Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OT: The Ladder Theory
#93494 05/07/05 01:53 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I had never heard of The Ladder Theory until a fellow over at the av123 forum posted this link. If you have 20 minutes to a half hour to kill (the interval will depend on how much time you waste laughing and/or evaluating the theory), and have pondered the nature of the male/female relationship, this is a GREAT read, with a lot of laughs, and more than just a kernel of truth. I was stunned to reach the end of it, and discover there is actually a forum devoted to the discussion of this theory. Should you take the time to peruse it, be sure to click on the terms which are links so you understand their meaning.

Amie and SonicFox (and any female lurkers), if you are open minded, and are not allergic to profanity, you mind find some humor, and even some insight, in this piece. MIGHT NOT!

Peter, I would think this is right up your alley, but would not be disappointed if it isn't.

All comments or thoughts are welcome.

DISCLAIMER: The thoughts and theories presented in the piece do not, necessarily, reflect those of this poster, and said poster is not responsible for any offense taken by any who may read the theory.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: OT: The Ladder Theory
#93495 05/08/05 05:46 AM
aficionado
aficionado
wow, i'm sensing a little bitterness from that guy! it is funny stuff though.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#93496 05/08/05 01:18 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Definitely NOT a politically correct presentation. I recommend that all readers take parts of the theory seriously, but don't take his presentation seriously. As to his bitterness, he responds, in the "Answers to Common Criticism " section, thusly:

Criticism:You're just bitter.
Answer:Maybe I am. But ladder theory made me that way, my bitterness did not make ladder theory. Attack the theory, not the person behind it. And why does everyone always say I'm bitter just because 99.999% of chicks are *******?

Jack

#93497 05/08/05 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
it's very interesting. there is a lot of truth in there, it just obviously doens't apply to 99.99% of women.

#93498 05/08/05 07:06 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Agreed! He's painting with the very broad (no pun intended ) brush of generality.

Jack

#93499 05/10/05 07:37 AM
buff
buff
"My momma done taught me that if I didn't have nuthin nice to say about someone then don't say nuthin at all."

Enough about the author.

The theory? There is such a thing called the intellect. Absent that, we're a bunch of rutting animals. And as rutting animals, this theory works to an extent. Oh, and there's this thing called love, which is broader than the hierarchy of lust decribed by the ladder theory, that also seems to be absent from the theory. Love for the individual is the basis of my marriage which will be running onto 18 years in a few weeks, here. By all that's holy, neither of us have the bodies we did all those long years ago... and if the ladder theory of attraction was what we had to go on, we'd have left each other a long LONG time ago.

I suppose it may be a reasonable model of the dating/singles scene, but I really am only making a guess here based on stereotypes, since I haven't ever been into that scene.

In reply to:

Most women read this and say something like, "Well I'm not the average woman because..blah...blah...not true...blah blah...my boyfriend/lover/husband/masseuse was poor...blah...blah."

If you thought something like this you are very likely the average woman. If you read it and went "Hmmm..." and then you went back to doing physics, then you have a case.

I'm not the average woman for a lot of reasons!!!!!!! (for one, I'm an Axiom owner, eh? )

Actually, I just finished up doing my physics/engineering chores for the evening before reading the forum tonight and then it's off to bed. So I won't be "getting back to" it until tomorrow night. Even with the delay, I bet I still have a case

For my birthday a couple of weeks back, I bought a BIG hunk of Cherry (4" x 12" x 38") which will be carved into the soundbox of a harp inspired by the 15th century Scottish "Queen Mary" wire strung harp, and I was working out the shape of the harmonic curve to give to my harp maker (http://www.kortier.com/subpages/trinity.htm) given the pitches, expected tensions of the wires and their various gauges and their materials - (spring brass, sterling silver, and 22K gold). It pulls together stuff from my physics, engineering statics, and material science courses from college that I haven't looked at in years. I'm much more focused on acoustic and structural theory than ladder theory tonight!

Enjoy!

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.
#93500 05/10/05 08:30 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I take it this means you play the harp? Just what else are you capable of, oh musically talented, brainy geek who appreciates fine speakers?

#93501 05/10/05 09:46 AM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, Harpo Marx, she ain't. (To those who are unaware, Beth is my niece.)

Jack

#93502 05/10/05 10:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, do I ever feel inadequate!!

Hi, fellow engineer.

I had commented to a co-worker a number of years ago that I had planned a weekend trip to Madrid to get a new classcal guitar; His suggestion: "Make one!"(He was into the rustic arts of home forging of Dimascus steels for knives and in the making of flintlock rifles-from scratch!)

To make a long story short-two years later the guitar was complete, totaly hand made and lots of fun. Not much from physics class though-the string theory is "Plunk" not "Planck"

I may not be the match of your musical instrument endeavors,
but I have managed to outdo you(Ah Ha!)in another area: My wife and I have been married now for over 37 years! Given enough time though, I'm sure you'll "catch up"

At any rate, fellow engineer, instrument maker, marriage maker worker, AND Axiom owner! If I haden't said it before, "Welcome to the Axiom forum"!!

And when your harp is completed, be sure to Send Pictures!!
Rich.

#93503 05/10/05 10:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You're right Jack!(of course you are) I recall, now that I think about it, that you had mentioned that some time ago, and about being proud of an associated accomplishment!!

Good Show!
Rich.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082