Rate Thread
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Re: Confession #2
#86873 03/25/05 04:27 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

Your photography was superb.

Well, I don't know about that... I could find some areas to improve. BUT... the photography was the only argument I had to allow me to admit ordnance defeat without having to completely skulk away with my head held low and my tail between my legs!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#86874 03/25/05 06:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well, I had to register a new name here at work due to problems with my laptop, but rest assured it is I, Big Will!
I have re-read Jack's original post, my post and Jack's response.
Obviously, I would never mean to offend Jack in any way. Jack is a good man, a kind man, and an intelligent man.
I wrote what I did because I felt it necessary to do so. You will note in Jack's original post that the phrase "home theater make-over" was used. Obviously this infers (based on what I have seen of "make over" shows on TV) that Jack's previous HT was woefully lacking and the replacement HT of higher quality.
So... do all Axiom HT owners need a "make over"?!
That position - that Axiom owners HTs are inferior, ghetto HTs in need of "make over" - is galling to say the least.
And, while you are completely deserving of anything good that comes your way in life, Jack, the magnanimity of Mark giving you a HT make over is akin to Enzo Ferrari donating his cars to poor Lotus owners.
I certainly meant no disrespect or offense to you, Jack.

#86875 03/25/05 06:34 PM
Cool.

Now we can talk about guns.

#86876 03/25/05 06:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
"You know, I did not fully read Bigwills comment and I have to agree, it is offensive. I hope to hell you were kidding with your comments. To even think that Jack would be "targeted" in any fashion is utterly ignorant to say the least. To shoot off at the mouth like that is an insult not only to Jack but to the forum as a whole. I also have seen the kindness of the people over at av123 and to read into that kindness is in a word sad. I think you owe Jack both a private and public apoligy for such a stupid set of comments. As Ray put it, this is a hobby, who really cares what speakers float your boat? Bigwill, do you really care enough that you have to make a comment that could hurt someones feelings? Open you eyes!"

lomb7, no I wasn't kidding.
I'm glad to see you have appointed yourself the arbiter of etiquette on the Axiom forum. Actually, being called "utterly ignorant" by someone like you is practically a compliment.
Can you guess where I suggest you stick it?

#86877 03/25/05 06:52 PM
Crap.

Now we can't talk about guns.

#86878 03/25/05 07:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Now we can't talk about guns.

I know nothing about guns.......................

#86879 03/25/05 07:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BigWill
Your testosterone level is off the charts recently.
You seem to be takeing Jacks good fortune, way too personally.
Does it REALLY matter to you the motivation behind Jacks new H/T.
I for one would be happy to recieve a new H/T even if I didnt need one or if it wasnt Axiom based.
That doesnt mean I love my Axioms any less.
Not every good deed is some kind of conspiracy.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#86880 03/25/05 07:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I know nothing about guns.......................

Imagine an SVS cylinder sub but smaller. They cost about the same, you put something in one end and loud percussive noises come out the other end. You don't want to stand too close to either of them, and you particularly don't want to be standing in front of the opening on either one. Guns do more damage to the object in front of the port, but subwoofers do more damage to off-axis objects.

The analogy breaks down when you have a matched pair. Using two guns simultaneously is an affectation, using two subs simultaneously is really cool.

>>That position - that Axiom owners HTs are inferior, ghetto HTs in need of "make over" - is galling to say the least.

Lomb7/bigwill, I think you are both over-reacting. There is a difference between the very valid point that AV123 could get some business benefit from the makeover and the very debatable opinion that the primary reason for the whole exercise was cheap publicity.

MLS strikes me as someone who is able to mix "doing good" with good business sense. I don't see a problem with that and I don't think anyone else does either. Axiom does similar good deeds but you don't hear as much about them -- my theory is that most of Northern Ontario does not yet have access to the Internet

I think a lot of us feel like saying "hey, look, if you think this was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT altruistic then maybe you're missing something -- but it probably was seventy or eighty percent "good deed" and the rest "good business".

The problem with trying to reverse engineer the intent was that there are so many good reasons for choosing Jack as the recipient of the makeover and THERE IS NO WAY WE'RE EVER GOING TO KNOW which reasons dominated.

1. If I made speakers I was proud of I would want someone like Jack to own them -- someone who already knows what good speakers sound like, and could really enjoy and appreciate them.

2. If I was going from a pure "cold, calculating, how will I get the most promotional bang for my buck" perspective Jack would also be a good choice -- he's known to be impartial, active in the internet community, and if he likes the speakers people will know he's not just being a shill.

3. If circumstances were a factor, again Jack would be an ideal choice. He does need to spend a lot of time at home; who better to enjoy a fine audio system ? Far better than this "subwoofers for single mothers" thing I hear from time to time...

4. If I wanted to make a good natured dig at the competition, displacing an Axiom system would be a great way to do it. I find this hilarious personally; if I were in MLS's shoes I would probably do the same. Don't think it's something worth getting upset about and I'm sure Ian is chuckling about it himself.

Anyways, if you find option 2 offensive then think about options 1, 3, and 4. The truth is that all of them probably factored into the decision -- believing option 2 was not even a consideration might be a bit naive but believing option 2 was the only consideration is probably far too cynical.

Geez, I'm glad it's Mark and I with the guns.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/25/05 07:28 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#86881 03/25/05 07:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ok, guns.

i have a Ruger P97DC, .45 caliber. its a good, reliable, high caliber handgun to start with. nothing fancy, just a solid performing slide action. it can be considered 'clunky' to people used to smaller, lighter hand guns. but, it fits my hand perfect, and the slide is very smooth with quick retraction/ejection/load action. i really like theis weapon, and would recommend it to anyone looking to move up to a large caliber slide action. i would NOT recommend this to first time shooters, or small body mass shooters. this gun kicks, and will cause muscle fatigue after a long day of firing.

my other handgun, is almost exactly like yours mark. well, i say 'mine', but its actually my wifes. she has a .38 smith/wesson airweight snub nose. standard black chassis, but we have had a custom grip. she likes to feel her fingers in the grooves of the grip, makes it more secure in her hand. this gun is super light, very small and easily concealable. this gun has a very fierce jolt when firing. and i say jolt, instead of kick, cause there is a difference. the Ruger has KICK, in other words, it rocks your hand, your arm, shoulder, and pretty much your whole body. the .38 has a quick jolt. being that the gun is so light, the brunt of the recoil is taken in your wrist, and it will give it a good snap. not enough to be painful or extreme, but enough to let you know you are firing something with some power. my wife loves the feel of this gun. and, ironically enough, it is damn near louder than my 45. reason is, the lightweight chassis, incorporated with cylinder firing mechanism, doesnt leave anything to help with absorbtion or deflection of sound. so, it lets off a good, high pitched snap when it fires. i like this feature, cause if my wife ever has to fire this gun in self defense, the sound alone will make the bad guy turn and run. it has a 5 shot cylinder which we load with 2 rat shots, then 3 mushrooms.

for hunting, i have 4 other guns. for small game and varmits, i have a Kimber 22-250. for deer, i have a remington .308. and for birds, i have a 12 gauge browning, and the classic remington model 1100, 20 gauge.

i really think that to get the feel for rifles and shotguns, you just need to go shoot different ones, and see what you like. try different brands and different calibers, and find the one that you are comfortable with. i truly believe that most arms made by reliable companies, are all quality products. it just simply comes down to a matter of preference. so, for someone that might be interested, just remember that price does not necessarily equte to performance.

man, i was just about to post this, and went back to read it for errors, and i realized that i come off sounding like some gun crazed maniac. i assure you, i am not. i like to hunt, and i never even had my first handgun up til about 6 years ago.

EDIT- well said bridge and bray. i think it could have been part good deed, and part business, but its ALL good for jack. he didnt ask for this.. it is just one of those uniquely special events that dont happen to very many people in their lifetime. the last thing i, or anyone should try and do, is spoil that for jack.

bigwill- you and i agree/disagree on stuff all the time, but i think you kinda gotta rotten auora about this. isnt it easier just to say that something nice happened to a friend of ours, and leave it at that? i dont get why this seems to be a battle worth fighting for you?

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 03/25/05 07:56 PM.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#86882 03/25/05 07:50 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Mark, thank you for the graciously offered words of conciliation. But before we let this drop, I would like to remark on this one point.
In reply to:

the magnanimity of Mark giving you a HT make over is akin to Enzo Ferrari donating his cars to poor Lotus owners.

I do not have the slightest idea of the value or quality of either of those automobiles. They are a just a tad out of my price range. But, I infer from that statement that you feel Mark didn't do anything but change the brand of my speakers.

If that is your implication, I would point out that the M60s retail for $900 while the 850s retail for $2000.

I would point out that he is replacing my $900 Onkyo, a very competent, respectable receiver which has served me well, with a $1200 preamplifier and power amplifier combo, which will enable me to utilize my Outlaw ICBM as an active crossover for all my speakers.

I would point out he is providing me with a computer programmed subwoofer equalizing system, which should give me considerably more control over the integration oif my sub with the rest of the system.

I would point out that each of the rest of the components he is providing me with are higher priced than the ones they are replacing.

Yes, we all know that higher prices do NOT necessarily equate with higher quality. And the above changes do not NECESSARILY mean an Improvement in the sound quality of my system. That is purely subjective conclusion, which I alone can make.

However, on value alone, he IS providing me with a step up. From my Webster's:

Upgrade - to raise in importance, value, esteem, etc.

Nothing there about quality. Probably because quality, in most, but not all, cases, is subjective.

To return to the automobile analogy, but with ones the value of which I have at least a vague understanding, it's more like going from a Honda Accord to a Toyota Avalon. Better? that's a matter of subjective opinion and can only be found in the eye of the beholder.

So, as to the Ferrari being given to the Lotus owner, may we assume you find no fault with that IF the Lotus owner deserves the gift?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup