Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: How to convert the unconverted? BOSE owners
#91369 04/20/05 06:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Sad, but true. Some people can't be helped....

#91370 04/20/05 06:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yea, I was just checking Shag's system out, very nice Shag!

Rick
Our Room

smile
#91371 04/20/05 06:38 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
shag- well, if there is a WAF, and he dont like the BIG M80's, have you maybe tried to lean him towards a bookshelf, like a M22's, and maybe some QS4's? those are MUCH smaller, and they could be mounted very nicely with the FMB's. and he could get an awesome receiver, the best SVS or HSU sub he could want, and stil come WAY under the $4K that the lifestyle system would cost. heck, he could even get everything in custom finishes to appease the WAF, and still be inder $4K.

just as a friend, i would seriously just point out other options avail to him before he goes and wastes that kind of money..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#91372 04/20/05 06:49 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My ex-boss bought a HTIB, don't remember which brand. I advised him what to buy beforhand, but he didn't listen. And he only wanted to spend $500 or so. OK, if you want to spend only $500 you can't knock a guy for buying a HTIB. So I finally go to his house, and I see that he has put the "subwoofer", inside of a cabinet with the door closed! I expalined that this is a big problem, it needs to be in the room not inside of some furniture with it's door closed. He says it sounds fine, and that his wife won't let him put it in the room. He also did not have the rear surrounds hooked up at all due to the wife's orders. These guys are marrying the wrong women. I would never consider marrying someone who tried to control how I set up my audio equipment. Yes... I am married. (putting flame jacket on now)

#91373 04/20/05 06:49 PM
veteran
veteran
My friend doesn't have a wife nor a need for any approval factor of any kind. He's just a Bose fan, plain and simple.

If he went with the M22's or a similar setup, it would be much cheaper than the Bose system and sound x times better.

Shag
#91374 04/20/05 06:53 PM
veteran
veteran
No offense to you married guys, but everyone has to have some kind of hobbies that you enjoy. If being an audiophile is it, than so be it. Why not start criticizing your wife's hobbies? (I'll put on my flame jacket too)

Thx for the compliments guys.

Last edited by shag; 04/20/05 06:56 PM.

Shag
#91375 04/20/05 06:59 PM
local
local
The WAF can be a powerful thing. Heck my acceptance factor also had me looking at Bose at the beginning. We both wanted a good sounding, unabtrusive system (the latter being my wifes top priority and the former being mine) and with all the hype Bose creates I naturally checked them out first hoping to get the best of both worlds. I realized size does matter and I could do a lot better for sound at less $ (always a major driver for frugal me). That and luckily my wife, the great gal she is, readjusted her top priority to accepting my judgement and what would make me most happy.

But for lots of folks asthetics (like small) is really important in the decision criteria. I'm sure Bose realizes these type of folks are a large part of their consumer market and the advertising is designed to reinforce that thinking.

But yup, all you can do is try and offer some alternative ideas like Bigjohn suggested and hope they are altimately happy with whatever they decide. That and thank your lucky stars (or your good wife choosing ability) the WAF isn't your prime driver!

Paul

#91376 04/20/05 09:13 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I'd considered a tit for tat approach for equal opportunity hobby bashing, but the fact is my wife doesn't have any hobbies that monopolize an entire room like my HT hobby does. It's a testament to how much she loves me that she allows my equipment to dictate (or at least restrict) how the living room furniture is arranged.

#91377 04/20/05 09:25 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
heres a WAF for ya..

my wife comes home from school last night, and tells me that one of the other professors up there was talking about how his brother was a "stereo freak", and that he had just spent $35K on a new stereo system for his house. she said he went into detail about some of the equip, and what sort of stuff he had bought. after she told her story, she just kinda looked up at the Onkyo 701, and said with a grin, "i guess you spending $3000 on all this stuff aint that bad after-all".. now thats WAF, but in a good way!!

so thats what i do from here on out.. to make her think its OK to get the $800 SVS sub, i need to convince her its WAY better than the $3000 earthquake sub..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#91378 04/20/05 09:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

heres a WAF for ya..

my wife comes home from school last night, and tells me that one of the other professors up there was talking about how his brother was a "stereo freak", and that he had just spent $35K on a new stereo system for his house. she said he went into detail about some of the equip, and what sort of stuff he had bought. after she told her story, she just kinda looked up at the Onkyo 701, and said with a grin, "i guess you spending $3000 on all this stuff aint that bad after-all".. now thats WAF, but in a good way!!

so thats what i do from here on out.. to make her think its OK to get the $800 SVS sub, i need to convince her its WAY better than the $3000 earthquake sub..

bigjohn

Yep, a few days ago whenever my wife asked about my spending habits as of late I just whipped up the Axiom message board, zipped right over to a couple of Dennis' threads, showed her a couple of the pics from his Haxiom gear and said to her....'Honey, each and every one of these folks on the board have a system just like this, mine's, er, uh, I mean OURS is a very conservative system!'

She just rolled her eyes.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup