Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axiom's speaker shipment has arrived "setup time"
#94452 05/16/05 03:44 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hey folks,

The Axiom HT speakers arrived!! It took less then 48 hours from Axiom through Fed Ex, even with a local delivery company to shuttle out to the outskirts. That is traveling from Southern Ontario to Manitoba. To drive this distance, would take close to 25 or 30 hours.

All boxes arrived in one piece. I was happy to see no damages and everything arrived together. I ordered a pair of M80's, a VP150, 4-QS8's and the EP600 sub, plus a bunch of hardware.

I purchased from the factory, but you wouldn't know it. I could not find any blemishes "at all". Totally satisfied with that decision!

I have a 4000 cu/ft room to fill and with initial sound testing, the system is perfectly sized. By that statement, I mean the system performs to all my expectations and limited only by my comfort level, not by the speakers or by the amp limitations.

To power the system, I combined the NAD T773 (110 watts per channel, all channels powered) with the Anthem MCA 3 (somewhere around 250 watts per channel into the 4 ohm, with all 3 channels powered and I am running only the 2 front channels).
The MCA 3 amp is used specifically for the M80's. It is a really nice stereo combo. It meets my fullest expectations. As far as the NAD's 7 channels; I power the center channel, the 4 surrounds and use the unused front L/R channels for my recently purchased Monitor Audio S8's in the living room upstairs.

I did a little A/B comparison with the M80's and S8's. They are nice sounding speakers, but expect to pay twice more then the price of the M80's.

As for setting this stuff up, I must let you know; the last time I purchased a home stereo was back when they sold only "stereo" systems (almost 20 yrs ago). Needless to say it was time! I had no problem with speaker wiring and or placement but sorting out the receiver was a lot of "fun". I finally sorted out the surround sound setups and of course the stereo modes. I spent several hours enjoying the music and comparing the S8's with the M80's. They are both beautiful sounding speakers. I watched a couple of great action flicks and finally had to sort out all the boxes and tools before the wife had my knackers in the vise.

The 7.1 speaker setup is just what the doctor ordered! I was a little worried that my expectations were going to be a little too high. Once before, several years back, I had similar expectations when joining the computer age. I bought the leading edge PII-233 with very high recommendations. I expected big things and was upset to see how slow they still operated. I probably should have experienced the old Commodore to have a better perspective.

Either way, this speaker system purchase, met my expectations completely and totally. The sound is crystal clear, accurate, and undistorted to my listening level limits. The Boston Cherry is a great mix with the black grills. The sub is a movie making magic machine.

The only thing I have to watch out for is keeping the neighbors happy. I'll just have them over more often to watch the movies with us.

As far as the setup goes, I struggled with the receiver settings mostly. I didn't have a problem with the stereo setup, but it took some time to get the surrounds working the way I wanted. Mounting was not a problem at all. I used the Axiom QS8 wall mounting brackets without a hitch. I will have to spend many more hours of time working with all the functions and settings provided for by the receiver. I still have to get the cable setup and the FM radio settings sorted out. First things first, will be the Monitor Audio S8's wired and placed in the living room. Then I'll get back to the receiver and remote consolidation.

One problem I have bumped into is some hum in the mains. I tried both the M80's and the S8's with the same hum. I plugged the speaker wires into the receiver instead of the amp with the same results. I shut everything off except the amp and the speakers and it still makes the very low level hum. I tried not to cross power wires if possible, but could do a little better as I get sorted out. "ANY SUGGESTIONS". I also got lucky on a purchase of a Belkin Pure AV Isolation Ht surge protector and filter rated at 4720 joules, with 10 outlets (almost twice monster ratings). The Office Depot I purchased from didn't have many HT customers come in and was selling it at 1/3 regular price. I didn't cut corners on cabling either, if anything my year old component video monster cables are the weak point. Speaker wire is standard 12 gauge multi strand. Is there some trick to sorting out the hum issue or is it always there when sound isn't being produced. Is this maybe why people spend lots of extra dollars on component power cords?

I will get some photo's together one of these days and add them to the forum. I sure am happy I took the step up and bought the larger system. It is perfect for my size of room and my requirements.

As a note for the M80's; my kids came down stairs several times expecting to see the sub working, as the glass fish hanging from their ceilings upstairs were vibrating from the M80's bass alone. You should have seen the big eyes and smiles from ear to ear when the EP600 was fired up!

I imagine I will spend a few days sorting the rest of the system setups, while enjoying the tunes and the odd movie. I figure I may have a couple more problems to run through the forum before everything settles out. Up until now, thanks to all in their advice and recommendations.

Troy

M80 VP150 4-QS8 EP600 Monitor Audio S8 NAD T 773 Anthem MCA3 II Hitachi 57" projection
Re: Axiom's speaker shipment has arrived "setup time"
#94453 05/16/05 03:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Very nice. Congrats on the new system. I have been trying to get down to the SF area to hear Dennis (Tharkun)'s system; maybe I can just go to Manitoba instead...

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: Axiom's speaker shipment has arrived "setup time"
#94454 05/16/05 04:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The hum very likely is a ground loop. Do you have cable tv or a satellite receiver hooked up? Try disconnecting them to see if the hum goes away.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044