Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ended up with Rotel after all…
#93706 05/13/05 03:02 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Got the Rotels hooked up last night. I read somewhere that amps need to “cook”. So I’m letting the turkey bake for a few hours. I think it’s total nonsense, but what the hell, I’ll bite this time.

Some general impressions so far…..

SWEAT!! These babies kick a$$.....

They have plenty o’ oomph. I’m running about 90 db ten feet away with the volume knob at the ten o’clock position. I haven’t turned her past 1 o’clock cause it’s just to frigging loud and Audioslave was scaring mothers and small children across the street in the park. So there is most certainly a difference in that regard between the HK and Rotel. All you folks who like to say wattage/current doesn’t make that big a difference with speaker volume level output can just go…..well, I won’t say it. But you are wrong. Most definitely wrong. Assuming that Rotel is as conservative with their power ratings as HK is, the 1080 has double the wattage as the 7200 and it’ll definitely play much, much louder. Come on up and I’ll prove it to you…… but you have to stay in the room without hearing protection. I’ll even let you have the remote.

I love the tone contour control. Can’t decide which position I prefer yet, but I sure like it. It works slick. Oh this is fun….so many choices… I love it!

I’ll post more after the turkey’s done “cooking” and I have a chance to do some a/b listening.

#93707 05/13/05 04:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's great to hear Mike. To me the RB 1080 along with RC 1070 and the 80s are really a great combination. I know I really enjoy my setup, yup the 10 o'clock position on the 1070 sounds just about right for those dbs...just a smidgen past 12 o'clock is as high as I have had mine and really don't see much need for it to be there, that mofo gets way loud! But like Dennis, every once in a while I do like to hear the 80s sing!

Rick
Our Room

smile
#93708 05/13/05 05:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mike; Great you like Rotel, I was actually sure you would like it!!

I have RC 1070/ RB 1070 combo with RCD-1072 for cds. I more and more think that I should go with RB 1080 as long as I can still do the swap. Not because rb1070 is bad, but I can only imagine how good rb1080 can be, and also will not suffer from the "upgrade bug" anymore.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
#93709 05/13/05 09:03 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
About that cooking thing... are you sure you didn't just misread/mishear it? A long time ago some friends told me that some things sound a lot better if you're baked.

#93710 05/13/05 11:58 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

It's good to see that you are enjoying your new gear.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#93711 05/14/05 02:19 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Baked? I have no idea what you mean by that....LOL

#93712 05/14/05 02:24 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well I think it "baked" all it’s going to. I let her play for about 12 hours, then sat down and really listened to some CD’s that left memorable impressions before, both bad and good. I didn’t really hear any earth shattering differences between the HK and Rotels. However, there is most definitely an improvement overall, which is really quite an accomplishment seeing how I didn’t have much to complain about the HK to begin with.

Just to keep things on par, I used the same speaker wires at the same length. I didn’t move the sub or speakers either. I also ran the Rotel flat without any tone contours selected. I turned the sub off too, so I could listen to the speakers without anything else going on.

First off, like I already mentioned, the Rotels play louder than the HK. Don’t ask me how loud, cause I value my hearing. At close to max volume (as close as I cared to try anyway), things just started to go south. Meaning, it just felt as if the HK was running out of breath and the SQ of music would just not be there. Right around 100 db’s is the max volume the HK could pump out without some sound degradation. Don’t know if that makes any sense to you, but that’s the only way I can describe it. The Rotel’s on the other hand just keep going and going. The music just gets louder and louder and SQ is not affected. Not in the least bit.

After playing the same songs through the HK and Rotels, I couldn’t help notice that everything just sounds more ‘crisp’, ‘clean’, and just basically “more” of everything. Again, hard to explain, but everything just sounded better. With the HK, at around 95 db’s, I could slightly detect a bit of a hiss between tracks and quiet spots in the recordings. I had attributed this to the recordings themselves, but with the Rotel’s, it was gone. I’m ain’t BS’ing either. I went through great pains to re-rout the speaker wires up/down from the HK in the loft to the Rotel’s in the great room to do this. Not every song, as my previous assumptions were probably correct. Some recordings are just bad and have that stinking hiss. But there were most definitely songs where it was gone with the Rotels, but was there with the HK.

One of my favorite groups is Breaking Benjamin. They sound great in my truck (lots of money in my truck system). But before, they didn’t sound so good through the 80’s. Cymbals didn’t sound like they should. It was more like a steady SSSSSSS. With the Rotels, at any volume, I can actually visualize the drum stick hitting the cymbal. The SSSSS is gone and cymbals sound like they should. There was a particular song of Alison Krauss and the Union Station where I didn’t even here the cymbal with the HK. It’s a very light tap that I just didn’t here before. It was there, although very light with the Rote’s. Totally cool….. I’m just loving this new sound coming out of my speakers.

I didn’t detect any noteworthy difference with the mid range. None at all that I can tell. But bass is…., well, just “more”. With the HK I ‘needed’ the sub on. Not much, but a little. I typically ran the sub in between 45 and 60 Hz and volume at 12 o’clock, and about 1 db higher than the speakers. At lower volumes, I really needed the sub to give me a presence of bass. Heck, I thought the 80’s were lackluster with low frequency bass. Well now I have to re-evaluate the need for a sub and eat some crow because the 80’s do pump out some bass. And that was with the tone contour off. After a few hours of messing with it, I think my favorite spot is in the L1 position. There’s an L2 position where the bass contour is about doubled as with the L1 position, but that’s a tad too much for me with most recordings I’ve listened to so far. I don’t much care for the H1 position. It adds some high frequency. Right now I have the sub on, but it’s set at the lowest crossover setting of 30 Hz. It’ll probably stay there too. I still like a little thump thump. But I could definitely live without it if I had to.

In summery, the HK is just dandy for HT and I plan to keep it for my HT room when I finish it. But for stereo, I’m sticking with separates. If you can afford them, I most definitely recommend going that route. If you can’t afford them, don’t sweat it. The differences in SQ are there, but not so much that you’re missing out on anything to fret over, like a good wet tee-shirt contest at Hooters. I’m a happy camper. I’m glad I bought the Rotel’s. I doubt I’d be any happier with NAD or other comparable brand. Now I’m just curious to find out what difference a tube amp would make….LOL… will it ever end??

#93713 05/14/05 02:48 AM
devotee
devotee
edited

Last edited by Thasp; 05/14/05 02:50 AM.
#93714 05/17/05 12:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Huh, I'm also a BB fan but I don't listen to them through my Axiom's very often because quite frankly, they are not one of my better mastered albums. Not bad, but expactantly unimpressive.

#93715 05/17/05 02:33 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Ya, my ears would hurt playing them loud after a while. Now, they sound killer. It was the 'confused' high freq's.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters