Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
bi-amping...
#92539 04/28/05 02:36 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Mostly, I've read here (and other places) that taking those jumper bars off my M80s and bi-amping is just not worth it for the average living room.

I have a 7 channel amp, with two spares right now (no back channels). So, I think I have the hardware to try it out.

Now, what am I accomplishing? Will it work? Can I Y-cable/split the signal from the Pre/Pro to two different amp channels, then out to two halves of my M80?

Comments?

Re: bi-amping...
#92540 04/28/05 02:48 AM
shareholder in the making
The first part of The Article has a bit about bi-amping in it. Worth a read.

To all the regulars, no, I don't have any other bookmarks.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#92541 04/28/05 03:05 AM
BR, the type of "passive" biamping that you're describing doesn't appear to be of significant advantage in any living room. Using a Y-connection to send the front left-right outputs to two amp channels each, of course sends a full-range signal to each amp channel. What is sometimes called "true" biamping requires a separate crossover(often electronic)before the amp channels so that each gets only the specific frequencies wanted. It's then necessary to bypass the crossovers in the speakers. Note that passive biamping in no way doubles the available power(as is sometimes suggested), it merely has separate output transistors feeding from one power supply and driving the separate sections of the speaker. Two 100 watt amp channels remain at 100, not 200, watts, and one can't "borrow" from the other in the unlikely situation that more was needed.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#92542 05/23/05 07:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
From Elliott Sound Products:

<<Q: I want to bi-amp my system, but don't want to remove the internal crossovers. Will this work ?

A: Yes, but with some caveats. You will not get the same power gains, since both amps will be reproducing the full frequency range, but you will get some degree of benefit in terms of intermodulation distortion, etc. Overall, this is not the ideal solution, since it is almost the same as bi-wiring, but uses more amplifiers. IMHO it is a waste of time and money.

Q: Can I biamp without an electronic crossover?

A: No. All you will be doing is "active bi-wiring". >>

So I don't need to passive biamp, I need to active biamp to get difference.

So..in order to truly bi-amp you make changes to the inside wiring of speakers and get an electronic crossover.

I'm not going there.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters