Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need opinions- developing a new 3D 5.1 format
#94719 05/17/05 04:11 PM
royce73 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
My uncle and a friend of his are going into business together, developing an new 3D surround format for music and movies. In short, my uncle's friend has developed a new technology where he can add a 3d effect to the current surround formats and my uncle is handling the business side. I actually got a chance to listen to a few movies and songs using the new technology and I was impressed. The 3d aspect added a new dimension of realism to sound. You could almost tell how high a plane flew over your head based on the sound reproduction starting from the surrounds and ending at the fronts. The project is pretty full spead ahead - the patent has been submitted and is awaiting for approval. My uncle's friend is well connected in the hi-fi business. He has many contacts within DTS, Harman Kardon, and knows prominient individuals such as David Chesky. In fact, DTS has shown some interest in helping to develop the new format. The only thing they need now is a business plan. This is where you guys come in. I am hoping you guys can help me identify markets where this technology could be useful.

So far, I recommended that they start looking at classical music. I figured that fans of classical are probably more affluent than normal and are willing to spend the money for a sound that replicates a live performance. I also think that fans of classical are also more likely top buy hi-def recordings than rock or rap fans, who would be just as happy with a free mp3 download.

I also recommended talking to receiver manufactuerers like Denon and HK, who could integrate the new sound format into future generations of receivers. I thought the new HD-DVD/Bluray formats could also benefit from this new format down the road.

Any other thoughts? Please feel free to share with me your ideas. Who do we market this to? Should we concern ourselves with prodcuing content or just providing the new sound format? Do you guys think you would be interested in this technology down the road? I anxiously await your feedback and will share it with my uncle. I can try to get more technical information if that helps also.

Re: Need opinions- developing a new 3D 5.1 format
#94720 05/17/05 06:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
movie theatres

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457