Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
"Power Supply"----breaker box to HT outlet require
#91924 04/23/05 02:33 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
In an ideal, yet realistic, home theatre electrical wiring system, what would be the best set-up.

I am starting from circuit breakers, in-wall wiring, outlets and to protection devices.

Is there an ideal circuit breaker for an amp, sub, receiver, Cd player, DVD player, Cable Box and VCR.

I thought about 4 circuit breakers with four electrical runs to 4 separate dual plug outlets. One for the sub, one for the receiver/amp, one for the seperate amp and one for the projection tv. Each of these would have one other device plugged into the outlet ie; DVD player, CD player, Cable box and VCR.

Does that sound about right? Where and what would be suggested for protection, either in the breaker or between outlet and system plugs?

Would 15 amp cb's work fine? Should I use a larger wire in wall from cb to outlet ie; 10 gauge 2 wire.

Any thoughts or past experiences would be great to hear.

Thanks Troy

M80 VP150 4-QS8 EP600 Monitor Audio S8 NAD T 773 Anthem MCA3 II Hitachi 57" projection
Re: "Power Supply"----breaker box to HT outlet require
#91925 04/23/05 03:44 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Maybe I'm not understanding you, or is it different in the states? I recently wired my basement. For my HT area I installed 1 20 amp circuit breaker, ran 12-2 wiring from the box to my HT room to run all of my equipment, switches, and outlets. I'm no electrician, but did get advice from a few that are, seems like overkill to me? I kept my office/bathroom/hallway on one circuit (15amp), my recroom/bar on another circuit (15amp), and you already know about the HT room.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#91926 04/23/05 04:34 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I am not an electrician either, but I never thought having that much equipment on one circuit would be a safe thing to do. Maybe if you are operating this stuff all at different times, but not all at once.

It seems that there is an awful lot of info out there on the proper power cords and wire capacities and such in regards to amplifiers, sound systems and components.

Does that mean nothing, if you go and overload a single circuit trying to provide power to three seperate amps totalling up to 2000 watts of power and then to try to also power the TV and any other equipment in use. If you don't have enough going in, then you will most certainly not have enough to go out either.

How many high power items are good on a singe circuit. In a kitchen they don't want the single outlets to be powering 2 items at a time, so they wire 1 circuit to each side of the outlet . They are on a 15 amp circuit.

Do they actually recommend putting a complete ht stereo system on a 15 amp circuit?

I maybe a little overboard in my wiring thoughts but it does work out to only 2 items per outlet, mind you they all won't run at once. Maybe only the receiver and it's amp, along with the sub and it's amp and the 3 channel amp for the mains, with a couple others powered at the same time. Seems like a lot to me. Maybe not too much amperage wise, I don't know, "That is why I'm asking for advise here".

I can't see hooking up 8 seperate Ht components to one circuit. It would be a snake pit and possibly a hazard.

I could be wrong here and a little excessive but I want to be safe and sure that everything has the power required to perform to it's full. potential.

If my thinking is wrong, I stand to save a few dollars and learn a bit along the way.

Thanks for your input,
Troy

M80 VP150 4-QS8 EP600 Monitor Audio S8 NAD T 773 Anthem MCA3 II Hitachi 57" projection
#91927 04/23/05 04:38 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
RickCathey can probably chime in here, he's an electrical engineer, or an electrician or a sparky of some kind.

I realize you're trying to build the "most kick-a$$" HT you can, going way past what's necessary... but in this case, you're really just adding a bunch of different ground potentials. One or two circuits at 15amp should do you fine. Maybe one for the HT equipment, make it 20 amp if it makes you feel good, save another circuit for the lights (this is almost a must if you're using dimmers!) and quit worrying. If it makes you feel any better just TELL people every single outlet is on it's own circuit breaker and that you're using 2ga. solid uranium in-wall wiring.

Bren R.

#91928 04/23/05 04:46 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
"2 gauge" I like that one. The guy I bought my Anthem amp from had 200 to 300 dollar power cords and a seperate circuit breaker box just for his HT sound system. He said he sells the power cords as part of his business. After seeing that Ithought you needed a little extra backup to avoid power problems.

Like I said what the heck do I know! That's why I ask smart fella's like yourselves for your opinions.

"Kick ass" is good though. Kind of like the difference between a 454 big block and the 4 cyl hyundia.
You don't drive it all the time, but when you do it is a hell of a lot of fun!

Troy

#91929 04/23/05 04:52 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

"Kick ass" is good though. Kind of like the difference between a 454 big block and the 4 cyl hyundia.
You don't drive it all the time, but when you do it is a hell of a lot of fun!

I'll put it to you another way... Duralube may be great for an oil additive, but don't throw it in your bike if it uses engine oil for the tranny too... hmm... clutch...plates... won't... grab...

Bren R.

#91930 04/23/05 05:02 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Never used "Duralube" before but I'll take your word for it.
On a serious note; What is your solution to the power requirements. Is it one 15 or 20 amp circuit and plugging all items into a single power bar?

I don't own a 454 big block either, but if you think the system I'm putting together is kickass then I'm happy with that. For those days when the wife is at work and the kids are in school, I will be taking it for a cruise.

"have to clean out the carb once in a while"

Troy

#91931 04/23/05 05:13 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hey Bren,

Did you ever get your name on the list for system auditions? I must admit it was great being able to listen the Axium setup prior to ordering. Not many in the region and yours would be a great HT setup as well.

Troy

#91932 04/23/05 05:14 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

On a serious note; What is your solution to the power requirements. Is it one 15 or 20 amp circuit and plugging all items into a single power bar?

Again, I'd say maybe throw the lighting on one circuit and the HT stuff on another. As powerful as we all want to believe our audio stuff is, it's not drawing the same as a 12 amp deep carpet extraction machine or a 3K HMI light or even say, a toaster over (which heats up an element which is pretty much just a resistive short circuit!)... why did I choose those three? I grew up helping with dad's carpet cleaning business, I've lit with HMIs and I used to live in an apartment that hated the fridge and toaster oven on at the same time. Those are fresh in my mind as big offenders.

Plus, everything drawing off a common ground reduces your chance of hum (yes, yes... ground potential changes even between outlets on the same circuit, I know... but it could be worse over multiple circuits).

Bren R.

#91933 04/23/05 05:27 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay Bren,

I guess I'll be saving a little time and $. One circuit is plenty and 2 wire 12 gauge will suffice (but 2 gauge would be better).
I guess the guy I bought the Anthem from was spending somewhere around, I'd be guessing, but atleast a couple of thousand just for show.
I don't expect many folks will see the wiring, although I guess some are quite proud of the wiring bundles they have floating around there systems. I didn't think that was neccessary but, making sure the power was available was one of my concerns. You have broadened my HT scope!

Thanks Bren,
Troy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters