AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
2 registered (Socketman, onn), 62 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22827 Topics
403276 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17742
pmbuko 16259
SirQuack 13318
CV 11146
MarkSJohnson 10833
Meanwhile On Facebook

A very fond farewell party last night . . . we miss you Noreen!

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88693 - 04/04/05 12:52 PM surround delay, sub config in HT
mikedev10 Offline
frequent flier

what do i do to correctly set the delay for my surrounds? i have the avia dvd but there does not appear to be a test for it?

also had trouble doing anything with setting phase on my sub. and for loudness i had it registering the same level on my spl meter as my fronts but it was barely putting out anything still so i kinda cranked that one up a lot further. :O

#88694 - 04/04/05 05:15 PM Re: surround delay, sub config in HT
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
To set the delay/distance for your speakers, you'll need to use a tape measure. Most receivers do distance in feet or meters, but some still use milliseconds. If yours does milliseconds, convert 1 foot to 1 millisecond.

As to the sub's phase, you want to choose the setting where the bass sounds fullest at your listening position.

With the sub's loudness, don't worry that the test tones don't sound loud when SPL meter shows it is even. All the test tones I've heard from properly calibrated subs end up sounding a bit anemic. Turning up the level of the sub so that it sounds equally loud as the other speakers to your ears will make it much too overpowering when you're watching movies or listening to music.

#88695 - 04/04/05 05:20 PM Re: surround delay, sub config in HT
alan Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/Dwight
Mikedev10,

And don't worry if you don't hear any difference when you switch the phase of the subwoofer. Like pmbuko says, listen to see if one setting produces smoother, more consistent and stronger bass. If you don't hear any difference, leave the phase switch at "0".

Regards,

#88696 - 04/05/05 09:54 AM Re: surround delay, sub config in HT
mikedev10 Offline
frequent flier

so from primary listening position, measure feet to surround, then delay that many ms ?

or measure position to front right, position to rear right, and delay the difference in ms?

#88697 - 04/05/05 11:13 AM Re: surround delay, sub config in HT
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
All distances should be measured from your ears (when you sit in your favorite spot) to the front face of each speaker. You want to enter the actual measurements into the receiver, not the differences.

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.