it sounds like crap), but I use Edirol products (Roland by any other name - 3 sets of MA-10Ds and one set of MA-20Ds) as audio monitors and near-fields. They sound more "mass market" for mixing for television and other home presentation. I mulled over using M2s and M22s, but the additional hassle of having a separate amp (the Edirols are powered) made them a lot less portable and small space friendly.

Unlike women, you can love many speakers for different reasons!

Bren R.

#86826 03/24/05 08:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

you can love many speakers

how's gettin funky with the ports now, eh?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#86827 03/24/05 08:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

you can love many speakers

who's gettin funky with the ports now, eh?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#86828 03/24/05 09:00 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
That's a REALLY excellent Question, Curtis. As you know, I've waited several months to reveal this openly, and that is one of the questions I've asked myself, and one of the reasons I've felt "damned if I do; damned if I don't." Unfortunately, I've come to no satisfactory answer.

Your point about the action of change making the statement is well taken. However a reasonable person will only infer from that change that that I have made a subjective assessment of MY circumstances, MY wants, and MY needs. I suppose there will be those who read this that will think this change means that in my opinion Rockets are "better" than Axioms. Though not true, it is unavoidable. First, I would never say that. Second, "better" is a completely subjective conclusion.

The LAST thing I would want to do is hurt Axiom in any way. I have nothing but the highest respect for the company and the product. The truth is I've not yet heard, or seen the perfect speaker. There are things about the Axioms I prefer, and there are things about the Rockets I prefer. But, no matter what I say, it will be inferred that I prefer one or the other.

My reasons for remaining on this board are twofold. One, I have a lot of friends here whom I like, admire, and respect. Two, I happen to know a fair amount about Axioms, and maybe I just might be able to help someone, with a question or problem. I am not here to promote Rockets any more than I am a member of the av123 forum to promote Axioms. I am here to help.

Without knowing, it is not unreasonable to think Axiom maintains this board in the hopes it will help sell some Axioms. I would be surprised if that was the main goal of it's members. My goal is, and always has been, to share my experience with Axioms, thereby, hopefully, helping someone make the choice that is right for them. If someone came here saying they wanted a warm, laid-back speaker, I'd be hard pressed to recommend Axioms to them. It is my oft stated belief that Axiom is more interested in a satisfied customer than they are in making a quick sale. Having a dissatisfied purchaser doesn't do Axiom any good.

If this thread is an unwelcome one, or in any way is detrimental to Axiom, I wholeheartedly support it's deletion, and will harbor no malice for doing so. I remain a staunch supporter of Ian and Amie and Axiom, and, yes, of Mark and Rockets. But, I am NOBODY'S sycophant.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#86829 03/24/05 09:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As always Jack....we put! Thanks!

#86830 03/24/05 09:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

If this thread is an unwelcome one, or in any way is detrimental to Axiom, I wholeheartedly support it's deletion, and will harbor no malice for doing so. I remain a staunch supporter of Ian and Amie and Axiom, and, yes, of Mark and Rockets. But, I am NOBODY'S sycophant.

Jesus, Jack... a few $10 words in that one. I mean, I've seen some truly angry elephants, but none that register as "syco-phants"!

I don't think ANYONE would object to this message thread. Especially after all the ones that haven't been deleted with such content as "b0s3 r ThA b0mm hahahshshsahaha SuK3rz!"

We still love you, pookie...

Bren R.

#86831 03/24/05 10:12 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
You're right. I shoulda just said a$$-kisser instead of sycophant. I'm sorry if I sounded fiesty. It's a hangover from a recent brouhaha over at AVS where I stood up to a bully and was accused of taking my stance ONLY because I was given some free speakers.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#86832 03/24/05 10:14 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
curtis,

My thoughts run similar to Jack's. Let me just do a bit of rambling here and let you add it up in whatever order you like.

I shared my change over because my overriding concern was to assure that I was upfront. I didn't want to appear as hypocritical or have my integrity questioned if it was "discovered" that I had Rockets while everyone thought I had Axioms. On the thread I started eaqrlier today, you saw some confusion along those lines in snippy's post. Honesty and integrity form a powerful elixir and avoid the perception of hypocrisy.

The difficult piece, and Jack and I have discussed this, is what Jack articulated. It would absolutely be a mistake to assume that the switch from one set to another represented a definitive statement or value judgment that one speaker was better than the other. Jack said it as well as it can be stated - it's a shading of preferences - no more, no less.

I think both speakers are excellent. You will not, in fact, see me post a detailed diatribe about which speaker does what better or worse. In this particular scenario, that would be a disservice to both companies/speakers and neither deserve that. There are at least two Axiom board members who have two setups in their homes - 1 Axiom and 1 Onix. In fact, when I settle into the now house, I will need bookshelves for the great room and I may end up with M3s.

Unfortunately, I agree with your conclusion - some will read the information and find a negative embedded where none exists. As a result of the posts Jack and I have made, they may draw a conclusion that one set is "better" or "worse" than the other. I am hopeful that there are limited instances of that, because I find no downside in either product that is worth mentioning that would constitute a knockout in choosing it.

The entire hobby is all about subjectivity. I might end up with a set of Paradgims to replace the Rockets and a set of B&Ws to replace the Paradigms. The type of person who will spend the $$ involved here will most often do the research and trust the final tie-breaker - their own ears.

The really key message is that the denizens of both the Axiom and AV123 boards are spepcial and I have some good friends on both. My intent is to foster those relationships because I treasure them. Curtis, you should resonate to that since you listen to Ascends.

I guess my final thought is this. This stuff is not important in the real world. It's a hobby, a passion, a pastime that we all enjoy and have come together to share. I still marvel at some of the online arguments I see and can't understand how over-reactive some folks get and the speed with which testosterone can fill the air in some of the discussions. That's when I need to pop in a DVD or CD and just enjoy my choices with the lights a little dim and an adult beverage to round off the corners for me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020