Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
Re: Can't get enough Star Wars episode III discuss
#88420 09/30/05 12:47 AM
shareholder in the making
Hey there Capn, no cropping/cutting of the picture. With a constant height design the height stays constant, the width just changes. The screen you use is a 2.35 ratio. When you watch smaller aspect ratios all you do is mask the sides with curtains just like the movie theaters. I'll try to explain better.

As you know with a 16:9 screen, if your watching 2.35 movies you still have black bars on the top and bottom, actually those black bars account for 33% of the total picture that is lost, so your not making use of all your resolution. They have to do this so the entire 2.35 movie fits within the 16:9(1.78) ratio screen.

Anyway, in my case my screen is 51" x 120" wide for 2.35. When I watch movies in lower AR's the Prismasonic lens has a "pass through" mode so the image passes through the lens and appears on the screen just as if I didn't have an anamorphic lens.

Now when watching 2.35 material, first you have to have a scaler to vertically stretch the material to fit the height of the screen to make use of the full panels. Your only adjusting vertically, not horizontally so it makes the image tall and skinny. This is where the lens come to play, you then use the stretch knobs to horizontally stretch the image to fit the 2.35 screen and the picture looks normal again.

As far as the scaler goes, many people use HTPC's, or other high priced scalers. Some DVD players and some projectors will perform the needed initial stretch.

Anyway, if you go to AVSforum every, there is a great new board for 2.35 users, it is starting to become very popular. I tell you, now that I can experience all the wider movies as they were intended to be viewed, I don't know how I ever stood for the black bars.

www.prismasonic.com/english

www.panamorph.com

ISCO is another anamorphic lens, but more expensive than the above. Panamorph just makes vertical anamorphic lens's, meaning they take the previously stretched (scaled) image, and vertically compress it to achieve the 2.35 screen, end result the screen is smaller, unless you have a long throw projector. Prismasonic makes both vertical and horizontal lens's. My Prismasonic horizontally stretches the scaled image, so you can achieve a larger screen from any given throw distance.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=117

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#88421 09/30/05 03:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the explanation. So, basically, you get the best of both worlds with the 2.35 screen ratio - high resolution with no cropping on Cinescope type pictures, and full resolution (with a slightly skinnier screen, which is physically masked) on 16:9 images. Very cool.

I have resued the 2.35 constant height forum a bit over at AVS some time ago, but found it all to be well beyond me (mostly since I don't have a dedicated HT room, and thus, no practical front projection application).

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Quick question, with the addition of a scaler and a special lense, how much does that increase the cost for the projector? I would think that it might add some considerable cost. Also, can the wife/girlfriend/signifcant other figure out how to do all the scaling (i.e. is it automated through macros, or is there a whole process that needs to be done?)

Thanks. Sorry to remain off topic about Star Wars - which is totally going to rock.

Back on track - I wish that they included the Grievous executing the Jedi scene - it would have tied the Clone Wars cartoons in well with the movie, and would have shown Greivous doing more than coughing and running away. He needed to be colder and sinister - this scene might have helped with that.

I also wish that the Mon Mothma scenes weren't cut, which is the first sign that a rebellion might occur - it would have done a lot to explain why Leia is such an empirial opposer - as a result of her father's affiliation with Mon Mothma's cause.

#88422 10/01/05 04:25 AM
In my case the Projector is doing the scaling/stretching of the 2.35 movies and I am using 480p over component mode since the projector won't scale 720p or 1080i over HDMI/DVI. So the only additional cost I had was the lens. Some more expensive projectors like the Infocus 7200 and others will scale the higher resolutions. Others use HomeTheaterPC's and special software to do the scaling. Even some DVD players will do the scaling, mine won't.

Here is a pic from Star Wars II tonight just playing around with my 5yr old digital camera. With the lens in stretch mode, you just have to turn a few knobs, you get the full 51" x 120" image.

I know this is not a Star Wars screen shot, but it shows you that when watching 1.85 ratio movies, I just have to turn the knobs to PassThrough mode. The height stays the same, I just have to mask the sides. I don't have curtains yet to do that masking

I have some new pics of my mount in the Home Theater forum.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=110103&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#88423 10/08/05 09:49 AM
TNTguy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Bill Hunt has his review of the Episode III DVD here:
www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarsepisode3.html

He is also reporting that Rob Coleman of ILM told him Yoda in Episode I will be redigitized to fit the look/technology from Episodes II and III. Coleman also told him that the puppet Yoda in the Original saga will never be replaced with CG.

Also, it was reported that George Lucas is finishing the script for Indy IV this week. Whether or not that is a good thing is up for debate. Part of me is excited for the film but I have to wonder about the 10+ year delay when the film was in limbo. 60 year old Indy cracking the whip against those pesky cold war Russians? Who knows though, Lucas and Spielberg might be able to pull it off.

#88424 10/08/05 11:04 PM
Indy IV? Harrison Ford is getting pretty old. They might need to do some CG action scenes for him, as I doubt he's as limber as he used to be.

#88425 10/08/05 11:58 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Episode III is THE new reference DVD by a wide margin... as it damn well should be.

Well, duh! LOL! Thanks for the info TNT. I heard from my supplier yesterday that he will be delivering mine to me on the 24th, and we are going to do a prequel marathon. My new tactile transducers will be installed next week too. Man, I can't wait.

As for Ford and Indy IV, you should have seen Harrison drooling all over himself, at the Tribute to GL, when it was mentioned.

#88426 10/17/05 01:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Do you guys know if epIII will be released in a box set withthe rest of the prequels anytime soon? i dont own any of them and it would just be easier to buy all three. Thanks

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#88427 10/17/05 09:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
First, there will be no Ep. III on VHS, which is a shame for those VHS box-set enthusiasts/completionists.

Second - Ep. III will come out first as a stand alone. A box will be available to order to house your prequel trilogy. Details will likely come with Ep. III DVD.

Third, there will probably be a couple of trilogy re-releases, after the initial Ep. III craze dies down. Then, we're also likely to see a 6 movie set.

Fourth (and hopefully finally), there will be the super-duper, 6 movie (10 disc or more?) HD-DVD version.

#88428 10/28/05 04:08 AM
This abomination (though it is funny), is apparently an easter egg on the latest DVD.

#88429 10/28/05 09:02 AM
TNTguy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
That is pretty funny.

I am surprised MiniRock hasn't chimed in yet. He was supposed to have the DVD by now.

Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters