Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Problems with wiring....should I solder?
#88855 04/05/05 05:47 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok so my theater is getting closer to being finished....and when I think I am getting near the end, I get frustrated with a new obstacle...

I have wires run and connected to a 7.1 system. And I have two wall plates w/ red and black connectors for 4 speakers each. The problem I am having is that I have to strip the wires and put it in this small hole, and screw down on it. I can get all of the wires hooked up, but when it comes time to put it in the box and attach the wall plate, the wires pop out...no matter how hard I screw it in, or how gentle I am when putting the plates in the wall box....Because the wires are so stiff, there is no play, and the wires pop out real easy!

I paid a lot of money for these wall plates, and I intend on using them. I am not very good with a solder iron, but I am thinking thats the best way to go. Would you suggest soldering in the area w/ a screw down, or directly to the post?

I have included two shots of one of the wall plates. Note that the side view has 8 screws, one red & black per speaker. That is what I am having trouble with!!!

ARGH!!!

http://members.cox.net/vegasvec/pictures/backview.jpg

http://members.cox.net/vegasvec/pictures/sideview.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Re: Problems with wiring....should I solder?
#88856 04/05/05 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I understand where you're coming from, it can get tight w/ multiple wires in a junction box. Here's some options.

1) How wide is the junction box? Is it a single box? If so, you can cut a bigger hole in the wall and replace it w/ a double or triple box and use dummy plates to cover what you don't use. That'll give you more routing space. As long as there's no other AC wires or plumbing behind the wall, it's pretty easy to cut drywall. Unless your wall is brick or concrete...

2) I use Leviton quickport speaker terminals and they have a more thinner profile. I just screwed the wires on the back side. I use pretty stiff 12 ga too.

3) From your pix, it looks like that circuit board gives you options to insert the speaker wires on the gold contacts (holes). Why not unscrew and remove that circuit board completely? Then just wire to the banana jacks directly? That'll shrink up the profile and shouldn't be a problem. You'll also get rid of another stage of connectors, which is better anyways.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 04/05/05 06:03 PM.
#88857 04/05/05 09:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
post some picks of the junction box you have now maybe that will help us help you. also if you have an electrical junction box in there now replace it with a low vlotage ring type box which has no back to it just has the frame for you to screw your plate to. like this these are not the ones ive used i just wanted to give you an idea what they look like. and it was first on google search.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#88858 04/05/05 10:19 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the responses.

As for the box, it is a double "old-new" box. It is basically a plastic mudring, with no back. It attaches to the sheetrock.

As for removing the circuit board - no can do. The backs are soldered on, so I can't unscrew it.

The problem is not with the box, but the way the wires are held by the screws. I guess its hard to explain.

Imagine this, the screw posts are on the side...so even if I tighten it the best I can, and I go to put the plate in the wall, the wires will bend since the hole is on the side of the plate...the wire essentially is at a 90 degree angle...

Does that make more sense? I might have to take better shots of the plate. Let me know.

Thanks.

#88859 04/05/05 10:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I know what you're talking about. Sounds like the wires can't handle the 90 degree bend and still stay connected. I say go w/ this. It's easier to deal w/ and not that expensive.

Leviton

#88860 04/06/05 11:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Gary, you may want to try these.
They have the same binding post front AND back.

My other suggestion would be to use two plates with 4 connectors instead of 8. Far less chance of a stray wire causing a short.

Shawn

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#88861 04/21/05 10:07 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I'm a newbie to HT but have done auto electrical for years. I'm wondering if you were to tin the ends of your wires if the screws would hold better.

Shawn M60ti/VP150/EP500/4 QS8 It's much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
#88862 04/21/05 10:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think so. I often tin the ends of my wires.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020