Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
How to convert the unconverted? BOSE owners
#91339 04/18/05 06:30 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
How do you guys go about expalining to friends and neighbors, that some speaker systems, like BOSE, are no good? I'm sure many of us have been in the situation where someone thinks that they have a real home theater, then they ask you what you think. My neighbor did this to me the other day. He has a BOSE system, he knows I'm into home theater. "Hey come and have a listen to my system, what do you think?" I hate this question.

It's very difficult to say you don't like BOSE or whatever HTIB they might have, without coming off as a snob. So when my neighbor asked my opinion, I hesitated A LOT, because I didn't want to sound like a jerk. I ended up telling him something to the effect that most knowledgeable audiophiles don't have much regard for BOSE. I went on to explain that you can get a lot more performance for your money from other companies. He didn't like this answer, And I don't think he really believed me. IT's hard for one person to overcome all the brainwashing of Bose's advertising budget.

This guy is a big wine conessiuer (sp?)so I tried to use a wine alalogy on him. Bose speakers, are like the wine you buy in a box. Sure it meets all the same criteria as other wine, close to the same color, it has alcohol in it, made from grapes, etc. But it's not good quality. It's hard to explain if you are not a wine expert why it's not as good, you just know it isn't. The same with Bose, I can explain in audiphile jargon why Axiom's are much better, but if you're not an audiophile, and you don't really understand the terminology it just sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo. So I think my neighbor thinks I'm an audio snob, and he thinks Bose is worth the money.

How do you guys approach the subject, or do you just avoid it entirely, and leave them blissfully ignorant?

Re: How to convert the unconverted? BOSE owners
#91340 04/18/05 06:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Probably should just say, "Sounds pretty good considering how tiny those speakers are." There's not much point in raining on someone's parade - especially a neighbor/friend.

#91341 04/18/05 06:36 PM
old hand
old hand
I'd be pissed too if I bought a 3K HTIB then finding out it's a mockery for people who know audio, or like me - I'm no expert but I can research/read!

#91342 04/18/05 06:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As I posted in another thread a few minutes ago, I also have a neigbor with Bose cubes, and he thinks his system sounds as good as the Halo/Axiom, I just nod and agree. No reason to to try and explain it, he also has a cabinet quality table saw and other tools, ones I would like to have. But he does not even have the basics of building somehting, so he always wanting my opinion on his wood projects, I give the same responses as the speakers.

#91343 04/18/05 06:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think what you said to him was a very honest and forward approach. by telling him that you can get much better bang for buck with other speakers, you wernt lying.. you were being honest.. now, i wouldnt go on and on about how crappy they are, and how they are totally driven by the marketing hype and how paul harvey couldnt tell the difference anyway.. just point out the facts, and if he wishes, let him investigate furthur.. so i guess its half what you said, and half what bigwill said.. be honest, but dont dump on his parade.

BTW- i think the wine analogy is perfect. the poor guy dont know it, but he got a 'Franzia' HT system, at a 'Crystal' price.. but, i like that angle..its one that he should have been able to understand.. if you want to make him feel better... go buy some really cheap wine, and tell him to come taste it cause its the 'best wine you have ever had'.. i am sure he will be honest and set you straight...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#91344 04/18/05 06:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I've had a Bose Acounstimass-7 system for at least 10 years. At the time the WAF was most important. The small speakers were the thing for her. I have to admit that for middle of the road sound, they are fine. I knew what I was missing and was satisfied.

Now the son and I are really into DVDs. We want to hear all the effects, high and low.

You won't be able to tell a Bose guy what he's missing if he doesn't want to hear it. You might even put a $3000 system next to his and he will say "But look what you had to spend".

You know better.

Let it go and say "sounds nice"

#91345 04/18/05 07:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I usually go with "Do you like it?" They always say "Yes." Then I say "Cool." And try to avoid the topic in the future. That's for about 90% of people. For the folks (almost all men) that I know who are really interested in developing the best system they can, I tell them to do research on the web and something like "If they were significantly cheaper, they'd be fine. But at $3000.00 they are way over priced for what you get." People are less inclined to feel judged with that approach.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#91346 04/18/05 07:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If your wife asks you what you think of a hat BEFORE she buys it, she's looking for your honest opinion. If she asks what you think of the hat AFTER she's purchased it, she's looking for reinforcement of her decision.

Assuming the hat is a genuine "Bose," you have a choice. Tell her the truth and sleep on the couch, or LIE LIKE A DOG and get a good night's sleep.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#91347 04/18/05 07:24 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
jack- thats a very good theory.. but i dont sleep with my neighbor..

so he is gonna get the truth, but put in a nice way.. but i agree with james.. i ask if they like it, the answer is always "yes", so i say "well thats all that matters". then, i suggest for him to go do some research, and then they will get a clue..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#91348 04/18/05 07:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It was a metaphor, John, a METAPHOR. But, I'm glad to know you don't sleep with your neighbor. I'll bet he is too.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup