Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital grade.
#93771 05/11/05 05:35 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

As far as power conditioning goes, as Alan pointed out, this is nonsense. The actual amplification section of an amplifier doesn't use the supposedly "dirty" AC coming out of the wall.

Agreed. Part of home theatre is video, though, which does benefit in some cases from "clean" power... especially when dealing with RF cable.

Bren R.

#93772 05/11/05 06:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As some of you know I have a fair bit of money invested on the electrical side of my HT system. While I must admit that some of it is overkill, some of it is not. To keep this basic and not draw myself into this debate to far...........(I tend to disagree with the thought that the electrical side of a HT system should be overlooked), I do however agree that when it comes to video and the average house, something should be in the system as far as filtration goes. Does it have to cost $1500.00? Nope. Should it cost more then $25.00? I think so but there is a happy medium.

One that I have found and have been recommending for a long time now is the Tripp Lite HT10DBS. It's a little more money then your average power bar but well worth the investment.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2813

One thing to note as far as my own system goes. The only thing I have plugged into mine are video related devices. DVD, TV, Satellite stuff etc. I don't have any amps or receivers running through it..........and yes, it makes a difference with cleaning up background video noise etc.

#93773 05/11/05 03:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
well that settles it guys, i'm gonna go out to Lowe's and get a diesel generator with nice tight voltage and speed control, run a dedicated circuit to the home theater and use that for the best in viewing satisfaction. of course i'll have to use a really long extension cord so i can't actually hear the diesel, but i'm sure my neighbor down the street won't mind having it in his yard.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#93774 05/11/05 04:09 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
There’s too many threads going on to keep up and keep repeating myself………but I’ll repeat myself one more time and state that I have no idea if a conditioner will improve SQ. I don’t have a friggin clue. What I know for certain though, is that a conditioner will increase longevity of electronic equipment. Fluctuating power cycles are terrible on electronics. Just as bad, if not worse than spikes. So if you have a few grand rapped up in electronics, you ought to consider spending a few hundred more on protective devises to keep your electronic gear out of the repair shop. Warrantees don’t last all that long. Do some research and by what you can afford, but don’t go on the cheap.

#93775 05/11/05 04:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

well that settles it guys, i'm gonna go out to Lowe's and get a diesel generator with nice tight voltage and speed control, run a dedicated circuit to the home theater and use that for the best in viewing satisfaction.

Wow, you guys still use diesel there? After the wartime price hike in fuel here, we all went back to whale oil. Cheap, effective, and the exhaust smells like fish sticks!

Bren R.

Re: Replacing household receptacle by hospital gr
#93776 05/11/05 06:42 PM
local
local
I invested in extention cord--plugged in at the local hospital...

Mark
#93777 05/12/05 09:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Wow, you guys still use diesel there?

i'll just siphon it out of all of the bubba trucks here, it's a lot cheaper when you steal it.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#93778 05/14/05 06:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi mdrew and those who don't already know it all. Here's an observation that may be relevant. I live in a new house, in a new development. The development is located on top of a dunno what, about 2000' above sea level overlooking the Pacific on one side, a canyon on another and the flats at a bit above sea level to the north. This place is as quiet as a tomb. During the day the loudest noise you hear are the birds. At night, it is QUIET.

I demoed my T Amp and my office system for a friend this evening. The T Amp sounded amazing - "that sounds like live music!" my friend said in shocked amazement. He was correct. My office system sounded very good, but not as good. The office system is driven by an Anthem PVA 5 5 channel amp, Sony TA E 9000ES processor, the source was the Cox HD cable box playing 'Soundscapes.' The speakers are the M60 like Michaura M665s, a pair of Mission 77ds surrounds, a highly modified Merak MC6H center with 2x6.5" Axiom aluminum drivers and a horn tweeter, a Dahlquist PDQ1500 15" sub and a Klipsch LF10 stacked in that order.

Anyway, it is now almost 12 midnight and I notice that the sound of the office system has improved terrifically from what it sounded like at 8 PM. The ambient noise level is the same, that is to say, it is insignificant. Now, maybe there are fewer folks drawing on the cable company's resources, or maybe the line voltage goes up a bit late at night as folks turn off their appliances and lights and go to bed. Maybe it has something to do with the electricity. I know I am not the only one who has noticed an improvement in the sound of my solid state equipment late at night. Maybe all the 'well designed' solid state equipment is not impervious to the electricity coming from the mains, into the house, and into our sound systems.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#93779 05/14/05 01:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
And,

Where did you get your degree in electrical engineering?

What scientific method did you use in your analysis?

What type of test equipment did you use?

How was it calibrated.

Going to tell us, now, that moster cable sounds better than other "quality" cable??

Not intended to flame but...............

Someone who knows something, but not everything!

The Rat.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#93780 05/14/05 01:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
On a more technical note, the listening differences could actually be a function of the thermal differences in your listening environment. Temperature/ humidity/ pressure can change the way sound waves are transmitted and reflected off of the walls, windows, etc.

Just something else to consider.

The Rat.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters