Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: TV puchasing advice needed!
#92223 04/29/05 08:41 PM
shareholder in the making
Me, I would get pissed if someone tried to haggle with me on my labor costs. It says on all the paperwork what my hourly rate is, what the minimum time is, and what the interval is. If you can't pay that, don't ask me to do the work. The worst is when I ask for a check or credit card AFTER having done the work, and the person tries to get terms. Um... you have to fill in an application for that WITH references...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#92224 04/29/05 08:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
yeah ken you are preaching to the choir (spelling?). that is the same customer that wants you to drop everyting to come over but wants to wait 30days to pay you.

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#92225 04/29/05 08:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Dead Alive reference?

"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of it."

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#92226 04/29/05 08:47 PM
Hey, if they've got terms, they can wait 30 days. But they're gonna pay extra for that emergency service. Surprise! Now it's not an emergency, is it?

#92227 04/29/05 08:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
lol at this point the companies go out of business or clame bankrupcy i try to avoid terms unless its the only way i can get the business.
also we charge extra for data backup and when i ask do you need any data backed up they reply yes i would like this and that i tell them its x amount short pause "oh the data is not that important" lol

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#92228 04/29/05 08:53 PM
Heh. We don't charge for data backup, but the time it takes adds in...

I don't handle the terms side of things, but we do have a fairly aggressive pair of people who do... and we do credit checks, require references, etc, the whole nine yards.

#92229 04/29/05 09:03 PM
devotee
devotee
I could probably benefit from the Haggling 101 course. Bigjohn the professor? I would learn much but I do worry about the laboratory section of the course. You know, like the ports on the speakers and bigjohn's instructions.....

#92230 04/29/05 09:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
no, no.. i wasnt implying that you were "mad" at me.. not at all.. i was saying, that ME as a consumer/purchaser, i wouldnt have any bad feelings or ill-will toward that store owner for not dealing with me. i just simply wouldnt come back.. once again, i am having translation problems

i dont disagree with you or ken's thought process, its just diffeent than how i would do it. you run your businesses, or do your jobs the way YOU see fit. that doenst make either of use right or wrong, it just means we probably have different business strategies.. and what ways do you measure if the strategies are working? profit? customer satisfaction? repeat business? who knows... but i DO know, that here in West Texas, if you aint willing to wheel and deal, then you wont be in business very long. its just a fact.

ken- i dont haggle labor without asking initial price first. example- plumber comes to do a job, quotes me $500 bucks, but adds "it might cost more if it takes me longer, or if we run into any complications".. i ask "how long should it take?" he says, "about 5 hours". so 2 days later he does the job, he was at my house for 6 hours, and hands me the bill for $600. i ask where the extra $100 came from, he says "it took longer than we thought".. so i said it took ONE hour more than you thought, and your labor is $55 bucks an hour.. he says, "OK", and cuts me a new receipt for $550. this is a true story...

if i would have never asked about the extra $100, he would have taken it and run. althought i was still angry it was $50 more than the initial estimate, i still paid less than the $600 he had asked for. thats what i mean on labor.

i think there are SOOO many different scenarios to haggling, i think i could write a book. i am not try to come off as some cheap ole basterd, cause i aint.. i just try and make my dollar stretch as far as it can. i dont mind paying good money for good stuff.. i bought axioms, didnt i?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#92231 04/29/05 09:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
But Axiom's are already a steal!

Hey, is Craigsub going to weigh in on this one? I bet he'd have some interesting insight.

During the annual girls' trip to Montreal last fall, we went to the garment district to sample sales (and if you're like Ian, you just heard 'blah blah blah blah blah') - no prices on anything. Swear to you, the vendor looked at you and gave you a price. The next person may get a totally different price. It was interesting to become a fly on a wall and try to 'see' what she could 'see' that would get her the different prices. Purse quality? Haircut? How tightly I was gripping the pigskin suede pants?

#92232 04/29/05 10:18 PM
Yeah, that example is quite reasonable, BigJohn. The way I do it, I write down my start time, then write down my finish time, round to the most favorable 15 minutes for my company, and charge them based on the hourly rate multiplied times the amount of time I spent. If they were directly quoted a time and I went over, then we can talk. Usually I end up going over because of something the customer (or more likely the customer's employees) did, but if I went over because of my own fault, they don't get charged for that time. Of course, I try my best to not quote times (with computers, god only knows what's going to happen).

Your plumber sounds like a jerk.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters